“Aoba has some of the best sushi around!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi
Dining options: Dinner
Dining options: Dinner
New Carrollton, Maryland
“Aoba has some of the best sushi around!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

My first visit here was in July 2011. My husband and I were moving in nearby. We were able to walk in at 730 pm and get seated. Unfortunately, they are between 2 larger restaurants in a strip mall. We chose to come here because it was quiet and relaxed. The service here was great. You are greeted immediately, and sat ASAP.
It is the only place I've ever seen that has DEEP FRIED SUSHI! If you go, TRY IT! I know, that's so "American" of me, but trust me, it's a good savory meal.
The prices are consistent with the area. We can get 4 sushi rolls an appetizer, and each roll comes with Miso Soup - still pay between 40-50. Coming from the DC area, this same meal would be much more expensive closer to the city.
Try it. you'll fall in love.

• Visited March 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Palm Harbor, FL
“More than Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

I enjoy sushi occasionally, but it's not a favorite with me.

Having Yakitori, ( grilled chicken threaded on a skewer ), reminds me of the stands outside the train stations when I lived in Japan several years ago. It's a great appetizer.

And Aoba did a wonderful job with the Shrimp and Vegetable Tempura. Presentation is important in any cuisine, and the tower of crisp, lightly battered shrimp looked like a Teepee crowned with an onion ring. The taste fulfilled the promise.

The entree was accompanied by soup, salad, and a bit of seasoned tofu.

I chose a large bottle of Japanese beer, Kirin Ichiban, my favorite.

"Ichiban" means "Number One". The service was as great as the food and Aoba was Number One for me.

• Visited May 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sterling, Virginia
“Excellent Sushi!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

We love Aoba. It's not often that we go out for sushi, but when we do it's almost always to Aoba. They have excellent service and their food is creative, fresh and sooo good. Like most sushi restaurants they have specialty rolls and we've had some great ones over the years. Always reliable, clean and yummy.

Visited February 2012
Herndon, Virginia
“Very Yummy Indeed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2012

Well this is a great place. Fresh fish, friendly service and a wonderfully small and cozy atmosphere. My wife and I both loved this place. I would put it on my top 5 restaurants in Northern Virginia without a doubt.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Herndon, Virginia
“Very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2012

Soup was nice- hot and good value. However, of the 3 maki rolls I had, two had rice that was probably 3 days old and one, the spicy tuna, I had to send back. Was brown ish in color. Small place and the service was fine, but in the end, I wouldn't go back.

Visited February 2012