“Nice place to stay but management is sleazy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Staunton

Save Saved
You added Motel 6 Staunton to your Saves list
Motel 6 Staunton
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   96 Baker Lane, Staunton, VA 24401 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Ranked #15 of 15 hotels in Staunton
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Nice place to stay but management is sleazy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

The staff at this Motel 6 is friendly and nice, however, the manager is not. Upon check-in it was not disclosed to us that the entire motel was lacking hot water and had been for several days prior. We did not realize this until the next morning when we went to take showers. We needed to stay another night and were told there was no expectation of the hot water getting fixed. Because we travel with our dog our options are limited and we were forced to stay another night without hot water.
With all of that being said, the lobby was clean and nice. It's a quiet hotel and our room was very clean. I was especially impressed with the bedding which was more like what you would find at a "better" hotel. Although the hot water situation is a nuisance it did not make the stay unbearable. My unhappiness mostly came from the fact that management did not disclose the hot water situation to us or other guests upon check-in nor was a discount on the room offered. That is good business practice and would go a long way!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bridgend, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Foolishly, possibly, we booked without referring to Trip Advisor, or anyone else. Just found it on the net. We arrived mid afternoon, it looked okay, so we booked in. Drove to the Woodrow Wilson Library, had a look around town, did not see anywhere to eat we fancied, so called at Walmart for provisions and back to the room. The T V was fine, the room clean, nothing to complain about. Presumably as the Wi-Fi is 'free' its not corporate (?) However, the Wi-Fi neither worked in our room or reception, so we had to give up and book the following night by telephone. Hopefully, the new management are trying to improve things, we will probably visit again to check !

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

WE had expected to stay at the Quality Inn in Staunton but upon arrival found that it is no longer in business. A Motel 6 is now located at this address, as of July 2013, and it was not one of the better Motel 6 hotels that we have encountered. We left before entering due to the clientele that we observed in the parking lot and the condition of the exterior of the building. Absolutely would not recommend this place based on outward appearance.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Seymour, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I decided to end a 10 hour day of driving with a stay in the Staunton area. I had no reservation. I had remembered seeing online that Motel 6 had a new location here, and having not been able to find reviews, I thought it would be "new". I had a weird feeling when pulling up and only seeing 3 cars in the parking lot. Nevertheless, I checked in for the walk up rate of $42.99. My room was non-smoking, at least that is what the door said. I stepped in,the room was quite warm. I turned on the a/c and was hit with a blast of cigarette stinking air. The smell was all over the room. The a/c blew warm air. The arms on the chair where black (I think the chair was dark red). The carpet had a weird look. I turned around and asked for a refund. You could not have PAID me to stay here. The front desk person was nice enough. Se asked why and I told her. She didn't seem surprised. This place is gross.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I didn't have any of the problems that everybody else did. Four of us had 2 room for about $50 each. King rooms. It had a refer, no microwave. One of my major complaints at hotels is dirty rugs. The kind that you leave footprints in the tub. Did not have that problem here. Everything in both rooms worked. The rooms do need a makeover. It looks like they are trying to clean things up. The lobby showed signs of work being done. Check in was quick and easy. Did not see any hookers, cops or snakes. I probably will not be back unless the reviews get better. I have been in much worse.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Waldorf, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This former Quality Inn is now a MOTEL 6. The sign from the highway still says Quality Inn. It isn't until you actually go straight up to the motel that you see "MOTEL 6 NOW OPEN." That said, I purchased the hotel online thinking it was a Quality Inn and the rates were slightly higher. I've never seen a bait and switch pulled off like this before. Supposedly the desk clerk said it just turned to a Motel 6 two nights ago.

Upon approaching the motel there was a car blocking the entrance. I don't know if the guy was drunk or high or whatnot but we noticed a police car searching the guys car upon leaving at midnight (and we also told the police the story of what's to come in this review to which he replied "We take one at a time" and laughed).

Pulling up to the lobby, you could hear rap music blasting from the meeting room. The desk clerk was morbidly obese and had untrimmed facial hair, a pony tail, his shirt wasn't tucked in, etc. He basically looked like a sleezeball. There were a few black women who were dressed like prostitutes entering and leaving the lobby/meeting room/party area where the rap music was coming from. The sign outside that promised "Spacious Rooms, Free WiFi, and Free Hot Breakfast" was totally misleading (I'm guessing the former Quality Inn promised those things). Since it became a MOTEL 6 the desk clerk said "If you want coffee, it's around the corner." No WiFi, no Hot Breakfast. I'm guessing the rooms are the same size they were since it was a Quality Inn but that's about it.

We still, however, kept an optimistic attitude about our room.

When we arrived at room 136 we were in for quite a shock.

First off, the light was left on but you couldn't see anything because the blinds were closed. That's when I remember the catchphrase that MOTEL 6 used back in the day, "We Leave The Lights on For You." Well, they did just that. They also left the beds unmade and the TV on. Long story short, the room the sleezy desk clerk assigned us was OCCUPIED. Thank goodness the inhabitants were no where to be found (They were probably the two prostitute looking girls we saw leaving the lobby). That was the boiling point for my mother who went to the desk clerk said "I hope we are on candid camera" and told the guy the whole story. The desk clerk was unapologetic, said it wasn't supposed to be occupied, and offered us another room. Yeah, right, like we were going to actually stay in that flea bag after all this. Luckily we got everything straightened out with hotels.com and are charges were reversed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

During the warmer weather there are snakes that go under the air conditioners into the rooms. In colder weather there are snakes coming out in the lobby area. Black mold growing in most of the bathrooms which are not being cleaned with anything other than Windex. Room 100 has had mushrooms growing from the ceiling above the shower. Dishes are not being washed and sanitized properly. Leftover food is put back out the next day until its gone.Some of the rooms have roaches and brown recluse spiders have been found in the beds.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay at this hotel. 96 Baker Lane Staunton VA