“Neighborhood Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
virginia
“Neighborhood Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

Great place for a meal. I'm not a sushi person, but they have plenty of selection for those of us who prefer their food cooked. My husband tells me their sushi is fabulous and I can attest to their excellent preparation of teriyaki entrees! Friendly and quick service with good atmosphere.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

USA
“Our favorite sushi spot in the area (and beyond, really...)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Since moving into the NoVa area, we've been on the hunt for reasonable, fresh sushi and so far, Aoba is a solid hit. You can find cheaper and you can find more extravagant but for us, we never have to wait and the fish and rolls are delicious. Service is impeccable as well - the servers and the chefs remember (and greet) all their locals...

We haven't ventured into DC for Nobu-esque dining, but compared to the numerous strip-mall establishments from here to Alexandria we've tried, we're happy with Aoba...

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ashburn, VA
“Best Sushi in Loudoun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

We have followed the owner/sushi chef, Jay, of this restaurant from his now closed Naruto in Ashburn to Aoba. I am a frequent traveler to Japan and can say that Jay provides the best sushi and value that I have had in Loudoun.

The fish is always fresh. Sushi is never cheap, but Jay cuts the largest pieces for the nigiri sushi, which makes Aoba a good value. In addition to the usual stuff, he usually has some kind of toro and madai (Japanese red snapper). Weekends he has a great selection of interesting items (e.g., live scallop). The unagi and anago (eel) are better than anything I have had outside Japan (including pricier sushi places in DC).

The staff is very friendly also. They also do a brisk take-out business. My wife and I have an annual catered holiday party for about 100 people. In addition to the catered food, the last couple of years I have had Jay make a couple of trays of sushi. The first year it was gone in about five minutes, so I ordered more this past year; it didn't last very long either.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
New Carrollton, Maryland
“Aoba has some of the best sushi around!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My first visit here was in July 2011. My husband and I were moving in nearby. We were able to walk in at 730 pm and get seated. Unfortunately, they are between 2 larger restaurants in a strip mall. We chose to come here because it was quiet and relaxed. The service here was great. You are greeted immediately, and sat ASAP.
It is the only place I've ever seen that has DEEP FRIED SUSHI! If you go, TRY IT! I know, that's so "American" of me, but trust me, it's a good savory meal.
The prices are consistent with the area. We can get 4 sushi rolls an appetizer, and each roll comes with Miso Soup - still pay between 40-50. Coming from the DC area, this same meal would be much more expensive closer to the city.
Try it. you'll fall in love.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Palm Harbor, FL
“More than Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I enjoy sushi occasionally, but it's not a favorite with me.

Having Yakitori, ( grilled chicken threaded on a skewer ), reminds me of the stands outside the train stations when I lived in Japan several years ago. It's a great appetizer.

And Aoba did a wonderful job with the Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura. Presentation is important in any cuisine, and the tower of crisp, lightly battered shrimp looked like a Teepee crowned with an onion ring. The taste fulfilled the promise.

The entree was accompanied by soup, salad, and a bit of seasoned tofu.

I chose a large bottle of Japanese beer, Kirin Ichiban, my favorite.

"Ichiban" means "Number One". The service was as great as the food and Aoba was Number One for me.

• Visited May 2012