“Fresh” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #105 of 203 Restaurants in Sterling
Cuisines: Pakistani
Description: Indo-Pak Restaurant Events, catering, gluten-free and vegetarian offerings
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Fresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012 via mobile

Went here just to try it out ...have been back four times and will return soon. Delicious food and I love the chicken tika.

Sterling, Virginia
“Great Food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

We tried this restaurant last night based upon the other reviews. I was really shocked when we walked in - not quite what I expected from the pictures on the website. They do not provide table service. We ordered at the counter and waited for our food to arrive. There were only 2 other occupied tables, but the take out business was brisk during the entire meal. The menu was extensive. We started with hummas which was very tasty. We had lamb and beef kabobs as our entrees. The meals were fantastic. The meat was tender, the rice light, fluffy and flavorful and the side "vegetable" was a bean dish that was to die for. Each entree came with a small salad and a mint dressing, which we used on both the meat and salad. We will go again, but only for take out - I hate eating with plastic utensils.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sterling, Virginia, USA
“BLOW YOUR MIND TASTY”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

This is literally the most robust and belligerently succulent food I have ever encountered. It blows all the other restaurants in the area of like kind out of the water. If I ever end up on death row, I am ordering take out from there for my last meal.

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tucson, Arizona
“WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

Went there. Consumed the food. Needless to say, it was epic. Had this one dish that was phenomenal. Super Authentic. I would know. Thanks.

• Visited May 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington DC
“Great flavors, generous portions, gluten-free deliciousness and sweets, too.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2011

Kabob is just one of the things that my friendly host John and his brother Zafar do exceptionally well. Khyber calls itself "Indo-Pak" for good reason - the Pakistani influence in these standard dishes is a little flavor fusion party on your plate. John is clearly committed to caring for his customers and was committed to making sure everything I ordered was gluten free. Those of us who are gluten free often accept that, when trying to eat on the go, we sacrifice flavor in favor of not being hit with hidden gluten. So, the fantastic flavors and quality here were kind of like hitting the GF jackpot!

And now, on to the food. Kabobs are served with a hearty helping of earthy, smoky chickpeas that will leave your lips buzzing with spice (definitely not boring, but also not too spicy for newbies or decidedly American palates). Lightly seasoned rice and a little shredded lettuce salad w/ tomato, cucumber and red onion come along for the ride. If that wasn't enough to fill you, the kabob platter also comes with bread (I did not partake, being gluten-free). The gluten-free offerings abound and you won't even miss the delicious-looking sweets if you can't have them (contain milk and, in some, wheat).

Starting with the kabobs, they come in a number of varieties - chicken Makhani , chicken Masala (boneless or bone-in), lamb and beef. The portions are generous, probably between 1-2 chicken breasts on a skewer. This gal made 3 meals out of one boneless (all white meat) Masala kabob platter. I have to admit to also ordering a side of well-spiced, perfectly cooked veggie pakora, which disappeared completely on the drive home, probably contributing to the stretching of the main meal:-)

The marinade on the Masala Chicken is, thankfully, not an Americanized version of masala, which made this "out of the blue" find a nice surprise. The chicken was perfectly cooked, yellow-orange from the spices, juicy and just ever so slightly charred on the edges. Perfect tandoori chicken. Even better on day two and would be fabulous in a wrap - yes, they do wraps, too!

Chickpeas are a favorite at my house. We dry them and toss them with garam masala for a snack. At Khyber, chickpeas are sauteed with an earthy spice mixture and served like a stew, much like Indian channa masala, but with spices that seemed to allow the chickpeas' natural nuttiness to come through. I've eaten a lot of really good channa masala but like this version much better.

The pakora, served without sauce, was a little bit of a salty experience, but I suspect that asking for a lesser dusting would do the trick here. Khyber's chickpea flour 'dumpling' holds the perfect combination of onions and a variety of little chopped veggies. So tasty, they disappeared completely on the 60 minute trip home. Whoops! I am curious as to what an Indo-Pak interpretation of dipping sauce is and will ask when I get out that way again in a few weeks.

Location, location, location. This friendly, tasty pit-stop is a tiny bit tough to find if you're not familiar with the area. You can't see it from Rt. 7 so follow your GPS to Community Plaza and go all the way to the end of the row of shops. You'll be well rewarded when you arrive.

Reasonable prices, great flavors, generous portions, a roomy space, available catering and events, and a delightfully friendly owner are all good reasons to visit. Khyber, I'll see you in a few weeks!

• Visited April 2011