“Typical hotel, but halls & room smelled not-very-fresh” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stephens City
Colonial Beach, VA
“Typical hotel, but halls & room smelled not-very-fresh”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Checkin was smooth, clerk very helpful & efficient. The halls smelled like cigarette smoke, and the room smelled musty, which was annoying. Beds were comfortable. Breakfast was typical for this type hotel - I do love those waffles -- and had hot eggs, plus cereal, yogurt, coffee, juice, etc. Next time I would look for a different hotel because of hall/room smell.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Lenoir City, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

On my way back from a horrible stay in New Jersey, I needed a good over night stay, so around 6 pm I hit a small town off of I-81 called Stephens City, Va, where I spotted this Comfort Inn. I went inside to a nicely appointed lobby where I inquired if they could put me up for the evening at a fair cost. These days I travel as a senior, an AARP member, a AAA member, and retired military, so I can generally count on some kind of discount. I was given a room on the second floor.. The room was very smartly appointed and if it had another 3 ft. it could have become a nice suite!! The night clerk informed me that if I displayed my room key to the cashier at the "Butcher Block Buffet" next door, that I would be given a 10% discount on my dinner, so I thought I'd give it a try. Wow, oh Wow, this place is great!!! They have just about every kind of food you could ever want and it's all good!! All-in-all, this worked out to be the best stop on I-81!!

Room Tip: You must try the Butcher Block Buffet across the parking lot, it's worth the small walk!!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Culpeper, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Overall we had a good experience. We just stayed the night to attend the Heritage Festival as a vendor. The breakfast was excellent, the room was clean, roomy and comfortable. The reason I can't rate this as excellent is because the hallways smell so bad of smoke. Everything looked clean, but the smoke smell was overwhelming. Thankfully we had a room at the end of the hotel and could enter through a side door so we didn't have to spend but 20 seconds in the halls, but that was bad enough.

Room Tip: Get a room on either end of the hotel. You will also want to request the first floor as there in no...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

We were going to the nearby drive-in (that place is real winner, love it) and decided we didn't want to make a 2 hour drive at 1:30 in the morning so decided to stay here as it's only about 5 minutes from the theater. It was ok for the 8 or so hours we were there. However, there were several problems with our room (124), some of which were addressed, some were not. 1st, there were gigantic cobwebs in all of the corners. When we went to the front desk about it, they simply handed us a broom. 2nd, we had to place one of the sample toiletries in the drain so that it would stay open when showering. 3rd, when I was blowdrying my hair (using the hotel's blowdryer), a circuit tripped and we were left in total darkness until they figured out how to fix it. 4th, the "double" beds are super small, not much bigger than twin beds. The carpet could use a thorough cleaning or replacing, the bathroom as well. It was clear the grout hadn't been cleaned in years. The staff was very nice and overall helpful. They could use a more professional and polished appearance, though. The front desk staff were wearing "smocks" that could have come straight from the 70's, and they were wearing badges that said housekeeping. That's not their fault, of course, but a more uniform and updated, professional uniform would probably give a better impression. Overall, it wasn't a bad hotel, just some little stuff that could use attention. Their price point is rather high, given the conditions. I'd probably stay there again, if the price was better and more in-keeping with the condition or if they gave the place a much-needed renovation.

maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

The lack of an elevator was the only thing we had a complaint about. The room was spotless and the beds were super comfortable! It was nice to be able to open the window. The water pressure in the shower was awesome! Breakfast was ok, nothing special. We would stay again!

Room Tip: There is no elevator.
buffalo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

Stephens City is certainly not a popular destination. Upon learning we needed to travel there for a funeral, we booked the Comfort Inn. It was close to where we needed to be. I made a mistake when booking and had an additional room booked, the manager was very nice in understanding and cancelled the extra room with no problem at all. The staff was excellent, made you feel like part of the family. The rooms are clean and bright, you can open the windows on the first floor. Every accommodation we needed was met. The location was perfect for what we needed to do. The breakfast was your usual continental breakfast, fresh and well stocked. Would definitely return again when visiting in that area.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

Nothing special, nothing particularly negative. I would stay here again. Wifi worked well, friendly staff, clean, std. Comfort Inn breakfast. Offers discount at nearby restaurants. We stayed here because it was relatively close to Front Royal where we drove Skyline Parkway.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!