“Pies are great” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Reedville, VA
“Pies are great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

This was recommended by locals since I mentioned a liking of Cracker Barrel. I didn't eat a meal here but bought several pies for celebration during holidays and they were great. The coconut cream was the best. The meringue was perfect. Definitely stop by!!

Visited November 2012

64% Recommend
Charlottesville, Virginia
“An Ordinary Restaurant for Ordinary People”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

And there is nothing wrong with that. But honestly, this is average "home-cooking" -- nothing too special. The restaurant is clean. The food is not half as good as granny used to make. The wait staff is friendly. And if not for the pies -- outstanding -- this is just an ordinary diner. I cannot think of a single item I've eaten here that one could brag about. But nothing made me ill, either. I think that out-of-towners can safely skip the experience.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Smithfield, Virginia
“Restaurant waste of time, Bakery items good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

On our way to Staunton Va. we were going to stop at Cracker Barrel but at the turn off we saw Mrs. Rowe's Restaurant. My husband had heard of this place so we decided to give it a try. As you enter the restaurant you will see display cases of baked goods that looked great. We were seated right away and the waitress was very nice and good at her job. I decided to try the Tuesday Special of Spagetti and a salad. The salad was fresh with regular vegetables and iceberg lettuce served on a small plate. I was looking forward to the spagetti and garlic bread. Boy was I disappointed! I'm not sure if the spagetti was suppose to have a "liquid" sauce but it was dry. It had crusty dry spots where it had been sitting (probably in a hot pot) for a while. It was pasty. The bread was just white bread slice toasted with garlic on it. My husband got the meatloaf with spoonbread and baked apples. The meatloaf had very little flavor and was bland with brown gravy almost like country style steak but the spoonbread and baked apples were very good. Before the meal was served I went to the bakery and picked up a large cranberry muffin and a large cranberry fritter for the next morning breakfast, I tried the muffin and it was VERY good and the fritter was also. The large muffin and fritter were just over $3.00 together and a bargain. As I said the service and bakery goods were very good but I think they need to work on the dinners. Meatloaf and a "Special" should be the best and easy to make. I didn't finish the spagetti dish. I would not go there again for the dinners. I think they should stick to what they do best. Baking desserts. The rating of average was because of the service, side dishes and baked good. Otherwise, it would have gotten a terrible rating. Sorry, just being honest as a traveler.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Good Quick Service....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I had come to Staunton to see Woodrow Wilson's Boyhood Home and in reading an on line article, they recommended going to Mrs. Rowe's for a down-home meal and to try their spoon bread. So after a morning of sightseeing and before heading home, I swung into Mrs. Rowe's for a quick lunch. I was immediately seated and in no time had ordered a simple meal (including spoon bread). My waitress was very friendly and helpful. The food was simple, but good and the price was excellent. Didn't have room for any of their famous desserts (the pies looked delicious). I may have to go back sometime for some pie.....

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, Canada
“Great history”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Well priced for hearty food. Enjoyed the wide choice of sides. Efficient service. Interior lacks the charm of the exterior.

Visited January 2013