“Delicious!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Update restaurant details
Reserve with OpenTable
Update
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 202 restaurants in Sterling
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Korean
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Algonkian Parkway
Transit: Great Falls Plaza - Loudoun County Commuter Bus
Description: Modern. Korean. Cajun.
Northern Virginia
“Delicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We did the recommended sharing. We ordered 3 entrees (one of each size) and 3 desserts, because we couldn't choose. We started with the Kobe Carpaccio. It was super fine shaved beef with sprouts, pine nuts and pears. There was some kind of sauce that was absolutely delicious. After, we got the Modern Korean Scallops. This was easily the best dish that we tasted tonight. The scallops were cooked perfectly. The sweet potato! I can even believe a sweet potato could taste like that. The kochu mayonnaise was completely unnecessary and we left it on the plate. The third thing was the Steak frites. The steak was perfectly cooked, but was a little bland. The bok choy was delicious. The carrots were yummy. The sweet potato fries were amazing, especially the ones that were in the red wine reduction.

The desserts, we got the beignets, which taste like the ones I make at home. Yay! We also got the Gateau de Sirop. It was cake with sort of burnt sugar layers. Absolutely delicious. It was topped with apple sauce and ice cream with a touch of pepper on top. Whoever came up with this dish is my new hero. The third dessert was Chocolate, caramel, chicory. I didn't expect to like this, because I don't like coffee, but it was really good. It was the chicory pudding with dollops of cream and homemade dark chocolate salted caramels. Yum. Our bill (with no drinks, because we got water) was $72. It was a bit pricy, but for the freshness and quality, it was worth it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

94% Recommend
Sterling, Virginia
“Let Down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We tried this restraunt for the first time based on location (walking distance) and word-of-mouth recommendations. Perhaps I have traveled to too many countries, but I felt let down by the food and the service. I encouraged our friends to join us and felt embarrased afterwards. The waiter told us about the sharing concept but never provided us appropriate plates, etc. to allow that to happen. Not knowing any better, we each ate the dish intended to be shared. Also the food was served individually and not as a group. The mussels I ordered were actually UNDER cooked and the shells barely opened. The steak servings were OK but nothing I could not get other places. The fried Kale was a real let down, as the serving was so small. The fact that they charge money for it is surprising, since they only fried a few leaves costing a few pennies. We may try again (by ourselves) now that we know to insist that the waiter provide the plates etc. to allow sharing. Other dishes may be better prepared. On the positive side, we did enjoy the wine and beer offerings.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Sterling, Virginia, United States
“Interesting mix”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

A truely american consept.. As people blend, so does food, Mokomandy is a reflection of this. Nicely delivered. Once you read the menu, you realize that this HAS to be a local restraunt. Who would think of this? Then you stay and try, then you love.. Thank you.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Outstanding creative cuisine in a supermarket shopping center”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I don't know if this is true in other parts of the USA, but a surprising number of really outstanding restaurants in northern Virginia are in supermarket shopping centers or strip malls. Mokomandy is the latest such restaurant we found, this time in a Food Lion supermarket shopping center.

We liked everything about Mokomandy, starting with the less than obvious pairing of Cajun with Korean cuisine. We don't know the story behind that, but it certainly works. The food is served tapas style, and we sampled dishes from both cuisines. We liked both, but especially the Korean dishes, in large part because we simply are unfamiliar with that cuisine. The Korean pot roast sliders and Korean scallops were especially good. Also outstanding was a blue crab dip with foccacia.

The drinks are equally creative. We had jalapeno martinis that were amazingly good, followed by equally tasty apple martinis.

The restaurant is small, comfortable and inviting. One disadvantage to this is that you need a reservation on weekend nights to be assured of getting a table. We went at 7pm on a Saturday night and had to sit at the bar -- not that this was much of an imposition.

If you enjoy creative cuisine in a relaxed and classy atmosphere, check out Mokomandy.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Middleburg, VA
“Do they really need another awesome review??? : )”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I've been dying to try this place but they are only open for dinner :(. I had some business folks in town last night, so I finally got to go! Everybody was quite pleased with everything we had. Its totally my kind of dining in that its really easy to share. I think I'd only go here with people who were ok with all the food in the middle of the table. Standouts were the Korean pot roast sliders and the jambalaya.

The prices were incredibly reasonable and we left totally stuffed.

I can't wait to go back.

• Visited September 2012