“TownePlace Suites Dulles North” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles

You added Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles to your Saves list
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21123 Whitfield Place, Sterling, VA 20165 (Formerly Sterling Dulles North Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Sterling
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“TownePlace Suites Dulles North”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

When we were searching for this hotel, I was surprised to find it amongt apartment homes. This hotel fit right in and the grounds and accommodations were very "apartment-like". I had a 2 bedroom 2 bath suite and it was very comfortable. One bathroom had a large glass shower while the other bathroom had a tub/shower combo. Both rooms had queen beds and lots of drawer/closet space. The grounds had a nice pool and barbeque area. I was jealous of the group grilling out! Breakfast was very good. Staff were friendly and suggested dining options. I would definitely stay here again if my travel takes me to Dulles Airport.

Room Tip: I chose a second floor room, but if you have lots of luggage- which I did- I would recommend the a f...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Lock Haven, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while taking a visit to DC for 3 days. We were a lil ways from the city but we didn't have no problem taken the metro in Vienna to go to the city ( much easier and not bad for the price of parking and fare!) This hotel is very clean and housekeeping was wonderful. Breakfast was just right for me because I'm not much of a morning person to get up and eat so the grad and go was perfect! Only thing I would ask to be update is the exercise room. The one treadmill is very loud and sounds like its bout to explode, but other then that it was a nice clean hotel with the feeling of being at home with a full kitchen and grocery store right next door. That saves alot when your on a budget and can't afford to eat out all the time! Great Job!

Room Tip: Room's facing towards the parking lot I think is a better view personally.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

All in all this hotel does Marriott proud. I had (and have) no idea of how TownPlace Suites are positioned by Marriott compared to regular Residence facilities, but my experience was very positive.

On arrival the check-in was brisk and informative. All staff were friendly and helpful, and the hotel was just what I needed for my stay; a clean, safe and no-nonsense place to lay my family's heads, for a night's stopover between flights to/from Dulles airport.

The only slight negative was that the transfer bus from the airport wasn't clearly marked in the way I had been told to expect, but in the event the drivers seemed to come looking for their clients, and all ended well after a little confusion.

Other than that all very good indeed.

Summary:

+ well located for Dulles airport
+ bang on time bus transfers to and from Dulles
+ spacious and well-equipped rooms
+ great check-in experience
+ friendly and helpful staff
+ clean and well maintained suite

- slightly confusing airport transfer pick up service

Key question: under similar circumstances would I stay here again.

Answer: Definitely

• Stayed March 2013
New Hudson, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Not what I expected from a Marriott property. The property is out of date, the halls are dark and there is absolutely no sound proofing between suites. I had the misfortune to be next to someone who watched tv all night and heard every word of the show.
The hotel advertises free breakfast, this was a joke. The lobby does not have a single seat and the breakfast that was offered was "grab and go".

All and all I wish I had read reviews before staying at this property and will not be returning in the future.

• Stayed January 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I'm happy with the stay here. This place is not fancy, the rooms are really outdated, but it is well maintained and clean. Serves the purpose of a hotel room.

The hotel is in a great location! I'd give 5 stars for the location alone.

The reason why I'm giving it only 3 stars is because the rooms are really small - bed is just 2 feet away from the kitchen - so if you cook something, then be prepared to smell it even when you sleep. Also, there aren't enough utensils in the kitchen. The toaster didn't work well with us - when we tried to toast bread, the fire alarm went off. I'd not complain about this if it hadn't happened twice. The bed isn't great either, it is too bouncy.

Overall I'm happy, and don't mind coming back if I can get a good price.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bonn, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

OK I have to say one thing before I continue: I booked this hotel through a 3rd party 'bidding' website and only paid $45 per night. I called the hotel and tried to check in one night early and the rate was $169 for that.

That said: The hotel is really nice. No luxury and yes, it is somewhat old, but nicely kept and clean! I probably got the smallest room they had, but still it is pretty huge for one person. Kitchen is fully equipped (even a dishwasher!) and all china and silverware is spotless.
You'll also have a dining table and a couch with a little coffee table.

The bathroom is okay - I definitely have seen smaller ones!

I cannot agree with the person who posted before me: There ARE several food places in walking distance (Boston Market, McD, Starbucks), as well as a Giant and other stores. It is located right off Rte 7, so if you want to stay close to IAD airport and need to go to DC, Reston or McLean every day this is a good location. Dulles Town Center Mall and a lot of restaurants are in the vicinity (you need a car for that).

The free breakfast is okay - Cereals, muffins, bagels, fruit and, most important, coffee! You will have to eat out of a styrofoam bowl and there is only very little sitting space available - but hey, it's FREE! (And the dark roast coffee is very good :) )

So if you are on a budget this hotel is actually very good. (I stayed there for a whole week 'between apartments')

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

The two room suite has plenty of room for two people. The kitchenette is nice. I'll definitely stay here again for the price. And as long as you have a car there are plenty of places to get food within a short drive, but not within walking distance other than a gas station.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Sterling Dulles? Share your experiences!