“DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY HERE!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles

Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles
You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21123 Whitfield Place, Sterling, VA 20165 (Formerly Sterling Dulles North Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
Hyattsville, Maryland, United States
“DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME OR MONEY HERE!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

TOWN PLACE SUITES STERLING NORTH IS A HORRIBLE HOTEL. THEY SHOULDN'T EVEN BE ASSOCIATED WITH THE MARRIOTT NAME!!!! I stayed here 6/20-21 2013 and it was horrible form the beginning. The man at the front desk was so dry, he could breathe fire. I didn't feel welcomed at all, it took forever for him to find a key card that would work (program) he tried at least 15 keys.
My room was small and crampy/outdated....the freezer looked like someone tore it open with an axe and i could see through the bottom of it and those open areas were sharp. There was a door that led to another room and it looked scratched and damaged. We got a new room and one key didn't work, the door was jammed and wouldn't open. So the front desk guy came and finally got us into the room. This process wasted a good 30-45 mins of our time. We finally make it out to get groceries for dinner and came back to cook. The dishes were FILTHY!!!! I had to rewash them all before i could use them, so unsanitary!!! the bathroom mirror was chipped and sharp as well as the wall next to it patched in a huge line down the wall...Then after dinner my stepdaughter and I wanted to take a dip in the outdoor pool....I wish we didn't...we got in 4 ft and saw a leaf or two...that is expected in an outdoor pool. So we swam over to 5ft, my stepdaughter did so under water and came up in a HUGE CLOUD OF BUGS!!!!! We immediately got out....we should have known better after seeing the spider webs on the gate!!! I immediately went inside and told the front desk and he said that the pool was taken care of by a different company and he was nonchalant and didn't even apologize before quickly making it to the back office. We also noticed that the BBQ Grill was in the grass next to the parking lot, at least 5 steps to the closest car in the lot, that cant be safe, and its a dumb place for a grill, a parking lot cook out...really??? Then to top it off we checked out Sunday and got our $20 incidental charge back that we had given cash for at check in, only to find they still charged us $20 in incidentals to my credit card which I DID NOT AUTHORIZE THEM TO DO SO! I use a prepaid card to keep this from happening and this time I had $20 extra on there for gas, thank God I had cash to because my card was DECLINED at the gas station thanks to them!!!! I have spent all day on the phone trying to reach the general manager there who they have yet to connect me too!!! this place is a nightmare stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *UPDATE* The general manager finally called me back today and was great to deal with and will be handling the issues at the hotel immediately.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

When we were searching for this hotel, I was surprised to find it amongt apartment homes. This hotel fit right in and the grounds and accommodations were very "apartment-like". I had a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite and it was very comfortable. One bathroom had a large glass shower while the other bathroom had a tub/shower combo. Both rooms had queen beds and lots of drawer/closet space. The grounds had a nice pool and barbeque area. I was jealous of the group grilling out! Breakfast was very good. Staff were friendly and suggested dining options. I would definitely stay here again if my travel takes me to Dulles Airport.

Room Tip: I chose a second floor room, but if you have lots of luggage- which I did- I would recommend the a f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while taking a visit to DC for 3 days. We were a lil ways from the city but we didn't have no problem taken the metro in Vienna to go to the city ( much easier and not bad for the price of parking and fare!) This hotel is very clean and housekeeping was wonderful. Breakfast was just right for me because I'm not much of a morning person to get up and eat so the grad and go was perfect! Only thing I would ask to be update is the exercise room. The one treadmill is very loud and sounds like its bout to explode, but other then that it was a nice clean hotel with the feeling of being at home with a full kitchen and grocery store right next door. That saves alot when your on a budget and can't afford to eat out all the time! Great Job!

Room Tip: Room's facing towards the parking lot I think is a better view personally.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

All in all this hotel does Marriott proud. I had (and have) no idea of how TownPlace Suites are positioned by Marriott compared to regular Residence facilities, but my experience was very positive.

On arrival the check-in was brisk and informative. All staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel was just what I needed for my stay; a clean, safe and no-nonsense place to lay my family's heads, for a night's stopover between flights to/from Dulles airport.

The only slight negative was that the transfer bus from the airport wasn't clearly marked in the way I had been told to expect, but in the event the drivers seemed to come looking for their clients, and all ended well after a little confusion.

Other than that all very good indeed.

Summary:

+ well located for Dulles airport
+ bang on time bus transfers to and from Dulles
+ spacious and well-equipped rooms
+ great check-in experience
+ friendly and helpful staff
+ clean and well maintained suite

- slightly confusing airport transfer pick up service

Key question: under similar circumstances would I stay here again.

Answer: Definitely

• Stayed March 2013
New Hudson, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Not what I expected from a Marriott property. The property is out of date, the halls are dark and there is absolutely no sound proofing between suites. I had the misfortune to be next to someone who watched tv all night and heard every word of the show.
The hotel advertises free breakfast, this was a joke. The lobby does not have a single seat and the breakfast that was offered was "grab and go".

All and all I wish I had read reviews before staying at this property and will not be returning in the future.

• Stayed January 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I'm happy with the stay here. This place is not fancy, the rooms are really outdated, but it is well maintained and clean. Serves the purpose of a hotel room.

The hotel is in a great location! I'd give 5 stars for the location alone.

The reason why I'm giving it only 3 stars is because the rooms are really small - bed is just 2 feet away from the kitchen - so if you cook something, then be prepared to smell it even when you sleep. Also, there aren't enough utensils in the kitchen. The toaster didn't work well with us - when we tried to toast bread, the fire alarm went off. I'd not complain about this if it hadn't happened twice. The bed isn't great either, it is too bouncy.

Overall I'm happy, and don't mind coming back if I can get a good price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonn, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

OK I have to say one thing before I continue: I booked this hotel through a 3rd party 'bidding' website and only paid $45 per night. I called the hotel and tried to check in one night early and the rate was $169 for that.

That said: The hotel is really nice. No luxury and yes, it is somewhat old, but nicely kept and clean! I probably got the smallest room they had, but still it is pretty huge for one person. Kitchen is fully equipped (even a dishwasher!) and all china and silverware is spotless.
You'll also have a dining table and a couch with a little coffee table.

The bathroom is okay - I definitely have seen smaller ones!

I cannot agree with the person who posted before me: There ARE several food places in walking distance (Boston Market, McD, Starbucks), as well as a Giant and other stores. It is located right off Rte 7, so if you want to stay close to IAD airport and need to go to DC, Reston or McLean every day this is a good location. Dulles Town Center Mall and a lot of restaurants are in the vicinity (you need a car for that).

The free breakfast is okay - Cereals, muffins, bagels, fruit and, most important, coffee! You will have to eat out of a styrofoam bowl and there is only very little sitting space available - but hey, it's FREE! (And the dark roast coffee is very good :) )

So if you are on a budget this hotel is actually very good. (I stayed there for a whole week 'between apartments')

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo