“Great German food cute place” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Reservations
Kentucky
“Great German food cute place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

Very good food. We split the Taste of German platter and the sides ( there are so many) kept biding refilled this is all home style. I had the Grape Custard Pie. It was all so good, very dark inside but there is outside dining as well. I will most defbe back

Visited August 2013

Franklinville, New Jersey, United States
“Great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Great German food. Authentic beers and wines. Walter's treehouse is a thing of beauty, ask him to show it to you. The daily specials were less than $20.00, and you will have to take some home. Worth the trip and right off I-81 exit 213.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chesapeake
“Edelweiss Restaurant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Traveling I-64 east and decided to stop here this time. We sat outside with just enough breeze and somewhat overcast to be very pleasant. Quaint and dark inside the restaurant. Meals were good - not the best German food we have had. Service was great. Tried a Paulner lager that was good. Had a slice of Grape Custard pie. YUM! Will definitely be making this at home. Nice clean place for an alternate meal when traveling - instead of McD's, Subway, etc....A little noisy as I-64 is in eye sight. Overall would try one more time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
woodstock, va
“I can't believe all the great reviews”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We just got home from this place. We travel a lot, and this was one of the worst restaurants I've ever been to. First, I ordered a glass of CA wine. Guess they don't get a lot of requests for this, b/c it obviously came from a bottle that had been open and sitting around for awhile. Lousy wine that had been exposed to oxygen and turned to vinegar. Next, the bread! It was German--a kaiser roll (yes, like you buy in a four-pack to make sandwiches), which they had thoughtfully microwaved.

Finally, the main dish arrived. My husband and I had very similar looking plates, although we'd ordered different entrees. Mine was pork, his was beef, but both were paper-thin small portions fried and coated in a similar gravy from a can. Mine was supposed to come with mushrooms--and I found one! Cabbage from a can. My husband's sauerkraut and green beans came from a can and were hardly microwaved. I had some kind of noodles that were cold and stuck in clumps with no flavor.

The service was also terrible--but it doesn't matter next to the food. I still have indigestion and I'm unhappy that we didn't just walk out. It was lunch, and it was also terribly overpriced.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Stuttgart, Germany
“Not the Swabian food I love”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We lived in Swabia for two years and ate out often. The food at Edelweiss was merely okay. The sides were family style and might as well have come from a can. Besides our plates were overflowing with kraut sauce, making anything on the plate taste of kraut. I suspect that any transplanted German cook must (over time) begin to cook what the local palettes enjoy. And plenty of American like this German-style food. It just wasn't the food we had in Germany.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere