“Good experience” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I read the other reviews of this property and thankfully, my experience was quite different. I arrived at the hotel at 1 a.m., exhausted from my trip and was pleased to have a clean bed and room - the bathroom was spotless and the beds were very comfortable. I found the hotel and area to be very quiet. I had to be back on the road by 7 a.m. so I was able to partake of their breakfast which began at 6 a.m. I was very pleased with their offerings! Warm eggs, waffles, and fresh fruit were amongst the regular continental fare of toast and cereal. The front desk person was extremely helpful and sensitive when I encountered a huge problem with my airline triple charging my luggage fee and depleting my funds reserved for the hotel. Luckily, I had cash on hand and paid for my room. At 1 a.m. and 3,000 miles from home, you could imagine the stress I was under but the clerk was very patient and accommodating. Now, the only reason I did not give this hotel 5 stars was because it did not have an elevator and I had to carry my luggage up the stairs. Not a problem for healthy travelers but a problem for those with bad backs such as mine. Also, and unfortunately, the hotel ended up double charging me making my financial situation worse. Luckily, the charges were reversed but I could have done without the added stress! I imagine it was because I paid cash at the hotel and Best Western charged my credit card on file due to my late arrival. Despite those two experiences, I would stay here again. I really liked the area, the breakfast, room layout and the restful stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the first floor if you are unable to carry your luggage upstairs.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Dear NanIKan,

Thank you very much for writing such a detailed review of your experience at our hotel. We take all of our guests’ feedback very seriously so that we can always strive to improve your experience.

We are very happy to hear that you had a good experience staying with us and that we were able to take care of your needs. We do our best to accommodate our guests with anything they might need and breakfast and a clean room are two essentials that we try to make sure is taken care of for our guests.

We would like to let you know that if you or anyone that is staying with us in the future needs any help carrying luggage up or down the stairs to let us know. Our front desk team will be more than happy to help carry your luggage or find someone who can. We are also very sorry for the double charging your card, we certainly didn’t mean to cause you any additional stress as traveling causes enough on its own. It seems the issue was the culmination of a few unfortunate circumstances but we will be more vigilant to catch issues like this now so it doesn’t happen again.

We are looking forward to the next time you are in the area and we have another chance to serve you and hopefully provide an even better experience.

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Cary, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I booked this hotel several months back, when it was more highly rated here. I was a bit surprised to find it very much a 1970s-80s style motel, down to the dark, tired carpet, and generic wooden furniture. I was even more surprised when I checked the bed, to find that the sheets appeared not to have been changed.

The top sheet was grey, and the bottom sheet badly creased. When I called the front desk I was told that someone would come by with fresh sheets. When I asked whether that person would also CHANGE the sheets, there was a pause, and then I was offered a different room. That room did have better-looking sheets, along with a coverlet that had been missing in the first room. Unfortunately, it also had a noisy heat/AC unit - at first I thought someone was using a chain saw outside, although it toned down a bit later on. I could also clearly hear water running in adjacent rooms.

After filling in an online survey with the above information, I received an email explaining that they had been having a problem with the washing machine which left the sheets grey, and had now fixed the problem. I find this explanation inadequate. First, why would one room have grey sheets and not another? Second, it doesn't explain the creased bottom sheet, nor the missing coverlet. Third, it appears I was expected to change the king-sized bed myself if I hadn't objected.

Some posters have rated the hotel highly because of the airport shuttle, but it's an airport hotel! I certainly wouldn't stay at an airport hotel that did not have a free shuttle. The shuttle was prompt, and aside from wanting me to change my own sheets I found the front desk staff helpful. The breakfast buffet was adequate, but I would have preferred an on-site restaurant to trekking across to the rather raucous O'Malley's Pub in the Holiday Inn.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Hello Thursdaysd,

Thank you very much for providing such a detailed review of our hotel. We take all of our guests’ reviews and feedback very seriously so we can always strive to improve.

We are very sorry for the experience you had at our hotel and we would like to assure you that we are taking steps to correct the problems. We are making sure that the housekeeping team is extra diligent to remove sub-standard sheets from our guests’ rooms and following up with stricter inspections. We are going to have the engineering team address all of the A/C and Heating units in our room t omake sure they aren’t making a disturbing amount of noise.

We are very sorry for this lapse in service and would like to assure you that this is not typical at the hotel and we are working to make everything right. We hope that you will give us a second chance the next time you are in the Dulles area so we have another chance to serve you.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

We stayed one night at this hotel after an evening arrival at Dulles airport, and had booked 2 rooms. The service was fine, the rooms were ok, breakfast was ok, the price was ok. We aren't keen on hotel doors opening to an external walkway (we were 2 women travelling alone) but there's not much they can do about that.

We used the laundry room which had coin operated washer and dryer. There was no washing detergent available so we had to walk across to a gas station to buy some. I didn't think that was very satisfactory.

Overall we weren't unhappy with our stay but would make a different choice next time.

