“No longer in business as Quality Inn” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Staunton

You added Motel 6 Staunton to your Saves list
Motel 6 Staunton
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   96 Baker Lane, Staunton, VA 24401 (Formerly Quality Inn)   |
Ranked #15 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Raleigh, North Carolina
“No longer in business as Quality Inn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

WE had expected to stay at the Quality Inn in Staunton but upon arrival found that it is no longer in business. A Motel 6 is now located at this address, as of July 2013, and it was not one of the better Motel 6 hotels that we have encountered. We left before entering due to the clientele that we observed in the parking lot and the condition of the exterior of the building. Absolutely would not recommend this place based on outward appearance.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Seymour, CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

I decided to end a 10 hour day of driving with a stay in the Staunton area. I had no reservation. I had remembered seeing online that Motel 6 had a new location here, and having not been able to find reviews, I thought it would be "new". I had a weird feeling when pulling up and only seeing 3 cars in the parking lot. Nevertheless, I checked in for the walk up rate of $42.99. My room was non-smoking, at least that is what the door said. I stepped in,the room was quite warm. I turned on the a/c and was hit with a blast of cigarette stinking air. The smell was all over the room. The a/c blew warm air. The arms on the chair where black (I think the chair was dark red). The carpet had a weird look. I turned around and asked for a refund. You could not have PAID me to stay here. The front desk person was nice enough. Se asked why and I told her. She didn't seem surprised. This place is gross.

Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

I didn't have any of the problems that everybody else did. Four of us had 2 room for about $50 each. King rooms. It had a refer, no microwave. One of my major complaints at hotels is dirty rugs. The kind that you leave footprints in the tub. Did not have that problem here. Everything in both rooms worked. The rooms do need a makeover. It looks like they are trying to clean things up. The lobby showed signs of work being done. Check in was quick and easy. Did not see any hookers, cops or snakes. I probably will not be back unless the reviews get better. I have been in much worse.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Waldorf, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This former Quality Inn is now a MOTEL 6. The sign from the highway still says Quality Inn. It isn't until you actually go straight up to the motel that you see "MOTEL 6 NOW OPEN." That said, I purchased the hotel online thinking it was a Quality Inn and the rates were slightly higher. I've never seen a bait and switch pulled off like this before. Supposedly the desk clerk said it just turned to a Motel 6 two nights ago.

Upon approaching the motel there was a car blocking the entrance. I don't know if the guy was drunk or high or whatnot but we noticed a police car searching the guys car upon leaving at midnight (and we also told the police the story of what's to come in this review to which he replied "We take one at a time" and laughed).

Pulling up to the lobby, you could hear rap music blasting from the meeting room. The desk clerk was morbidly obese and had untrimmed facial hair, a pony tail, his shirt wasn't tucked in, etc. He basically looked like a sleezeball. There were a few black women who were dressed like prostitutes entering and leaving the lobby/meeting room/party area where the rap music was coming from. The sign outside that promised "Spacious Rooms, Free WiFi, and Free Hot Breakfast" was totally misleading (I'm guessing the former Quality Inn promised those things). Since it became a MOTEL 6 the desk clerk said "If you want coffee, it's around the corner." No WiFi, no Hot Breakfast. I'm guessing the rooms are the same size they were since it was a Quality Inn but that's about it.

We still, however, kept an optimistic attitude about our room.

When we arrived at room 136 we were in for quite a shock.

First off, the light was left on but you couldn't see anything because the blinds were closed. That's when I remember the catchphrase that MOTEL 6 used back in the day, "We Leave The Lights on For You." Well, they did just that. They also left the beds unmade and the TV on. Long story short, the room the sleezy desk clerk assigned us was OCCUPIED. Thank goodness the inhabitants were no where to be found (They were probably the two prostitute looking girls we saw leaving the lobby). That was the boiling point for my mother who went to the desk clerk said "I hope we are on candid camera" and told the guy the whole story. The desk clerk was unapologetic, said it wasn't supposed to be occupied, and offered us another room. Yeah, right, like we were going to actually stay in that flea bag after all this. Luckily we got everything straightened out with hotels.com and are charges were reversed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

During the warmer weather there are snakes that go under the air conditioners into the rooms. In colder weather there are snakes coming out in the lobby area. Black mold growing in most of the bathrooms which are not being cleaned with anything other than Windex. Room 100 has had mushrooms growing from the ceiling above the shower. Dishes are not being washed and sanitized properly. Leftover food is put back out the next day until its gone.Some of the rooms have roaches and brown recluse spiders have been found in the beds.

Room Tip: Do NOT stay at this hotel. 96 Baker Lane Staunton VA
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Savannah, GA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife and I have only stayed in one worse hotel/motel in our nearly thirty years together. The room smelled like feet. The beds were small, the pillows even smaller. The bathroom was nasty, it's door clearly needed to be washed down, and there was dirt in the corners of the floor. The wall paper was in the process of falling. The room is crying out to be gutted and completely redone. I slept with my clothes on, on top of the sheets. Even the motel's exterior steps were deteriorating in spite of many coats of crackling paint. If the room wasn't so cheap (and we weren't so tired) we would have gotten back on the road and kept driving until we found someplace more habitable. I honestly take no pleasure in giving any business a bad review, and normally don't bother, but the "Quality" Inn merits a warning to other travelers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed overnight because of a meeting in the area. The lobby was torn up because of renovation, so I walked in to dust and noise and dirt... okay that happens... bad timing.

The hotel had a banner outside for 44.99 per night Mon.-Thurs. one person. I had booked for $15 more per night on choicehotels.com so asked for a reduction. The person at the desk said I had to ask the manager. Because I did not book with the hotel but with a service that takes a comission (I didn't realize that) they would only reduce by $8. BOOK DIRECTLY THROUGH THE HOTEL TO SEE IF THERE ARE DEALS.

The room was not all I wanted, dated by clean and with free internet access. The room also faced the innerstate but not too noisy in the room. There is a pool, not open in March, but I can't imagine anyone staying here more than they would absolutely have to.

The breakfast was practically non-existent. Only coffee, fruit loops and white bread. This could have been due to the lobby renovation.

Room Tip: You might want to avoid the innerstate side.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Motel 6 Staunton? Share your experiences!