“Rooms very musty and smelled of smoke.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
“Rooms very musty and smelled of smoke.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

We stopped here because there were no rooms in Charlottesville. On the plus side the staff was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately the rooms smelled musty and smoky. Found out that the 4th floor has smoking rooms and we were on the third. The sheets felt like there was sand in it. Overall gross but bearable.

• Stayed September 2013
Mid_AtlanticMichele, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. We are happy to hear that our staff was so friendly and helpful during your stay with us. We are so sorry to hear that your room did not smell fresh and clean upon your arrival and your bedding felt sandy. We have high standards for the cleanliness of our guest rooms. Unfortunately, we seemed to have really missed the mark with your stay with us. We have shared your feedback with our housekeeping team. Our staff and management take all guest feedback very seriously and we will be reviewing our room inspection procedures to ensure that future guests do not encounter these types of concerns. We sincerely hope that you will consider staying with us again so we have the opportunity to provide you with a superior experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Richmond, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Over the years I have stayed here many times while traveling for work and had a nice night. The last two times it definitely seems like it has gone down hill. I do not know if there is new management, but not as good as it used to be. The rooms were not as clean, definitely got that itchy feeling in the bed, and the breakfast was not good either. (Got a hard boiled egg and it was rotten). I hope they get their act together it is a great location. I have since switched to another location down the road.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
We would like to begin by sincerely thanking you for being one of our loyal guests over the years. We are so very sorry to hear that your last two stays with us were disappointing. It is never easy to get less-than-complimentary feedback on a guest's experience at our hotel. However, all feedback is welcomed as it can be used to better train our team and maintain our property’s favorable condition. We would like to invite you to stay with us again on your next visit to Staunton. We would love the opportunity to show you that we still have the same high standards for cleanliness and breakfast service that we have had over the years. We look forward to earning your trust in our hotel and our service and having you as one of our regular guests again!
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

For some reason, I was given a room different from the one I reserved, and this was a problem for me. The person who checked me in, Joni, did all she could to get me the room I reserved but she was not able to, nor could she explain why my the type of room I reserved was given to someone else. However, to her credit and the manager's credit, they provided my room at a significant discount. Mistakes can always be made, but how they are addressed are important. In this case, Joni and the manager did an excellent job dealing with a problem situation.

Room Tip: If trains keep you awake at night, read the other people's tips for a good room location.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Mid_AtlanticMichele, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent experience at our hotel. While it is disheartening to hear that a mistake was made with your room type, we appreciate your comment that while mistakes can be made, it is how they are addressed that is so important. We are very glad to hear that Joni and the manager did an excellent job in taking care of the situation. We do hope that you will visit us again soon.
NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

We were driving to N.C. and broke up our trip coming and going by staying at the Comfort Inn. Both times we were there we were upgraded to a suite and exactly the same room. The bed was extremely comfortable and of course the room large which had a refrigerator with a freezer compartment. a microwave and coffee maker. There was a Jacuzzi in the room.

Everything was very clean except for the carpet in our room and the hallway. I was told by the receptionist that they get a lot of construction workers there hence the difficulty in keeping the carpet clean in the hallway. To me it should be cleaned more frequently. I mentioned the carpet in our room on our first stop and they were grateful for my mentioning it and on my second stop it was the same dirty carpet. I discovered from the housekeeper that the carpet was going to be replaced in the room and that the bed had already been replaced. I was hesitant to use the Jacuzzi ( it was not dirty) and she said after each person's visit it is cleaned by filling it with detergent and bleach. Breakfast was very good with waffles, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, cereal and juice along with toast etc.

The staff couldn't be nicer and I would definitely stay there again. It seems to be a very popular stop for people on a road trip. It is also right off 81 so very convenient.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 5th. floor,which is their highest. I would suggest you request that if you like it...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Mid_AtlanticMichele, Public Relations Manager at Comfort Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review about your visits to our Comfort Inn Staunton. We so appreciate the feedback of our guests - it helps us to know where we are successful and where we have failed to meet the standards we have in place for our hotel. Thank you for your compliments to our staff and cleanliness. As you noted, we are a popular stop over for travelers up and down I-81 and are convenient to the exit. Our guests enjoy the items you have noted - especially the extensive complimentary breakfast with both hot and cold items. Thank you for pointing out your concerns with the carpet - we have revisited our cleaning process with the housekeeping staff and shared your review with them. Please know that we have been replacing carpet and have an annual process in place for such updates to our hotel. We hope that your next visit through we'll be able to meet and beat all expectations!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

As HokieKitty and Suzanne K will attest.... there must be something accident-prone about I-81: we too were delayed about an hour by a 3-vehicle collision, several police cruisers and ambulances, including a medevac.
Meanwhile, ditto to everything Bruce H said (I suspect it's my brother). All the staff were generous with Hellos and Good mornings; Terri and the other desk staff were personable and helpful. It's very welcoming to be called "Hon" by people you've just met. :) Breakfast was great; loved the variety of options. Haven't had biscuits and gravy in years. Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel when I got stuck behind a 40-car pileup on on I-81. This was the only hotel that was in the immediate area on my side of the accident scene.

The staff couldn't have been prepared for the vast number of people who flooded the hotel begging for a room. They did a wonderful job at handling the crowd. They even managed to have enough food for all of us stranded visitors. I really can't commend the staff enough. They all should get great Christmas bonuses! They kept it together even when some nasty customers came through.

The room was comfortable, particularly for such a reasonable rate. It had a frig and a microwave. I had a double-room for $75 a night. It was very spacious and appeared to be newly renovated. The decor was simple and lovely. The room smelled a tad damp as though there had been a leak at some point. I didn't complain, however. I was just so grateful to have a room and such a courteous staff.

Breakfast was simple. There were doughnuts, toast, a waffle maker, yogurt, apples, juice, coffee, instant oatmeal, some cold cerals, and black tea. I believe there was also some bacon. There was something hot off to the side from the other options. I completely forgot to look. They kept it well-stocked despite the fact that they were unexpectedly over-whelmed with people.

The hotel really was a good value for the price.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our Comfort Inn. While the reason for your stay (I-81 traffic accident) was very unfortunate, we appreciate that you found your way to our hotel. We are so glad to hear that our staff did a 'wonderful' and 'courteous' job handling the unexpected crowd. Thank you for commenting on the wide array of hot and cold items available on our complimentary breakfast buffet. We hope that you are able to visit us again - under better circumstances!
Keene, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed 2 nights, and were in and out often. The front desk staff, especially Terri, was extremely friendly, greeting each time and asking about our activities. By the time we left they almost seemed part of the family! Popcorn was awesome! Rooms were comfortable, hotel was quiet and price was right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!