“Had a great time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 15 hotels in Staunton
Bluemont, VA
“Had a great time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We stayed at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel while on a Shakespeare weekend. The hotel is steps from the theatre, the room was in great condition, the bathroom was in very good shape, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was good and the staff attentive.

602 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Midlothian, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I thought the hotel was OK. I do want to start by saying I was put in the original section of the hotel and maybe the new one is better, but the room I was in was tiny. Carpet was fairly clean but felt old, bathroom was average, and the food was alright nothing to go crazy about. I will say that the staff were great. The lobby is pretty cool and the surrounding area is awesome. Lots of restaurants and things to walk to, but I would recommend staying somewhere else and driving to the area.

Room Tip: Request the newer section. Maybe that side is better, but I have honest clue.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Melbourne, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My family and I have been there once in the past and the visit was worth another go. We will actually be visiting the Hotel again in about two weeks. Nice to have an indoor pool over the winter months, central location allows for great location. Not to far from a home feel on the inside and the folks there are down to earth. Looking forward to they stay and hope it goes as well as in the past. nothing is perfect but they try the best that they can and were readily available to assist me at about 3am on my last arrival. They assisted my family very well the whole time.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This was a favorite hotel in a favorite city. I'll give it another chance because of the ideal location, but the housekeeping standards must be raised. The room looked clean, but the dust on the window frames must have been months old. Less old (I hope) were the peanuts, pecans, and cracker bits we found on the carpet. I really hope they can do better.

On a different subject, the wonderful beds deserve better comforters. The one we had was very lumpy.

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Perfect locAtion for visiting the American Shaakespere Center. Terrific staff, especially Ashley & Marshall in the bar. We have been there many times & its always well mqintained & sparkling clean.

Complaints in other reviews about parking garage are just silly. Its one elevator for the garage levels & one for the rooms. Luggage carts are available. If you dont see one just ask for heavens sake. Its a small hotel in a little southern town not the Ritz in NYC so no there are no bell hops or doormen. Also means there are no hands held out expecting tips.

Dont like the pillows but then I never like hotel pillows. I find the beds a bit hard but my husband loves them. Breakfast can be hit or miss depending on how many guests arrive at the same time
but its in a very pretty room with great view.

Small indoor pool/hot tub pleasant & always spic & span with plenty of towels.

Hotel is pet friendly & we have never had any issues with noise or cleanliness from said pets.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on higher floors for prettier views. Only specific rooms are pet friendly.
Alexandria VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Clean. Comfortable beds. Hard towels. Low water pressure. Very nice location and friendly lobby staff. You have to handle your own luggage. Unfriendly or should I say unhelpful dining staff. Worth it for the location.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

I stayed at the Stonewall Jackson Hotel & Conference Center for 3 days for a business conference. It was very professionally handled, very smooth, no hitches at all.

My room was ready much earlier than check in and I was able to unload my bags early. There were no luggage carts in evidence, and no staff to assist with unloading, so pack lightly. The room was beautifully done. I didn't notice the size of the room being any less than more traditional hotels - I had a king size bed, a side chair, and a loveseat comfortably in the room. The heat was very responsive and I could lower the temp to what suited me. The only issue I had with the room was that there was no bathtub, only a shower. When I realized this I thought it would not matter, but later wished I had asked to change to a room with a tub. (Since the hotel was sold out due to our conference, by the time I realized this, it might not even have been possible.)

A lovely breakfast buffet was included with the room. My only issue with this is that the breakfast room was set up with very large tables, obviously intended to allow for conference participants to mingle during breakfast. My preference in the morning is for more quiet time to read the newspaper or watch the news while I gather myself for the day, and this was not possible in this setting where we were essentially required to be at tables with 8-10 others for breakfast. There were no smaller or individual seating options. They also ran out of newspapers at the front desk very quickly - one day I got the last paper, and the second day, even though I came down during the first hour of a 3 hour breakfast window, the newspapers were already gone. There was a room service option for breakfast, although I did not want to pay extra for it when breakfast was already paid for.

The hotel took care of amenities very well - self parking is a $4 daily charge, and it includes unlimited comings and goings. It is conveniently located with an elevator from the parking decks into the hotel lobby. Also, wireless internet is complimentary with the room. There is an indoor pool which I did not use as I had neglected to bring a suit.

Personal preferences: the bed was harder than I like, and the pillows were harder than I prefer as well, so I was very happy to get home to my softer bed and pillows. If you need a soft pillow, best bring your own.

The Stonewall Jackson is very conveniently located with several nice restaurants within walking distance. Overall, I'd stay there again on personal trips and I would love to attend another conference there.

Room Tip: ASK for a bathtub if you like one; they are not in all rooms.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!