“Nice hotel--especially if you're a flight crew member” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21611 Atlantic Boulevard, Sterling, VA 20166   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Park, Stay & Go
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
Utah native
“Nice hotel--especially if you're a flight crew member”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night, in between our flight back to the U.S. from Europe and our flight home. We chose it because we are Hilton Honors members, and they offered a free airport shuttle.

On the plus side, the hotel was very clean, our room was nice, bed was comfortable, room service was remarkable delicious, and they offer shuttle service anywhere within a mile or so of the hotel so they offered to take us to the nearby mall if we wanted (though we didn't take them up on this offer).

Our 8 hour flight arrived at Dulles on time, and we got through customs in about 30 minutes. We were looking forward to taking the shuttle to the hotel, quickly checking in, and resting--we were both exhausted! Unfortunately, we found that this hotel prioritizes flight crews over ordinary guests, and we had to wait for 30 minutes in parked shuttle at the airport for 2 full flight crews to arrive. Once at the hotel, the flight crews all got their room assignments and rooms keys first--even though we were the first people on the shuttle! They did offer us extra cookies, and some courtesy "honors points", but next time we'll likely pick another property that doesn't show such a huge differentiation between non-airline guests and flight crews.

Last thing to note--this may be the case with all airports near Dulles, I can't say--but this hotel feels far from the airport to be an 'airport' hotel. Definitely over 5 miles away--which may not seem like much, but If your shuttle hits rush hour on the freeway in between the hotel and the airport, it can take awhile to get there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Lincoln Park, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012 via mobile

Clean,comfortable bed I stay in a lot of hotels and this one is a winner.ate dinner and breakfast both where good. Pool,hot tub and weight training room where nice and clean..I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed May 2011
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

There are so many hotels to choose from in the Dulles area, one can spend a considerable amount of time researching, comparing, evaluating… and, I did just that. I have a short-list of hotels for this area, but all seemed to be a bit expensive on my date of travel—then, I came across the Doubletree. For a very reasonable rate, I could splurge on a club level room, which featured a Happy Hour (with snacks) and a bountiful buffet breakfast. The staff was simply lovely—the lounge well-decorated and very clean. The rooms were cozy-comfy, lots of space, nice TV. The hotel itself seems quite new on the scene, and is well-appointed and inviting. The front desk staff was also super friendly—There is a free airport shuttle (8-10’), luggage carts, fast elevators, free WIFI & computers to use… and coffee machines in the room. Oh, and those chocolate chip cookies at arrival! Yummy! Although this hotel is closer to Sterling (near great shopping, supermarkets, etc), it is a fabulous choice in the Dulles hotel market and my new go-to property. Happy traveling!

Room Tip: Club floor is wonderful if you receive a good deal.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

I stayed here overnight earlier this week. It is about 10 minutes by shuttle or cab to the airport. The hotel runs a free shuttle, which makes the airport run every 30 minutes. I took a cab to the hotel ($18 from IAD), since it was late at night, so I can't comment on the ease of pickup, but I took the shuttle back to IAD, and it was fine.

My room was clean, and the complementary high-speed internet and breakfast was fine. The hotel is close to some shopping centers, but there isn't much else of interest nearby as far as I can tell.

Therefore, I think the hotel is a good stopover point for people in and out of IAD, but it isn't close to Metro or other major public transport, so it probably isn't great as a base for tourism unless you plan to drive.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Copenhagen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

The hotel is really nice, clean and in good condition. My room was spacious, the bed good and the bathroom clean and light.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Ransomville, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel was a great experience. Clean and great service

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

I actually sometimes schedule a weekend when I want to relax away from everything. Clean, beds are like sleeping on a cloud, easy check-in/check-out and quiet.

Room Tip: The three times I have been there I have been on the second floor. No problems, nice view
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sterling - Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!