“Very Pleasant Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 11 Staunton B&B and Inns
Arlington
“Very Pleasant Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We have a very brief yet pleasant stay at the Olde Staunton Inn this holiday weekend. The house is very nice and the room we stayed in (William Beverly) very comfortable and cozy. The owner was very hospitable and helpful. I am vegan so breakfast was pretty simple for me (this is always to be expected) but my husband enjoyed his eggs, sausage and fresh made baked goods.

One nice touch in the Inn was that the hallway had a bottled water dispenser, I like to fill my water bottle often that was a nice extra. I will say, they only offer small bars of soap so be sure to pack all your own toiletries...most of us do this anyway but I had forgotten my shampoo and had to make a special request from the owner.

It was a quick walk from the Inn to the "downtown" area of Staunton. Despite the lovely stay at the Inn we were very unimpressed with the town. We were there for the Memorial Day holiday but there were very few shops open on Monday and little to do. And honestly even if all the shops had been open, there were not many places to shop with the exception of a few antique stores and the glass blowing studio. There were only a few restaurants, it appeared several of them had recently closed. But we did have a nice dinner at the Byer Street Bistro, a cold beer at the Baja Bean Company, and tasty lunch the Depot Grille.

All in all it was a fine getaway, I was just really disappointed with the town itself. I think if you are into history there are a few museums that would be of interest, we are just not much in the way of history buffs and were looking for a quaint downtown to shop and peruse and unfortunately that was not what we encountered.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

David is a thoughtful and accommodating host who strikes the right balance between hospitality and independence for his guests. Others have commented on the comfort, amenities, fine breakfast, and cleanliness of this beautifully restored house. Additionally, quiet enables a good night's rest. There is a great library for the perusal of books on travel, history, architecture and more which invite relaxation during those "in between" moments. Thanks David, we'll be seeing you before long.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We arrived quite late at night and the innkeeper David wasn't around, so we rang the phone number on the door and asked him if there was any vacancy. David was very accommodating and although he wasn't at the B and B, he told us to let ourselves in and make ourselves comfy in our assigned room on the third floor. The room was beautiful and huge and we were provided with lots of information on Staunton and what there was to do in the town. Once we cleaned up we went downstairs and David had arrived home and was more than happy to provide us with restuarant tips for the night!
After a great nights rest in the most comfortable bed, the next morning we were provided a delicious breakfast by David in his gorgeous sunroom. He was also very interested to hear about our trip and gave us so many tips and reccomendatons for our future travels. We would defintely reccommend a stay at the Olde Staunton Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hillsboro, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

Stayed the weekend and had a lovely time. The owner is so kind and amenable, the room had everything necessary to make my stay easy (even a user-friendly, bedside Alarm Clock!), free wifi, easy parking and sumptuous, scrumptious breakfasts. No way I could eat everything offered, but I couldn't resist the homemade breads and muffins, and the fresh fruits were perfect (always lots of choices!). The ca. 1910 home has gorgeous woodwork and stained glass, and I loved sitting on the front porch in the morning and visiting the quiet library late at night. Just a fun stay in every way, and I'll be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed in early April 2013. Our accommodations could not have been more perfect for us. We stayed on the 3rd floor in a king room with bathroom. All was very comfortable, clean and quiet. My husband enjoyed a lovely breakfast each morning, while I slept in. The owner of the big stately home made everything easy for us. City amenities are about 3+ blocks walking distance; restaurants, antique shops etc. The inn rises about 2 flights of stairs above street level, but the climb is well worth it.

Room Tip: We peeked at the less expensive rooms. They are quite small, but so charmingly appointed that we may...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My wife and I stayed in one of the 3rd floor rooms--our friends were in the other one--for three nights in early March, 2013. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, and quiet. When we returned in the evenings, we enjoyed sitting and chatting with our friends in the library. Breakfast could not have been better. (Ask about the unique dining table.) David took my gluten-free diet in stride. David is an attentive, easy-going host. We have stayed at a higher-priced B&B in Staunton, but will definitely return to the Olde Staunton Inn if we have the opportunity.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Va Beach, Va.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just returned from a lovely, relaxing weekend at the Olde Staunton Inn. This was our first time staying at a Bed and Breakfast, and it definitely won't be our last. We felt like we were living in the lap of luxury during our stay because of all of the accommodations in the William Beverley room, including the King-sized bed, jacuzzi bathtub, and fireplace. David, the innkeeper, was very hospitable and is also a wonderful cook. We thoroughly enjoyed the muffins, ham and broccoli quiche, and chipped beef that he made. David was also very knowledgeable about the quaint town of Staunton and gave suggestions of places to eat based on what we said we were interested in. Some of our new favorite restaurants became Byers Street Bistro, Mill Street Cafe, and the Split Banana Company.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Olde Staunton Inn? Share your experiences!