“Simply a total sensory delight” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mokomandy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 205 Restaurants in Sterling
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Korean
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Algonkian Parkway
Transit: Great Falls Plaza - Loudoun County Commuter Bus
Description: Modern. Korean. Cajun.
Sterling, Virginia, United States
“Simply a total sensory delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Lived in Sterling for 16 years and I have finally found a restaurant that rivals places I have been to around the globe. It is a very small space hidden in a rather non descript strip mall in Sterling, Va. The restaurant is beautifully designed in contemporary fashion with large comfortable chairs. It feels clean and inviting. Our server was very efficient and friendly. This restaurant has only been here for 3 years but the word is absolutely out and you will need a reservation. I love great food but I really appreciate food presentation. The menu is only one page long and I appreciate that they are not trying to create so many dishes that they lose their unique style. The food was light and you could taste the freshness. We even had room for desert which never happens! I will recommend this restaurant highly to anyone who appreciates fine food, beautiful presentation and affordable prices!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Harwich, Massachusetts
“One of the few things we miss about NoVa”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I should have written this review before but it's been a busy year. We moved from NoVa to MA last year. Where we are now living has some wonderful restaurants but we really, really, really miss Mokomandy. We probably ate there 5 or 6 times in the year before we moved. Everything is exceptional. It's the kind of place where you really don't want to eat all day so you have room for all the exquisite (but rich) food. I can't say what our favorite was because everything is so good...maybe the fois gras dumplings or the scallop BLT. Do try the snacks and sides just to experience them. We became addicted to the Fried Kale Chips. The service was always wonderful. This is truly a one of a kind gem. Can't wait to go visit family so we can have dinner here.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Herndon, Virginia
“Not a burger in sight! :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Beguiling mix of Cajun and Korean, Mokomandy offers an extremely unusual menu and delivers delightfully different tastes. The menu is divided into three sizes of portions plus a selection of tasters (DO try the cracklins, best ever) and so one is able to pace the meal without filling up on an overly large first course. An unusual and comprehensive beer list is also offered.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Herndon, Virginia
“Different and Creative Dinning”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We went to this restaurant for the first time and it left me with mixed feelings. The concept is novel; mixing different styles of foods. The tastes were unique and mostly satisfying. The portions were uniquely sized offering a variety of appetite options. The atmosphere was modern and clean. The service was congenial and efficient. I guess what hit me the hardest was the price. It seemed as if the price was a little steep for the food we ate. We will try it again. MAke sure to have reservations if you want to go on a Saturday.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Sublime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We came here for a birthday dinner early on a Thursday evening to avoid the crowds. I really had to coerce my husband since neither Cajun nor Korean cuisines are his forte. In the end, he was happy and was talking about our next visit.
The restaurant is small and cozy, although the mirrors make it look a lot larger. We were promptly seated and the server explained that the menu has small, medium and large dishes served in a family shared atmosphere. He also mentioned that dishes come out sequentially rather than all at once. Armed with that information we looked over the menu and settled on the poutine (I had to see what they would do to this Quebec favorite) and scallops with sweet potatoes. The poutine arrived first and was the best presentation of this dish I've ever seen. The gravy had a distinct southern bacon flavor and went real well with the crisp potatoes. The cheese is made daily in house, so it was even fresher than what you get in Quebec. It blended beautifully with the fries and sauce. To top the dish off, there was thinly sliced Cajun sausage and thickly sliced pieces of bacon. Sometimes fries go limp after being in the gravy for awhile, but these stood the test of time.
About a couple minutes into the poutine, the scallops arrived. The five large scallops were lined up over the slices of sweet potatoes and next to that was an artistically done swath of pea compote and tangy sauce. It was also served with bok choy. I claimed the scallops as my own and they were tender and juicy. The sauces added just the right flavor enhancement. The sweet potatoes had a crust that made them even sweeter, so my husband claimed those. I've never been a fan of bok choy, but this restaurant could change my mind. It tasted freshly picked!
We didn't even know they had a dessert menu until our server asked if we cared for some. We chose the gateau au sirop and the pineapple cake and shared. The gateau is a slice of sweet upon sweet, in a good way. The dollop of ice cream and pecans on top helped cut the sweetness down to a manageable level. The pineapple cake was served warm with a cherry whipped topping. They worked real well together. My husband preferred the gateau, while I think I liked the pineapple cake better. There are still at least five other desserts awaiting our next visit.
The service was great while we were there. No less than three staff members came to ask if we needed refills or how we liked the food. It's good to go on a slow night! I'm looking forward to our next visit. It's really a culinary adventure.

• Visited May 2013