“Still good” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Still good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is my second review of Mrs. Rowe's. I have been stopping by here every chance I get , 3-4 times a year. The food and service are always very good. Great prices and you leave full. The pies are a must have. If you are in the area, it is worth the stop.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newark, Delaware
“Good food, fair price and not the same old chain.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

We stop in each time we travel down to south western, VA. the food is good, the service polite and the price is fair. Best of all it is not the same old chain food. We particularly enjoy the fried chicken, the soups and the pies. The best pies are chocolate, peanut butter and pecan pies.

Visited September 2013
Butler, Pennsylvania
“Good food, home-style cooking”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Our hosts at the B&B we were staying at in nearby Goshen, VA had Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant and Bakery as one of their recommendations for Staunton, and home-cooked southern-style food sounded exactly like what we were hungry for so we decided to dine here.

Good choice!

She had the pork tenderloin which was most excellent, along with very good (and REAL) mashed potatoes and tasty green beans. I had fresh trout which was perfectly prepared along with mashed potatoes and most excellent pinto beans.

We had been hearing that Mrs. Rowe's was most famous for their desserts, so we split 3 slices of pie between us (it was vacation, so we splurged!) We tried the chocolate, butterscotch, and coconut cream pies and we were definitely not disappointed! These pies were delicious!

It is easy to see why locals love this place. Excellent food, out of this world desserts, and decent prices make for a certain winner.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Center Valley, PA
“Really nice people, blah meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We stopped here in mid-August 2013 for a late dinner. We travel to-and-from Charlotte fairly regularly and we stay in Staunton as the halfway point of each drive. Our hotel is a mile from Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant. We had been thinking about eating here for years, but had never done so. This past weekend, we decided it was time to give this place a shot.

We arrived on a Saturday 10 minutes before 8 pm and were the last folks seated for dinner. The dining room was nice but not fancy. It was, however, decorated with interesting local art works that were for sale, one of which we purchased on our way out.

Our meal was moderately priced. My wife and I split the pork chop dinner with green beans and mashed potatoes. We had spoonbread as our dinner bread and two iced teas. With 20% tip, dinner was $28.50.

The spoonbread was wonderful! The green beans were a bit overcooked (limp) and even having the pork bacon in it (Southern style) wasn't enough to save it. The mashed potatoes were OK. The two pork chops were overcooked and very dry. No real flavor and even the texture was a bit cooked out.

Our meal was VERY slow in coming. It took us an hour for the meal we describe and most of that time was waiting. Our waitress was very apologetic about our wait; she reported they had turned off the stove because it was almost closing time.

We suspect this place can serve a better meal than we had. Being the last diners served in the day is clearly not the way to find out how well they can do. That's why we gave them average and not poor.

That said, when we came in, we did ask, "Are we too late?" and were told that 8:00 was the last seating and as long as one was seated by 8 there was no problem. In addition, Mrs. Rowe's apparently is most famous for its wonderful desserts and my wife and I did not have dessert. The list of pies and other desserts looked tasty, however.

We are unlikely to go back. Based on the menu and the niceness of the waitress and that it is a local restaurant and not a big chain, prior to our meal arriving we had decided we would, in future, make this our regular restaurant on our stays in Staunton on the way home. Unfortunately, the quality of the meal itself convinced us not to do that. Oh well.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hampton, Virginia
“"Home cooking, away from home".”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

My wife and I went to Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant and Bakery during the month of August, 2013. This place was recommended to me by a friend who knew of their delicious food and homemade desserts. Very simple and stylish on the inside, nothing fancy, just simple. This simple appearance is home to some of the best food you'll ever eat. The prices were very reasonable, with steak, seafood, and chicken dishes. After an enjoyable meal of fresh trout, stewed tomatoes, fried apples, and homemade bread, I was ready for their homemade dessert. I chose peanut butter pie and am glad I did ! The large slice that was given to me was as good as I had ever had. My wife enjoyed a piece of egg custard pie, which she remarked, was as good as her mom's. What a great place to eat and enjoy "home cooking, away from home". You pass through the bakery as you exit. If you don't stop and at least look, you'll never forgive yourself ! Whole pies can be purchased. Enjoy !

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere