“The food is good.” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Herndon, Virginia
“The food is good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

I like to go there for lunch, they have quick service and combo menu. They have good teryaki box lunch, where you get a little of everything- some sushi, some tempura,some salad and soup, and some meat and crab rangoon

Visited November 2012

87% Recommend
Washington DC
“Is sushi supposed to be bloody?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I've been to this location a total of four times. I kept going back because sushi is one of my favorite foods and there aren't a whole lot of options in Sterling. I usually have sushi in DC (SEI in DC and Cafe Asia in Arlington are awesome - I eat at these places very often!!). Anyway, back to Aoba...I've been to this restaurant four times too many. The sushi is average at best. I regularly order sashimi and this is the only place where the yellowtail is always served bloody and mixed colored. Also, they serve the sushi with lemon slices and by the time you get it, the lemon flavor is infused into the sushi. I'm not sure why they do this, other than to hide the freshness of the meat (or lack thereof). The rolls that I have tried are mostly rice.

Seaweed salad might be one of my favorite things to eat...it's definitely NOT fresh here...at all! And they use way too much dressing and it's too sweet....again, hiding lack of freshness?

Finally, the cost is very high for what you get. I spend the equivalent at much nicer places and really get more, once quality and freshness are incorporated.

I've recently moved from Sterling to McLean and I'm closer to my favorite sushi places. But, I'm looking for some sushi places near me.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
McLean, Virginia
“Best Sushi Around!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Love Aoba. Go there at least once a week. Sushi is always fresh and delicious. Service is great. Very friendly owner and staff.

Visited April 2013
Sterling, Virginia
“Best in town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

We keep coming back because Aoba has the best Japanese dishes and freshest sushi in the area. Price is a bit pricey for a small strip mall joint but the food is worth every penny! We always order nigiri and rolls as well as the udon and katsu (personal favorites). Weekday lunch menu is a great value!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Reston, Virginia
“Always friendly, always good sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We frequently go to Aoba. (They ask where we've been when it has been a while between visits.) The sushi is always fresh and expertly prepared. The service is friendly and efficient.

Possibly the best sushi and Japanese food in Northern Virginia.

• Visited March 2013