“Beautiful!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staunton
Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA
You added Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA to your Saves list
484 Walnut Hills Road, Staunton, VA 24401-6936 (Formerly Walnut Hills Campground and RV Resort)   |
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Beautiful!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

It's been a while since I visited, but I finally told myself I needed to leave a review. Firstly, the campground was absolutely gorgeous and very well maintained. We looked around in the area, and it was by far the most beautiful.

My young children (under 8) begged me to take them tent camping for months, and I finally caved. My main concern was how loud they would be. I didn't want to disrupt any neighbors, so I tried to find a campground with a site that was more private. Our primitive tent site was more than I could have asked for. It was down a hill and back in the woods, nestled between two creeks. We felt like we were all alone back there. It was very quiet and all we could hear was the water.

The owners and staff are super amazing too. During our stay, they were very accommodating, and always smiled and waved when they saw us. When I got home, I wrote an e-mail telling them how much we loved our stay and what I would like to see improved some. They promptly responded, thanking me for my feedback and explaining what they would like to do in the future. They even welcomed me to e-mail or call back for updates.

We went in the off season, so I cannot say what it's like when there are many people there. We will be returning as soon as it warms up this year though!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
C G, I'm so delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us! You were in one of our best tent sites, and I sincerely hope we'll see you there again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

My husband and I wanted a nice little getaway, on a limited budget, for our 10th anniversary.
We rented one of the deluxe cabins & it was the perfect place.
Spacious enough that we weren't on top of each other every time we tried to move, yet had a very cozy atmosphere.
Everything was very clean.
Our view of the lake was also wonderful.
Other campers were friendly & respectful.
Only "issue" was the camp store was only open from 9-6, so we never got to go there (even to check out). But they may have been the "out of season" hours.
Overall, a great experience & we would recommend them to anyone. We even want to go back with the children.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Erika Z, Manager at Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
jmbpicker, I'm so glad that you and your husband had a lovely time and enjoyed our facilities! We take pride in providing a clean and friendly atmosphere. I am sorry that you never had a chance to see the inside of our store - during our peak season (April through October), we are open longer hours to serve all our campers. We sincerely hope to see you again soon!
Blanchester, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

this place is BIG rig friendly, not for us at all. We have a small trailer and the big motorhomes were on top of us. We were in a pull thru with two big trailers on both sides, sitting in our chairs trying to relax, when they pull a BUS behind us. They but 2 trailers in 1 pull thru. Be careful you don't know this until your their. Most of their nice sites are monthly only. So now we're not camping or relaxing we're watching the owners SQUEEZE as many big trailers he can on this little plot of land. We left.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Jonnie, I am so sorry that you were disappointed with our campground and your site in particular. October is our busiest month and it can be difficult to accommodate everyone. However, I do hope you would be willing to give us another try during a future trip to see if we can find a site better suited to your needs.
Roanoke, Virginia, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Walnut Hills KOA was very peaceful in the evenings. The campground offers "Big Sky" views over the nearby pastures for star gazing. The KOA is close enough to the interstate (I-81) that you can hear the faint constant drone of distant semi trucks and motor cycles. Not loud enough to disturb your slumber, yet faint enough to help hum you to sleep at night.

Too many dumb@ss dog owners in the surrounding RVs let their yappy dogs bark way too often and way too early (often during the official KOA Quiet Time). Why do dog owners pretend like nobody else can hear their stupid dog(s), and then do nothing to quiet them?

Our cabin was clean and 95% functional in all respects. My only complaint would be the height of the platform base for the bed. It was much too high for the average adult to get into and out of easily. Having the storage area beneath the bed was a good idea (in concept). But a very impractical choice of cabinet height makes it cumbersome for those having to get up a couple times during the night. The loft area in our cabin was perfect for youngsters and teenagers.

Most of the cabins overlook a small lake (pond) which lays central to the entire campground. In late August, they were having a very bad algae problem in the water. Making it very difficult and nearly impossible to do any fishing. Most people spent more time cleaning their tackle than they did actual fishing.

None of the cabins appear to have ground or parking level entry. Most cabins have several steps that you have to climb up to get into the cabin. The porch areas are covered, which is great if raining, but none of them were screened-in that we could see.

Room Tip: The "Lodge" cabin does not have much of a view of the pond and sits ob the opposite side f...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
TBone_Stakes, thank you so much for taking the time to post such a thoughtful review of our campground. As new owners, we are striving to improve the park at every turn and truly value your feedback. I do wish you had contacted our office regarding the barking dogs, as we'd like to handle these types of situations in the moment, if possible. We are also currently working on the algae situation in the lake, and hope to have it stay clear year-round, although this is a bit of a battle. Thanks again for all you had to share with us, and we hope to see you again!
Snydersville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

This is the first KOA my family ever experienced. In my diesel 1982 Chevette with Thule turtle top for camping gear this Homeschool family took to the road and landed here.

Our cabin situated on the hill overlooked the lake. The bathhouse is a bit of a hike ..... but I fell in love with KOA. It is now my preferred home away from home. I feel safe and its usually quiet and pretty wherever we go.

Most recently I was forced off road by bad weather and decided to rent cottage with bath and kitchen. Very sweet. Clean ..... all amentities of home ....... even had fieplace / heater most welcome on that very blustery day. The power went out but hey we're campers.
The owners attended to all guests making sure everyone was ok.

Hosts were kind, efficient and gracious. Of course I will g back.

• Stayed May 2013
North Easton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

We only stayed one night on our way home from TN and we had our own travel trailer. Yes some of the roads are tight but passable. The sites are level and the one we had was pull through with a patio and fire pit. Restrooms are old but well taken care of and clean. And the view from the top site are unbelievable. It is a little bit of 81 but not to bad. And we had no problem with the staff, they were friendly and accomadating. It was one of the nicer KOAs we have been to. And if we travel that way again I will have no problem staying here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Franklinville, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Office staff was great, well informed about the area. While my site was okay, many of the sites were too close to the roads. Lake had massive algae bloom and needed airiation. Lots of friendly waterfowl.

Room Tip: Stay up in the top tiers
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
Quality Inn & Suites
BEST WESTERN Staunton Inn
BEST WESTERN Staunton Inn
#4 of 16 in Staunton
4.0 of 5 stars 440 reviews

Been to Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA? Share your experiences!