“Not for the faint of heart” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mokomandy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 205 Restaurants in Sterling
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Korean
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Algonkian Parkway
Transit: Great Falls Plaza - Loudoun County Commuter Bus
Description: Modern. Korean. Cajun.
Ashburn, Virginia
“Not for the faint of heart”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We had a great meal for our anniversary a few weeks ago and we're looking forward to going back to try some of their other items. However, if you are not too adventurous, you may want to tread lightly when visiting this spot. My husband and I enjoy experiencing out the box cooking - and this was pretty out there in our book, I mean cajun-korean? Heck yeah! So, we took the tapas approach and ordered a few of their small disher and two medium dishes as our entrees. All in all, they were very good, creative and nicely presented. I think I didn't care too much for the crispy kale - the oiliness of it made it too rich for my palate and I didn't eat it all, but I think hubby was ok with it (though he's not a kale lover).

The overall experience was Good, above Average, but below Very good (no such option in the Tripadvisor rating). So why just Good? For starters, our anniversary fell on a Wednesday, so we thought it wouldn't be too crazy - although hearing the 'buzz' of this place, I made reservations for 7:30. We were starving, and though we were seated promptly, there were only 2 waiters and they.were.busy. Our waiter finally got a chance to come over and take our drink orders about 10 minutes after we were seated - did I mention we were famished - and although he was really nice, because he was so busy he really did not have time to go over menu items and walk us through during our first experience there. If you're a restaurant with a new concept, I believe you should help 'set expectations' for new patrons - just from a hospitality standpoint and a personal preference. We missed out on this because they were so busy!

We ordered snack and tapas and went to town because we were so hungry, and we weren't sure when dude was going to get a chance to come back. I stuck with a glass of wine rather than trying a cocktail, hubs got a beer - we kept it simple. The snacks and tapas began to slowly trickle in, and then our entrees showed up about an hour after we were seated - yes, an hour - but by this time our savage hunger had been tamed with the prior snacks and tapas and we were borderline beginning to feel full.

In the end, our hungry-eyes got the best of our stomachs and we were unable to finish our meal. So no desserts were sampled in this visit. Shame, since at this time, our waiter began to have a little more time to help us out and was definitely giving us more attention. Thanks, but no thanks.

Bill was on the pricey side, but I thought was fair given all we ordered and the creativity in the plates. I've had meals at haute cousine restaurants with a thousand year-old structure shipped in from some remote locale in Europe and at hole in the wall places with graffiti on the wall - I do not discriminate a place for it's location, as long as the food is delicious, I am happy. If this place turns you off because it's in an unassuming strip mall in suburban Virginia - it's on you and honestly, you're missing out. Kudos to the chef for creativity, though it may not be for everyone.

We hope to go back and discover a 'slow night' so we can really dive into the menu and try other items.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Sterling, Virginia
“Fabulous Brunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Went there on the 19th celebrate a birthday with my 5 friends. Of course we made reservations - thank goodness because it was packed. It's a small restaurant that has a big following so reservations are almost always needed. It's a little loud inside, but I'm getting used to that in restaurant design these days.

The food was wonderful. My friends could not stop raving about the eggs benedict. I had the omelet with goat cheese...mmm mmm good! You have got to try the orange ginger mimosa...a delicious refreshing start to the morning.

Definitely will go back again!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fairfax, Virginia
“Interesting mix of menu items - very tasty dishes!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Went for dinner on a Saturday night with my sister and two nieces. The restaurant is in a strip mall but don't let the location fool you. The food is fine-dining quality. We tried some of the snacks such as fried kale and jalapeño hushpuppies - excellent! And we also shared a few menu items (tapas style) like the pot roast sliders and house made pasta with mushrooms. The bulgolgi beef entree gave the most bang for the buck. And the shrimp étouffée reminded me of lobster bisque in a good way. They also had a very reasonable children's menu with very tasty French fries. We didn't try any desserts but we saw a lot of tables getting the beignets and they looked awesome. It's a somewhat pricey restaurant but its worth it for the variety and quality of the dishes.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Can't keep it a secret anymore...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Its small, unassuming, next to a Dunkin Donuts and Subway, amazingly wonderful restaurant with incredible food in Sterling Va. Other writers have said that its a small place and sometimes it is cramped but its in Sterling, Va not in DC where just trying to drive into and out of in all the traffic requires patience and determination not to mention trying to find a parking space and at the end of it all not being too stressed that you can't enjoy the food which is really the reason you come to this restaurant - the food is unique and flavorful and doesn't fit into the mold of your better known expensive food chains that give you the basics no matter what location you are in - this food is Cajun Korean and the combinations are truly wonderful - the kale chips rock as does the pot roast sliders and kimchi pancakes but then you have the beef beloggi and the shrimp and grits and steak frites which makes you want to come back again and again - so make a reservation and remember that it is a small place but take a breathe and realize that you don't have to be a 'warrior' heading into battle trying to manueuver your way around the Belt Way traffic, all you have to do is drive right up and enjoy

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Herndon, Virginia
“Cramped, pretentious, but tastey”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

warning: don't sit anywhere near the door as there is no barrier when the door opens to the cold winds. food was flavorful, but small portions. Server was pretentious when we inquired further explanation on one of the dishes, like we were putting him off. $75 with no alcohol for 2 people seemed excessive. Maybe we got them on an off night?

• Visited March 2013