“Excellent deals and friendly service” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 106 Restaurants in Staunton
Cuisines: Japanese
Washington DC
“Excellent deals and friendly service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We travel to Staunton several times a year for the Shakespeare, and have watched the restaurants come and go, mostly without regret. Massaki is a find - and recommended by several local friends. The hibachi meals can be ordered at a table (rather than as a show), and all the fish was fabulous - fresh and tasty and beautifully cooked. My sushi was excellent.
The lunch and early dinner specials (before 5:30 pm) are great - including 30% off sushi!
This will be our new go-to restaurant in Staunton from now on.

Visited April 2013

Staunton, Virginia
“Everything but Japanese food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Friendly host, good service, nice decor, and a good show. Too bad only the menu describes Japanese food but the cusine is strictly Staunton fare on rice. Now to be fair, we did not try any sushi at our lunch, I had Udon with tempura vegs, and she had Hibachi chicken with fried rice. We were both served a "house salad" of iceberg lettuce that must have been cut by the dishwasher. The fried rice had no identifiable flavor, the three year old at our Hibachi thought it was wonderful. The fried spring rolls were made without identifiable ingredients or flavor. Udon soup was mild, but tasty broth. Yum Yum sauce was described by the server as, "1000 Island without pickle relish". That was correct. The only Yum Yum in our lunch was name of their sauce. We almost booked a party of 8, before we tried Japan's bow to the mid-Virginia palate. I wish they gave us more credit for knowing good food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Staunton, Virginia
“HORRIBLE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We eat here ALOT! My husband is in the Army & they are aware of it. My son & I came to eat Easter Sunday & ordered my husband's food to go since he had to work a 16 hour shift today and this is our favorite restaurant. I wanted to surprise him with his favorite. After the WORST service EVER from Keri C. They wouldn't give me the less than $3 military discount for my husband's meal because he wasn't physically there! They knew it was for him because he orders the same meal EVERY WEEK! And I have a spouse military ID! So, we will take our business elsewhere. I can get horrible service somewhere else for less than $100.

• Visited March 2013
Covington, Virginia
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The food is great, service is great and the staff is very friendly; we have been here more then once.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Saunderstown, Rhode Island, United States
“Pretty average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

My husband and I ate here on our way to New Orleans.
Have to say, not much ambience,although we didn't
eat in the hibachi section. My husbands octopus roll was really chewy,
seafood as well as nori. I ordered the chicken - swordfish
combo but they were out of swordfish. I had a pretty
ordinary chicken teriyaki. The wine selection is
small and not very good. Our server was busy, but nice.

• Visited February 2013