“Always friendly, always good sushi” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #16 of 206 Restaurants in Sterling
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reston, Virginia
“Always friendly, always good sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We frequently go to Aoba. (They ask where we've been when it has been a while between visits.) The sushi is always fresh and expertly prepared. The service is friendly and efficient.

Possibly the best sushi and Japanese food in Northern Virginia.

• Visited March 2013

Sterling, Virginia
“Excellent sushi!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

One of the best sushi places in Sterling/Ashburn area. The staff is friendly and accomodating (though sometimes there are language problems) . Went to this place on numerous occasions, never had bad experience. The food is always fresh and made in a creative way.

Visited December 2012
Augusta, Georgia
“Best in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

By far the best Sushi I've had in the area. Their shrimp tempura roll is my absolute fave. I haven't had any food there other than sushi, but what I've had has always been super fresh, really yummy, and not expensive. Well worth your time and money.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
U.S. expats
“Good Quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I lived in Japan for several years; it is difficult to find that quality again. I admit it--I am spoiled.

Aoba does a nice job--the miso soup is light, and I enjoyed the homemade assorted pickles. If I could change that, though, there were two many highly salty pickles--they should include some more of the yellow daikon. It was delicious.

We ticked off the boxes on a piece of paper instead of using the menu, and I am glad we did. We got exactly what we wanted for three people. The spicy tuna roll was really fab, and my daughter convinced me to try the shrimp tempura roll, which I will definitely try again. The eel was really, really good. In fact all the sushi and sushi maki was very good.

Parking is a problem--there are about 5 or 6 restaurants in this mall, and never any parking. Also if you eat here in cold weather, sit on the side of the restaurant that is not near the door. Despite two doors, lots of chilly air moved in every time someone came in to pick up an order for take-out.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Pleasantly Surprised.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

A good friend of mine had just returned from back to back tours in Tokyo and Seoul respectively and wanted to go out for a meal. I jokingly suggested Japanese and he jumped at the chance to have some good sushi. I had seen Aoba when I had been going to the movie theater that is in the same shopping center, so we went. It is a small little place, but the staff is friendly and efficient. My friend got the Regular sushi platter and I tried the gyoza and the ginger salad. The gyoza was delicious and my friend said the sushi was very reminiscent of his time in Japan. I ended up taking another friend there and again the food was wonderful. Please go and try it.

• Visited August 2012