We ate at O'Malley's which is located in the Holiday Inn next door.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2011
Hello CheddarHouseAU

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us. We take all of our guests’ feedback seriously so we can always improve.

We are very happy to hear that we were able to provide you with a comfortable stay but are disappointed we didn’t “wow” you. We do the best to provide for our guests and take care of anything they need. We do have laundry detergent and many other toiletries and necessities at the front desk for our guests to purchase without going across to the gas station.

We hope that you would be willing to give us a second chance the next time you are in the area.

Sterling, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Very disappointed, I checked into what is marked as one rating and boy it's way off, as some of the others here have said, cheapest in the area and not worth it, spend $40 more and you will be thanking yourself in the morning. I travel 20 weeks out of the year and this hotel ranks at the lowest in the past 18 months of my traveling. One might suspect some of the 4-5 star reviews here are not from guest... If I were to go over the list of all that needed to be fixed in the room, I would be wasting too much time for all of us...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Richard T,

We are extremely sorry that you did not have a good experience at our hotel. We would have been very interested in hearing your specific feedback so that we can address the exact issues that caused a problem for you. We take all feedback very seriously so that we can always strive to improve our guest experience.

Having said that, we would like to assure you that ALL the reviews posted here on TripAdvisor are genuine reviews from actual guests.

We hope that you will give us a second chance the next time you are in the Dulles area so that we can prove to you that the other great reviews on TripAdvisor are not an anomaly.

Keller, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Employees were friendly, service was good and breakfast was okay. Rooms are another matter. Mildew smell in bathroom, wallpaper in bathroom slit and curled from top to bottom. Room has seen better days. Sheets and towels are worn and need replacing. Thankfully, we were only there for one night with early flight the next day. I've seen worse, but I probably would not stay here again unless I was stranded.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn, responded to this review, September 5, 2011
Dear woffer,

We very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We care very much about our guests' feedback and take it seriously so we can always improve.

We are glad that you had a positive experience with our staff and that they were able to make you fell welcomed. We appreciate you taking the time to bring some of the issues you experienced in your room. The problems you had will certainly be addressed and I would like to assure you that these are not typical issues in our rooms.

We hope that you will give us a second chance to prove how great our hotel is the next time you are in the Dulles area.

Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

The Best Western Dulles Airport is not at Dulles Airport, but some miles away. At least they have a shuttle that runs on the half-hour, or when summoned. Many things at the hotel troubled us, some of which were beyond the hotel’s ability to correct. There was no cellular connectivity for my phone or my wife’s, and we have two different providers. The hotel has wireless Internet, a LAN and a telephone. None of them worked. The phone was ‘turned on’ after we called the front desk. We had been traveling for 24 hours and did not have the patients or energy to do more than complain about the problems with the Internet. Alas, noise outside our hotel window awakened us about every 10 minutes. This went on until well after midnight. This speaks of the low construction standards for this facility. To make matters worse, this was the worst bed in which I have slept in well over a decade. It was uncomfortable, creaked with every slight movement and provided inadequate support. We did not expect much of a breakfast, and were not surprised. There were many selections, but of a low-grade quality – although the coffee was good. The staff tried their best. They were friendly, but there were not enough of them to deal with the customer load. We stayed at this Best Western because we were between flights. I did not see a need to spend the extra $20-50 that a better hotel would have cost. Bad decision! That good night’s rest would have been worth every dollar that we saved. As an afterthought, why does a hotel advertise that we can save the environment if we use our towel an extra day and then serves us with Styrofoam plates and plastic cutlery? Does the soap and water hurt the environment more than all the plastic? Or, does it save the hotel costs in the long run?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2011
Dear DonPaulo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and thorough review of your stay. We take all of our guests' feedback very seriously so that we can always improve.

We are sorry for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. Not having the internet an phone working when you arrived must have been frustrating. We hope that the cell reception didn't cause too much trouble but as you pointed out there isn't much we can do about that. We are taking your feedback about breakfast and the soundproofing to heart and we are coming up with solutions to remedy these problems.

We hope that the next time you are in the area you will give us a second chance to show you we can do it right!

The Best Western Dulles Airport Inn Team
Dahlonega, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is a standard motel-style setup with external doors on two levels, convenient for Dulles airport. There's a free shuttle with helpful staff from the airport (from pickup point 2H, extreme right as you leave the airport), but you need to ring the hotel (703) 471 8300 to call it. Breakfast is basic with polystyrene plates and long-life muffins, etc. There is no restaurant at this Best Western site, but you can get a meal at the Irish pub in the nearby (150 yards) Holiday Inn.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
FrankOhara, Owner and Management Representative at BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Hello Rodhake,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review of your time staying with us. We are glad to hear that we were able to deliver what you needed during your stay and hopefully provide you with a great value.

We are looking forward to the next time you are in the area and we have another chance to serve you.

The Best Western Dulles Airport Inn Team

Been to BEST WESTERN Dulles Airport Inn? Share your experiences!