“It was an OK stay” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 15 hotels in Sterling
Weirton
“It was an OK stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I did like the location of this hotel. It is in more of a residential area and very quiet. There is a Logan's restaurant that is a very short walk to get to. The breakfast provided was not much of anything, unless you just want a muffin. Coffee was fine. I will have to agree that the halls did smell a bit musty, but our room was clean and did not smell. The AC worked fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

38 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sarasota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

This should not be a Marriott, just poor all around, room smells, halls smell, room dirty, noisy, breakfast is a joke. Avoid this place and try a Hilton or anything else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

the clerk at the front desk was rude, told me I didn't have the Marriott points I needed when I did. Next she gave me a room that smelled like smoke and told me that others have to check in before they cld give me another room. The replacement room was dirty and the housekeeper didn't come the next day. When I called about it, I was old that she was leaving at 5pm (it was 4:45) and the desk clerk asked ME to come down to the front desk and get my own towels. I checked out soon after and moved to Townplace in Chantilly.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed here with family folks one night. Room and kitchen were not clean, but what was worse is the a/c stopped working in middle of night, causing room to swelter. Front desk could not fix as no maintenance in middle of night and hotel full so could not move. At checkout, refused refund or any consideration as "its Sunday and there is no manager on duty". The place is poorly maintained, has poor infrastructure, and is a bad value with so many other options. Corporate should look into this place. AVOID.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

This place was an oasis for our family during the recent storms in the DC area. After day 3 of no power, we bailed on surviving in our hot and powerless house and were able to find 1 room available here and snapped it up. Upon arrival, we were frazzled, hot and exhausted. After an earlier mishap with Hampton Inn (who took our reservation without telling us they also had no power), just the fact that the A/C was on was such a relief. Three cheers for A/C! Anyway, the woman at the desk was so kind to us and got us into our room quickly. She seemed genuinely concerned and was reassuring. Staff overall was super nice. The room itself was good. Yes, it was cool and was clean. The kitchenette we had was great and we made smores to continue with our survival theme. The bed was comfy and my son slept on the sofabed and slept like a log. The desk and internet worked great and the flat screen TV was perfect. The workout room was nice - treadmill worked great but sketchy tv reception in workout room. Breakfast was awesome - had healthy options like yogurt, fruit. We would have stayed an extra night but our neighbors called to say power was back on in our neighborhood! Yippee. So, no time to do laundry at the hotel but we had planned to use their coin operated machines if our stay persisted. Overall, this place was great and preserved our sanity during the after math of the storm.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Fairview Park, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

While the room itself was very nice and convenient, upon uncovering my bed for the first night, my sheets were FILTHY. They were extremely wrinkled and I could tell they hadn't been washed since the last person because of the following:

-A dried blood stain
-make up stain
-wrinkled
-didn't feel or smell clean
-upon checking for bed bugs, I lifted the mattress to find crumbs and a pretzel.

I immediately complained to the front desk and demanded new bedding, and the staff member could of cared less. Didn't apologize or even really say anything. He handed me bedding, only to discover that I was only given 1 sheet. I had a very uncomfortable nights sleep and would recommend firing the cleaning staff and adjusting customer service protocol--. I would not stay at this location again.

The continental breakfast is poorly organized as well. There is no table to sit at when you get there, so you have to eat standing up or carry your bowl of ceral and food with no tray or bag across the parking lot and up the stairwell to your room.

Room Tip: Check your room to make sure it was properly cleaned.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Ashburn, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

We were supposed to stay here for a long-term stay, but had to leave after our first night. We are a family with young children and we wouldn't let our children crawl on the floor. After seeing a mouse in our room, we moved to a different hotel. While packing our stuff, we also discovered mouse droppings all over the kitchen and in the cabinet in the bathroom. We had family in another room who found the room to be dirty and not well maintained. The hotel is just not clean nor well-maintained. Staff was apologetic after the fact, but still partially charged us. Also, we were pay-ahead as we were there for a long-term stay, and manager demanded all cash up front (several thousand dollars and wouldn't take a cashier's check which is what our bank suggested to us) for our reserved rate. After calling Marriott, they told us this is not a typical practice and apologized. I really wish we would have looked more at the other ratings first before booking this hotel, lesson learned.

Room Tip: As far as we could tell, there was no restaurant nor room service.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to TownePlace Suites Sterling Dulles North? Share your experiences!