“A touch of "heimat" off I-81 in Virginia” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Arlington, Virginia
“A touch of "heimat" off I-81 in Virginia”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We've been stopping for years at the Edelweiss restaurant and each time I am taken with how much it reminds me of the little bierstueben that dotted the back roads of country Bavaria long ago, when I lived there. It has excellent atmosphere, especially on Friday nights, when a local accordion group plays lively German tunes. Prices are reasonable. I alternate between the vegetarian plate and sauerbraten, both quite good and my husband recommends the Rinderbraten (beef) and the Stroganoff special (though he bemoans the lack of a starch underpinning to the Stroganoff.) The bread (real "brotchen," that we purchase by the bagful from them) is delivered warm and practically floats out of its basket. The side vegetables remind me of vegetable sides found in many Southern eateries--somewhat overcooked, but well-seasoned and comfy. In warmer weather one can sit outside on a comfortable porch. It's well worth stopping, especially when you're looking for a pleasant break from Interstate driving.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Princeton, West Virginia
“A piece of Germany nestled in Virginia.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My husband and I were in Staunton, VA for our 1st Anniversary. He used to be a trucker and raved about this restraunt. so while in the area he took me to it. I now understand the raves. The restraunt is beautifully decorated. The Food was excellent. the service was great. The night we went was a Saturday night and they had an accordion player preforming. The atmosphere was very authentic. There were only 2 down points to the experience 1. almost every dish had mushrooms and I am allergic. 2. the Restaurant is very small so at one point when the table behind me was occupied i was sitting right next to a complete stranger. however b4 the end of the night we had made new friends :) Over all an excellent experience and we will be going back in the future.

• Visited November 2012
Richmond, Virginia
“Great-tasting, Authentic German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I have been meaning to eat here for 3 years...I finally made it, and it was worth the wait! Rustic chalet feel inside with artifacts from Germany on the walls. I had lunch there, but the menu seemed almost like a dinner menu, no shortcuts on offerings. I had the Wienerschnitzel. It was perfectly golden brown! Sides that came with it were spaetzle, sauerkraut, red cabbage, beans, and rolls. Others at my table had equally tasty meals. Topped it off with black forest cake...Mmmmm. Great german food prepared by a native German. Prices were very reasonable for the large amount of food! I'm going back as soon as I can think of an excuse! Guten Appetit!

• Visited October 2012
Vienna, Virginia
“German Food Okay, not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We went to this restaurant near Staunton on a Sunday afternoon. I liked that they had outdoor seating, an accordian player, and huge selection of beers and wine.
Unfortunately, the food was average. But if you're looking for okay food and good German beer, this is the place for you.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
small town VA
“Delightful and intimate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Edelweiss is my favorite German restaurant. The amosphere is great. On Fri nights? they have live music... accordians. It's festive. The food is great. The staff welcoming and friendly. It is a small restaurant and is located in the first floor of a log house. The food is well prepared in flavorful. The spatzel and red cabbage are heavenly. Sides are served family style... adding to the ambience.

• Visited June 2012