“Wonderful food & atmosphere in Old Town Staunton, VA” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Alexandria, Virginia
“Wonderful food & atmosphere in Old Town Staunton, VA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed over night at the Franklin House B&B in Staunton, VA, on our way to Snowshoe, WV to ski. Aioli was recommended by the Franklin House proprietor and we walked the 2 short blocks there. The rockfish was delicious and the house made ravioli was some of the best we've had -- even in many visits to Italy. Chef & Owner Said Rhafiri from Casablanca, Morocco is a delight. He studied in Italy for many years and it shows in his choices of appetizers (tapas on the menu) -- obviously, he appreciates Spanish food, as well. If you're in Staunton definitely stay at the Franklin House and eat at Aioli.

• Visited January 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Amissville, VA
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2011

Unfortunately a large noisy party (but it is Christmastime) so I cannot comment on the normal ambiance - The food was outstanding so it made up for the noise (the reason for the very good not excellent rating).

Visited December 2011
Millboro, Virginia
“A new restaurant find in Staunton!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

After a downtown Staunton matinee, my wife, daughter and I chose Aioli amongst the numerous nearby dining choices. The decor is stylish, with an exposed brick theme set off by creative architecture trim and lighting. Yummy seasonal cocktails (hot mint mojitos) were followed by some of the best hummus we've ever tasted (and my daughter claims to eat hummus worldwide). I ordered ravioli which was handmade and beautifully seasoned. Pasta dishes aren't my normal go-to but the menu description won me over. My wife and daughter had red snapper, which was pan-seared to perfection and served with friend polenta, seasonal vegetables, and flavorful sauces. The service was some of the best I've experienced, with a very attentive waitress and manager checking in on us relatively often. If you're a native of Staunton or just visiting from out of town, I highly recommend Aioli.

• Visited December 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Staunton
“Could be, should be, much better; perhaps with time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We had very high hopes when we visited Aioli soon after they opened. We very much enjoyed Mediterranean fare in Raleigh, NC and had high expectations for this new restaurant. The atmosphere was very nice and service very good. We tried several items and some were very good and others just ok. The value seemed rather low to what we enjoyed at other places including Long Beach, CA. We will consider giving them another try after they have more experience at this new location. I wish them well as I would love to have an excellent Mediterranean restaurant in Staunton and they have a good start; just needs to bump it up some. Staunton needs one and we would really like to have a local place to enjoy great Mediterranean fare.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chapel Hill, NC
“memorable dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We were so delighted to come upon this restaurant, during an overnight stay at the nearby Frederick House. We live in an area somewhat known for "fine dining" (the North Carolina Triangle), and our dinner at Aioli was superior to most of the meals we have locally. The food was both inventive and meticulous, without being fussy. The space and service was very welcoming. Kudos!

Visited September 2011