“Had A Superb Experience” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #15 of 15 hotels in Sterling
Pasadena, California
“Had A Superb Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

I've read some of the bad reviews on here and I'm a little surprised that their stay was not satisfactory. I travel to the DC area one time a year for two weeks in April for business. I stayed at this location last year and, because of the peace and quiet and distance to restaurants, decided to return. Last years stay was ok, but this year was much better! I was informed that the management had changed recently and I could certainly tell.

For one, there had been renovations to the rooms, which were nice. I agree with some of the complaints about about the hotel being outdated. The rooms just look, well...old! But they had redone the bathrooms and (as the staff told me...who knows) are going to continue with renovations until the entire hotel is done. Also, the place was very clean. I had housekeeping service every day except one when I had a "do not disturb" sign on the door. I usually leave housekeeping a gratuity wherever I travel, and was very happy to leave one on my most recent stay. My biggest complaint is how outdated the rooms are, but if they continue with the renovations, will have a very clean AND updated hotel. Actually, my only other complaint is that they do not have shuttle service. How could a hotel near the airport not have shuttle service?!

The staff was amazing. I have to say, they were very attentive and happy to help. Any downside to the hotel can be overlooked by how helpful and gracious the staff is. There is a front desk assistant there named Bradley that was probably one of the best "hotel people" I've ever dealt with. They are lucky to have him.

Of course no place is perfect, but with a few more updates and shuttle service, this place would be top notch. I had no problem with keys, housekeeping, or any other complaint I see for this hotel. Hopefully, I didn't just have a lucky stay; I will be back next year.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

39 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

My stay at this hotel in 2009 was much better. It's no longer up to Marriott standards, especially the housekeeping. Apparently daily housekeeping is a thing of the past. During my 7 night stay, housekeeping came to my room three times. The sheets and towels were changed only once and the bed made twice. I don't think the counters or tables were wiped down or the room vacuumed. Housekeeping didn't unload the dishwasher or remember to leave detergent. It felt like a cheap hotel and Marriott is usually very nice. Having clean sheets and towels, and the garbage pickup up daily is something I thought I could count on with Marriott. The management seemed defensive when I brought my concerns to their attention. Like several other guests, I had problems with the key cards and had to get them reactivated every other day. I love Marriott, however, my next stay will be elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my family for 4 days. We had booked 5 days (paid for 4 days and got 1 free), but in the end changed to a different TownePlace Suites (near the airport), giving up the free day, and was much more satisfied with that hotel. There were a number of reasons why we switched. The hotel room wasn't cleaned too well. The ceiling above the shower was especially filthy. They also ran out of towels one day and on another, ran out of shampoo and conditioner as well. They are not well stocked with supplies. Lastly, their key card system is outdated. We had to get our key cards reactivated every day because they never worked. One time we had to get it reactivated 3 times in 1 night for it to work. The front desk personnel claimed it was because our cell phones erased the activation key code and it happens all the time, yet it has never happened to me in any hotel I've been at which makes me think their system is outdated. The only good thing is that some of their front desk personnel are friendly and helpful. Otherwise, the hotel needs to be badly cleaned and updated. Overall, if you're staying for 1 night, this place if ok. If more than 1 night, be prepared for a lack of supplies and getting your key card reactivated nightly. TownePlace Suites is a franchise, so each one is different. I suggest traveling to the airport TownePlace Suites instead. The hotel there is much newer and better.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I am a contractor that spends 100-150 nites on the road each year.
I've tried a bunch of different hotels in the Sterling/Dulles area.
This hotel has all the amenities that I need, like: full size fridge, full stove w/oven, spacious rooms, enough laundry facilities so you don't have to wait.
The hotel has been done over recently so all the rooms are spotless.
The rooms have new flat screen TVs and work stations for doing business.
It's a little off the beaten path but it's within easy walking distance to several restuarants and a grocery store.
Probably the thing that's most overlooked - IT"S QUIET No traffic patterns like other hotels I've stayed at, so I can get A GOOD NITES SLEEP !!!
Don't get me wrong, this is not a high end hotel, but for long term stays, it's a great place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
jacksonville,florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

excellent location, very clean, service is wonderful, price was excellent. they are a fantastic group of people that work there.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

TownePlace Suites Sterling is a great place to stay in Virginia. The staff was good and the GM, Booker, is exceptional. I enjoyed my time here — so happy that I selected this place over the Dulles location because of the neighboring stores and restaurants as well as the awesome daily continental breakfast. The manager, Booker, is exceptional. He offered to drive several miles to pickup mail delivered to the other TownePlace Suites. The halls did not smell good, but as my only concern, it was most likely caused by the guest's cooking. The property is located to everything you'd ever need, from grocery stores, to the library, a post office, a home depot, the local farmers market and every store you'd love to be close to. The location is remarkable. Highly recommend!

I would highly recommend this Marriott. I really enjoyed my three weeks at this location.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2007

I spent one night here following a stay in another Marriott hotel- the Richmond VA Residence Inn and the 2 hotels could not be further apart in hospitality and amenities yet the Richmond location is cheaper. The TownPlace charges a $100.oo pet fee--not so "pet- friendly", had a non- smoking policy yet had burn holes in the curtains and the lobby is non- existent, business was conducted in an office adjacent to the open door laundry room which had dirty linen strewn all about in clear view. The bathroom had mold in the tub area and the pool is situated right by the parking lot. I would exhaust all other offerings before choosing to stay here again.

• Liked — It was on my way.
  • Disliked — pet fee, moldy bathroom
  • Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to TownePlace Suites Sterling Dulles North? Share your experiences!