“A special gem” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Marietta, Georgia
“A special gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Staunton, a Civil War town in the shadow of the Appalachian mountains, is an unexpectedly funky, friendly, liberal-minded, smart little city, and Aioli is a gem which should not be missed. Our dinner was wonderful. We began with the butternut squash soup which was superb. And the turnout was impressive, as was each dish. My wife ordered the three kinds of bruschetta and gave it an A rating. My creamy risotto was A+ -- large kernels, not the small dry pebbles so often encountered -- and yes, it was truly creamy. The winter beets were fresh and the accompanying goat cheese was so warm and fresh that I wondered whether the restaurant had a kid tied up outside in back. A warning about service, however: it was slow. With pre-theater reservations, we were one of the first two couples to arrive at the restaurant. Yet, it was almost half an hour before our soup course was served. And our next courses kept us waiting, too. I suspect this was because each dish was hand-prepared largely from scratch. It certainly looked and tasted that way. When we ordered the apple tart for dessert, our waitress warned us it would take 12 minutes to prepare -- which I took as confirmation of a hands-on kitchen. Just be prepared to take the time to enjoy a great meal, and because we arrived early, we were able to do so. The decor is eclectic and adds to the ambience. The restaurant had filled up by the time we left for the theatre--and many of the diners seemed to be local, another point in Aioli's favor. But if you're from out-of-town as we were, here's a tip: Aioli is about three blocks away from the Blackfriars Theatre and not all that easy to find. Two blocks east on Beverly St., then turn north. You won't spot it easily because there is no obvious awning, but keep walking toward the end of that block. Like the service wait, the walk is well worth it.
--James Polk, Marietta, Ga.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Staunton, Virginia
“My Birthday Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Aioli was my choice for dinner for my birthday celebration. I was very pleased. I posted online that we were going to Aioli for my birthday dinner and one of my friends surprised me by calling the restaurant and paying for my dessert! As always, everything was delicious!

They have live jazz on the first and second Thursdays of every month. They have private dining for up to 35 people.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia
“Our favorite stop for dinner in Staunton”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is about our forth visit to this cool restaurant and we continue to be impressed. The salmon dish that my wife had was excellent with a unique combination of red beets, citrus fruits and pureed califlower. The fish was cooked to perfection. I had the grilled chicken with peanut sauce and the diver scallops. Both excellent. The menu is not extensive, but the quality is up there. The chef owner of Aioli certainly knows what he is doing with food. Well done!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia
“What a pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My friend and I parked our car and then were looking for a place for a light dinner.
The lamb sausage were outstanding, probably the best I have ever had and my lentil soup was seasoned to perfection, I love lentils.
Our wine was really good, and the pour was substantial...

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely restaurant. My husband and I enjoyed the wonderful service and the best dinner we have had in a restaurant in ages. Subtle true flavors were a joy.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere