“Good One Night's Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Staunton
Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA
You added Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA to your Saves list
484 Walnut Hills Road, Staunton, VA 24401-6936 (Formerly Walnut Hills Campground and RV Resort)   |
Alabaster, Alabama
“Good One Night's Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this KOA on our way to New England on vacation. We stayed in one of the Kamping Kabins, which is pretty much the most basic accommodation you can stay in, but was very adequate for our needs after a long day of driving. I have stayed in many KOAs in the past while on vacation in an RV, and this one would be very good for spending the night in an RV, as it is very quiet, wooded, and has full hookups with pull-through sites available. Although the campground is a little bit off I-85, I would definitely recommend this campground to folks towing a travel trailer or looking for a quick one night stay in a Kamping Kabin.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Richmond, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We went with our family and rented 2 cabins for 3 nights...it was a perfect get-away!! We loved the pool and all of the grassy area for the kids to play. The playground was fun; kids were obsessed with the neat wooden train and the tall-ish slide. Karaoke on Sat night was ...entertaining...haha. We opted to rent a golf caft which was a little pricey @ $90 for the weekend but well worth it. Cabins were about what we expected; small, simple and really all we needed for a short trip. Nearby is the American Frontier Museum, which is worth checking out and a nice park with great trails a short drive away. We will most definitely be back!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Vero Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

On our way from western North Carolina to the northeast, we spent one night in a motorhome with slideouts at the Staunton, VA KOA.

The pros are: (1) we had a large site with plenty of width for our slideouts and length for the toad; (2) despite the curving roads and hills in the park, our pull through site was level and easy in/easy out; (3) the park itself is heavily wooded and and quite pretty and (4) the campground is only a few miles off Interstate I-81. If you are lucky enough to get a hilltop site like we had, the mountain views are lovely. I can't comment on the amenities (pool, etc.) because we only spent one night and didn't have time to use them, but everything looked well-maintained. It also looked like there were a number of activities scheduled within the park to entertain kids and adults.

The cons are: (1) The drive from I-81 to the campground is only a few miles, but the roads are a bit narrow with some tight curves. I wouldn't want to make the drive in a large RV after dark. (2) Some of the roads within the park itself are a bit curvy with a couple of short, but fairly steep inclines. In a large RV, it wasn't really a problem, but it did make driving through the park "interesting." (3) When we checked in, the staffer on the registration desk was friendly, but was on the phone and seemed distracted by an issue another camper in the park was having and it took her quite a while to get us registered. She also drove the golf cart and we had to wait about 10 minutes for her to guide us to our site.

Overall, this KOA was a pretty campground and, if we were in the area, we would probably stay there again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012 via mobile

Staff were friendly. Pond had fish and ducks. There was a nice fire pit. It was open and dark, perfect to look at the stars! Far enough from highway that it was quiet but easy for a quick 1 night stay while traveling. Thanks so much!

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is a huge well equipped RV park but with a secluded shady and grassy area for tents so that you don't even notice all the RVs. The tent sites have a picnic table and a fire ring and shade. The surrounding countryside is very scenic and it is not too far from the Blue Ridge Parkway. It is obvious that the owners have put a lot of work into making this a really nice campground.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

This campground was once a Virginia plantation. It is huge and sprawling over many acres. There are RV sites, tent sites and Cabins/Cottages to rent. The pool is open Memorial Day to Labor Day and there is a huge lake for fishing. We only spent one night here in September, it was very quiet and the grounds are well taken care of. Pets are welcome but must be kept on a leash and cleaned up after. According to the brochure, there are lots of family and children's activities in the summer months like evening movies, hay rides and crafts, and special Halloween weekends with lots of fun things for kids and grown-ups alike.

Walnut Hills KOA is close to The Blue Ridge Parkway, Natural Bridge, Monticello and Woodrow Wilson's Birthplace. It's a great place to stay if you are passing through this area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Central VA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

Have stayed at Walnut Hills with our camper in the past. Fairly nice campground with lots of meandering curves.
Not much to do except hang out at your camper, walk around the lake, or play on the playground.
Expensive.
Decided to stay in the cabins for a weekend before my husband left on deployment since we had sold our camper.
Upon arriving, the cabins are SUPER tiny and cramped. The photos are incredibly deceiving. Nice view.
At bedtime, after the little one had been tucked into a bunk bed.
I pulled down the blanket in the 'master bedroom' to find the remnants of past guests. A greasy body print, and dog hair. Lots of dog hair. I immediatley contacted their 'emergency line' and explained my unhappiness and the fact that we were leaving tomorrow morning and I wanted my money back.
I then prepared to sleep in the top bunk while my husband slept on the 'couch'.
Housekeeping arrived to change out the linens. And did so very nicely.
I still told them we were leaving the next morning. I had already made hotel reservations in town.
Slept in the bunk anyway, and my husband slept on the couch anyway.
Checked out the next morning.
SInce then, I have requested my refund.
They sent a gift certificate. They do not do refunds.
I refused the gift certificate. I have NO camper and am not willing to drive three hours to sleep in their 'cabins' again.
They are very expensive for the area. You can do better.
Hope your stay is better.
We will not be back...sorry to say.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Been to Staunton / Walnut Hills KOA? Share your experiences!