“Comfortable Bed and Breakfast!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Shakespeare Package
Ranked #5 of 11 Staunton B&B and Inns
richmond
“Comfortable Bed and Breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed in the Patrick House and we loved our room. We had a queen size bed with a little sitting area and a huge bathroom. It was very comfortable and close to the historic downtown in Staunton. It was a nice change of pace from staying at a tradition hotel. We saw a wonderful play at the Black Friar's Playhouse and had a nice dinner afterward. The breakfast was delicious!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

The owners of the Frederick House love what they do, and that shows through in their business. We stayed in the Bowers House -- we had a private entrance to our room from the outside and a little porch with two chairs. We had a TV with cable so we could watch the Olympics at night. The two bathrobes were nice to have at night. Breakfast was wonderful! I had the yogurt with granola and fruit, and my husband had the strata. We loved our stay, and we will be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I wanted to love this inn. The innkeepers are hardworking, town boosters and their recommendation of a pizza place, Shendoah Pizza, was spot on (fabulous beer list!). The location is outstanding. The Blackfriars Theater and all restaurants are within a few blocks.

Our room, 21, was on the second floor of a building within 40 or 50 feet of the office. We are very active, physically fit 60+ peple. Others might be intimidated by the outdoor stairway from the parking lot to the back of the buildings. In our case, we had another climb as our room was on the second floor and we accessed it via an exterior porch. There were two levels above our room. Hauling luggage up to the top flight might be a bit much for some folks. The room was spacious, but the bathroom was small; dare I say say tiny? The vanity was outside the bathroom, which is fine, but it was low, i.e mid thigh level for me (I'm, 5"9"). On the street side, our room was street level and the road was very close. Staunton is an old city and the sidewalks are very narrow. The road noise was considerable. Pedestrians walked within 2 feet of the windows. The TV was an old, heavy pre-flatscreen relic. It sat at a 90 degree angle from both the bed and sofa. We didn't watch TV, but its placement was not ideal for those wishing to indulge. We travel with laptops and the WiFi was excellent, but there was no suitable work surface in the room.

Breakfast was Ok. We were offered a small glass of orange juice with no refill. There is a choice of breakfast entree and a few, thin slices of fruit (thin oragne slices, thin, small, cutouts of melon) on a separate plate are included. There is no separate toast, etc. Beakfast was not memorable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

We just stayed here for 2 nights with another couple. Our rooms were beautiful and furnished comfortably and tastefully. All rooms have a/c and ceiling fans. It was quiet and right in downtown Staunton making it easy to walk everywhere. Breakfast is generous and tasty and included in the nightly rate. The only small complaints I would have are that our bathroom was a bit dark and the combination body/shampoo bar was terrible as shampoo. I tend to pack light and use the provided shampoos etc but next time will bring my own.
Highlights of our stay include chatting with owners Edy and Joe who gave us great recommendations, and a full day of scenic driving including where to eat and what to see, and the South Patio where we sat for hours drinking wine and enjoying the weather. Edy and Joe definitely make the stay worth it and you'll feel like family. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2012
lyman, maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

A wonderful time at Frederick House. The rooms.....and I have stayed in many on a number of trips to Staunton, have always been comfortable, clean and quiet. Evy and Joe have always been attentive to my needs as a guest. The breakfast menu is varied; always tasty, and always fresh. I highly recommend Frederick House to those traveling through VA.

Room Tip: Tell Evy and Joe what you do want...........
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

While visiting Staunton, Va, we stayed at this hotel which is made up of several buildings, two of which were former residences. We stayed in the Patrick House which is a lovely old home that has been renovated. Our room was upstairs and had once been, I would guess, a sleeping porch. It also had a separate living area with fireplace (which we did not need since it was 100+ degrees outside). The entire area and bathroom was very clean and certainly did not smell. I found the innkeepers to be friendly and helpful. I really cannot imagine them being "rude" as "Kentucky" describes. The "male innkeeper" is a more reserved person but not rude. Breakfast was very tasty and it was rather funny seeing people reading their coffee mugs as that is where the menu is printed out......novel idea. They don't pour your coffee until you've looked at it, so don't worry. I can't imagine these innkeepers as "not caring" . I think many people do not understand serious allergies (I have one to shellfish). They do not realize that even the slightest taste could touch off a reaction. It is better for those of us who have them to explain the possible dangers.
The only thing I did not like were the towels. We could not tell if it was the way they were washed or the towels themselves. They almost felt like they are made from recycled material which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but they felt slippery almost and as if they would not dry you off well. A hand-towel in the bathroom next to the sink instead of a washcloth would be nice too.
I would definitely recommend Frederick House, and it is close to everything. We did not move our car after we parked it at arrival. So nice to walk to things.

Room Tip: There are pictures online of the rooms. Check them out and request one.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Independence, KY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I guess I've been spoiled by the B&B we visit in Sevierville, TN (Berry Springs Lodge is the BOMB) But I was shocked and appalled at our inn keepers' behavior. We got to our original room and it smelled how I put this gently....like someone had died in there. I called the front desk and the male inn keepr said Wow this is the first time I've heard this. Not that I don't believe you or anything.

BUZZZZZZZ wrong answer. Not sure what school of customer service you went to, but I'm pretty sure you'd get an F. How about I'm so sorry, let us get this fixed right away.

We pull around the front and they give us some round robin directions to get to another building. Thankfully my husband has a great sense of direction.

We were relocated to (The Patrick House) Which was really beautiful. I have to say the renovation on that property was top notch.

So we get to the breakfast the next AM and I had put on our reservation that we cannot have melon. My husband is severely allergic. We get our plates and there is melon on the plate. I specifically said we need a new plate; my husband cannot have melon he will end up in the hospital.

The inn keeper removed the melon and put the food that had touched the melon on a new plate, and my husband had a reaction shortly thereafter. Note to food servers everywhere. Food allergies are serious. It troubles me that this inn keeper didn't care about the well being of my husband. Shame on you!

Apparently not all B&B's are created equally. But once you've had it done right it's hard to accept anything less.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Frederick House? Share your experiences!