“Nothing fancy, but clean and just fine” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #10 of 15 hotels in Staunton
Oak Park, IL
“Nothing fancy, but clean and just fine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

From the outside and in the lobby, I was concerned that I had made a not-so-great choice. But, my room was clean, smelled fresh, well cared for, relatively modern, and was a great value for the price. The location was near downtown Staunton and convenient to local attractions. Free wifi was nice, too. I'd go back....

Not a four star hotel, but a good value for the price.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

238 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

The surrounding neighborhood and the exterior of this hotel is a little spooky, especially at night. Once I got in my room though, I was happy with everything. It's not a four star hotel but everything was clean and I was close to downtown. Would consider staying here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Johnson City, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

We stayed at this HoJo on the way to Virginia Beach. The owner took special privilege in welcoming us, and introduced us to his family. He showed us his private garden, and all the vegetables he grew. The rooms were nice, with every modern amenity. Overall, this hotel was quite nice, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Niagara Falls, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The setup of the hotel its self was very odd and very old. There were no interior halls to speak of, and it was about 30 degrees outside when I was there. The rooms are very old and need an update. The bed was rock hard and broken on one side. Thank god I was only staying a couple of nights. I know I won't be staying there again based strictly on the no inside hallways, let alone the train that goes by every 2 hours.

The staff was very stand offish. When I walked in to check in the desk clerk was sitting in the little area off to the side on his laptop. It took him a minute to get up and ask what I needed. I guess what ever he was doing on the internet was more important then taking my money.

I will say the only real good thing about this hotel was its location. It was a little hard to find but thank god for a GPS. But it was near a lot of things. I was litterally only minutes away from anything that was related to the area. Even the gas station was close by with a Walmart, Dominos pizza, Chinese restaurant and a Hardees.

The only reason I am giving it a three circle rating is because of the price and location. It was not the cleanest nor the most up to date place I have stayed but it was one of the cheapest.

Room Tip: The odd number rooms have a view of the only parking lot. A good choice to keep an eye on your car
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Staunton, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I booked #131 a smoking, king size bed room with jacuzzi for our honeymoon suite. The jacuzzi knobs were broken, and all we heard was the banging of the stairwell door all night long. We paid a luxury price without the luxury. When we complained, the clerk said we would have to talk to the manager who was not there, and he showed an attitude. Worst hotel experience ever.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Howard Johnson Express Staunton? Share your experiences!