“Great climbing lesson!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 18 things to do in Sterling
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great climbing lesson!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This is for the SportRock climbing center in Arlington.

I took a beginner climbing class and I loved it! I have climbed before, but never belayed with an ATC, so I had to get certified. I was nervous about taking a full 2-hour lesson and thought it would be a bit redundant. However, I was pleasantly surprised! Our teacher was very professional, but also made it an enjoyable experience! He covered all of the important safety information in an interactive way. The gym wasn't too busy and had a lot of space, so I stayed and climbed afterwards. I would definitely come back!

The only downside was the staff at the front desk were pretty unenthused to say the least.

Visited June 2014
Jessica-Sportrock, Public Relations Manager at Sportrock Climbing Center, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Hi Amber,

Thanks for leaving a review - we are working on getting our listings straight with Trip Advisor. I am so glad to hear you had a wonderful experience in our Basic Skills class, but it is disappointing that you found our staff to be disinterested. Customer service, and of course safety, are our top priorities. If you have any additional feedback you would be willing to share, feel free to email me anytime. I would love to know what day you took your class so I can pass on your praise to our instructor. I hope you visit Sportrock again some time soon!

Thanks!

Jessica
jessica@sportrock.com

12 attraction reviews
“Great for novice and pros”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

As a regular indoor climber since 2006, I have climbed at several gyms and am a Sportrock member. There are a variety of routes on each wall (5.6 to 5.12a/b), a dedicated boulder section (bigger than most other gyms), a cardio/ weight room ( smaller than other gyms), a yoga room, lockers ( no showers), a cardio rock wall and a training room. The place is spacious and not as cramped as some other gyms. I like SR, because the flooring is solid thick matting, not rubber bits, the family oriented atmosphere and openness. It gets crowded between 5-7 pm weekdays and noon-4 pm weekends; however, most people do not mind if you join the rotation and the wait is at most 5 minutes unless the jounior team is practicing or there is an event. I've been on Friday night when there aren't but 5 people, including staff. They sell drinks, sometimes have free snacks on Wednesday and rent/sell gear. They also offer classes, sponsor competitions and have a great team building event. Plenty of parking. Fun for any age and skill level.

Jessica-Sportrock, Public Relations Manager at Sportrock Climbing Center, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thanks for the awesome review! You provided great details for any new climber looking to try out Sportrock and we are so glad you have had a positive experience.
Reston, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Interesting new experience...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Finally decided to try indoor rock climbing. It was easy to make a reservation and find the place. Once we got there staff is very nice and friendly. Our instructor Bobby was very patient and outgoing, making us feel confident as we were learning. Practicing on the "learning" wall was pretty easy and I was pretty excited. After the class was over we got to practice in real walls. There were few walls that were for beginners and since it was later in the day there were a lot of people. The place is not that big, not a huge problem, but you have to wait until others are done. My friend and I decided to try a couple of walls, but they were quite hard for beginners, so we only got about 1/3 of the way up. We will still return and practice more. Overall, a great experience. I recommend you try this place!!! :)

Visited January 2013
Potomac Falls, Virginia
4 attraction reviews
“Nice Facility and Good with Kids”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This place has a nice variety of rock walls and does a nice job with kids parties.

Visited April 2012
Reston, Virginia
12 attraction reviews
“I'm a member & love it here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2012

I've been a member of this gym for years now and love bringing friends (especially w/ kids) here to experience climbing. The staff are nice and helpful. A great alternative for activity in the area. :-)

Visited February 2012