“Sunset Cottage” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alpine Hideaway

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Steeles Tavern
Alpine Hideaway
Special Mid-Week Pricing
Richmond, Virginia
“Sunset Cottage”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

As always a great place to stay...all the amenities of home with lots
of privacy and a beautiful view of the mountains! Ray and Melissa have kept
Alphine Hideway just as it was and we will be back again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

To celebrate my wife graduating college, passing the NCLEX exam and becoming an RN and after 1 year with no vacation due to her finishing up her classes we decided we needed to get away and unwind.
The Blue Ridge Mountains is somewhere we always wanted to see so I did a search for Luxury Cabins.
Perhaps and odd search term but that is what I envisioned. Some place secluded, alone, not too rustic, and with some nice amenities.
I got one very interesting hit and checked Trip Advisor (of course). After reading the Trip Advisor reports I booked Alpine Hideaway, Pond View Cottage for a week in mid October, 2012.
I got a very nice e-mail response from the owners telling me that I booked at a great time of year to see the fall colors. This was good news as the wife and I are amateur photographers.
We took the 7 ½ hour drive and arrived around 4:00 pm just in time to check in.
The cabin is just as advertised on their web site. Fairly secluded, right by a nice pond, and beautiful inside. Everything you need is provided for your stay. All you need bring is food and your clothes, and I would suggest you bring a camera. There was ample cooking supplies, including spices, coffee, tea, and creamers. There is even a gas grill should you not want to cook in the kitchen.
Exploring the cabin revealed a box of Godiva chocolates on the King Size, very comfortable bed and 2 souvenir coffee mugs for us to take with us. The place is really charming and spotlessly clean. Everything was in perfect working order and seemed to be very well maintained.
They also provide wireless internet, books, videos, games and I need to mention there is central heat and AC. We only needed the heat once due to the nice weather we experienced but did use the gas fire place in the evening and morning.
My opinion is that this place is really set up for couples to get away and spend some quality time together, which is exactly what we did.
Attention to detail I something that is really happening here. Getting out of the shower and reaching for a towel I noticed it smelled, well… like a fruit roll up. Simply delicious!!
Also provided were quality soaps, shampoo, and a bag with razors and skin creams in case you forgot something at home. They really think of everything.
My wife loved relaxing in the Jacuzzi tub after a day in the mountains and she also enjoyed soaking in the hot tub located on the porch overlooking the pond. I preferred to sit down by the pond with a sun downer and watch for the heron to come in to do some fishing.
The setting is pure country farm land. Cows grazing in the distant pasture, and birds singing in the trees.
There are also so many local attractions that you would be hard pressed to lack something to do.
On our first day it rained in the morning so we took a drive to see Luray caverns. There is also a nice car museum that comes with the ticket. A very interesting place and not just for the guys. My wife also enjoyed seeing some of the beautifully restored cars
Day 2 we drove Skyline Drive. Lots of beautiful overlooks. Day 3 we took in the Cultural Museum. This was really educational and a very unique place and highly recommended if you are into the history of our great country. Day 4 we visited Wades Mill, Crabtree Falls, the McCormick Farm and Rockbridge Vineyard (free wine tasting and great wine). Day 5 we drove part of the Blue Ridge Parkway.
I do not think anyone would be disappointed in any way with a stay at the Pond View Cabin.
Overall it was a wonderful place to stay and reasonably priced for what you are buying.
The owners followed up with a nice e-mail asking about our stay and if they could do anything to improve our experience. That in itself says these people are quality oriented.
A great place to unwind and just relax. Even if you never leave the cabin.
I would recommend this place to anyone needing to get away to a special place. The experience is bound to make some powerful memories.

Chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Sunset Cottage, October 15-17, 2012. It was an Anniversary surprise for my husband and some MUCH needed R&R, just the two of us and the adorable cows! The cottage is awesome, loved everything, size, charm, views, jetted (2 person) tub, hot tub, very comfortable bed, and of course sitting by the fireplace sipping wine. There was a tv and selection of movies for DVD player but we had no desire to turn it on. Like so many have said, they have thought of everything, right down to nice robes. The kitchen also was WELL stocked. I had packed some prepared meals so we wouldn't have to do any more than warm them up, which worked out rather well, but if you did want to or needed to cook there would be no problems. Food, clothes and your HONEY is ALL you need! Oh, don't forget the camera/camcorder, the VEIW is AWESOME!! We had crisp cool days, beautiful autumn colors, starry nights (great while resting in the hot tub), and the most perfect stay! I LOVED the cows, deer and owl. But the best part was on October 16th, our 13 Anniversary day, we sat on the grass in front of the cottage just as the sun was setting, with bible in hand we renewed our wedding vows to each other. The beautiful view with gold and red leaves the beautiful colors of the sky was picture perfect. And just as we finished our renewal to one another, as if on cue, we heard church bells ringing softly in the distance. Did I mention it was PERFECT!!! I hope someday we can return to Alpine Hideaway Cottages. By the way, our breakfast basket we had was very good and the coffee mugs were a nice gift from the hosts. Thank You for a Wonderful Anniversary. Oh, My husband was very surprised!:)

Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I was looking for a beautiful, romantic location to surprise my husband for his birthday. Boy did I find it!!!!!! Melissa and Ray were VERY friendly and very helpful from the start. Every time I had a question I received a prompt answer. The Sunset Cottage was more than I ever could have asked for. My husband's eyes lit up when we drove down that long private path to the cottage.

Inside we found chocolates, cheese, crackers wine (and wine bag, which was a surprise as was the birthday balloon), a birthday cake and our very own mugs! It was very nice. We also opted for the breakfast basket which arrive the next morning around 9:15am. It was plentiful and had many goodies like fresh fruit, homemade coffee cake, granola, juice, milk and yogurt.

The kitchen was even well stocked with the typical appliances, big and small, (i.e., dishwasher, blender, toaster, etc.). There was also many items you use every day like coffee, sugar, tea, hot chocolate, sugar, artificial sweetener, creamers, spices, oil, trash bags, light bulbs, etc. I really don't think they left anything out. They truly thought of everything. It was nice not having to go out and buy all those extra items just to have coffee, for example, because it was ALL there. Such a great surprise. I mean, I knew they said they had "some" items on hand but wow, if you ask me they had EVERYTHING you could want or need. I even found skewers in the drawer. LOL Oh and, we also found a bag of goodies in the bathroom for us that contained razors, shampoo, conditioner, soap, makeup remover, wipes, toothpaste, etc. Like I said, they thought of EVERYTHING!!!!!

As you can see, we loved it there!! It was very cozy and it truly felt like it was your own. While it would have been nice to meet Melissa and Ray in person (which I'm sure we could have had we drug our butts out and down to the B&B....LOL), it was also nice to not have to worry about housekeeping interrupting, or anyone knocking at the door. It was really like our own place. Right down to the keyless entry. Next time, we'll have to go see Melissa and Ray though, I promise! LOL

Then there's the wildlife. WOW! When we first pulled up we were greeted by tons of cows on the sides of the road and throughout the pastures on either side. Awesome!! We also saw over two dozen deer on the first and second day, squirrels...of course, rabbit, and a cut groundhog that seemed to enjoy hanging out at the end of our driveway. LOL He was there several times throughout the day, each day.

And finally, the jacuzzi tub in the bathroom and hot tub on the back deck (off the bedroom) were just wonderful! We definitely took advantage of using them several times each day. During the day and even at night.

Guess I about covered it all. I HIGHLY recommend Alpine Hideaway to everyone! And in fact I was even texting and passing out the website through texts and email while we were there. LOL We loved it that much!! In fact, we decided to try and make it somewhat of a regular thing. Can't wait to go back in the Winter!!! Thanks Melissa and Ray!!!!!! You really have outdone yourselves!!! Best to you guys always!!

Baltimore, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I try to get away for our anniversary every year. We've stayed at many places, b&bs, cabins, etc., but it wasn't until we visited the Alpine Hideaway that we found that one place we want to return to again and again. We stayed at the Pond Cottage. It was absolutely adorable! Super clean with a ton of wonderful little touches that make a guest feel special. The bath soaps and bath grains for the jacuzzi tub smelled amazing! We absolutely loved the location of the pond cottage being so close to the Bed & Breakfast. It afforded us a nice easy walk over for social hour in the evenings to meet new people and chat with Ray and Melissa (our wonderful hosts!), and snack on some amazing snacks and local wines and brew.

We opted for the breakfast basket one morning and got breakfast at the b&b our final morning and now wished we had done it every day! So delicious! The jacuzzi and hot tub were the highlights of the trip. A great way to relax.

The location was a very short trip to Lexington which had wonderful coffee and restaurants.

We highly recommend Alpine Hideway! You'll love it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We spend a winter weekend here and LOVED it. We didn't leave the cottage the entire weekend! What a wonderful place. We hope to return again on our Anniversary in February! Last time we sat in the hot tub and watched the snow fall! AMAZING!!

Room Tip: There are NO cons to this place! The cottages are immaculate and the hot tub on the balcony is amazi...