“Goof value, clean and quite.” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #12 of 16 Hotels in Staunton
Georgia
“Goof value, clean and quite.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2011

Stayed here on our way to Pa. Convenient to interstate and hotel was clean and quite. Easy check in and out. Beds were comfortable. We got the two rooms at the back away from the street, so heard no street noise at all. Restaurants close by, Wal-Mart across the street. Got a rate of $40 something a night, using the coupon book that you can get from places along the interstate.No pool. Breakfast was pretty dismal. I would say this was a good value for the money.

Room Tip: Good, clean and quite, no frills hotel.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Radford, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

My fiancé daughter and I stayed at this hotel because it was the only one with rooms available. We now understand why. We checked in around 4 with a lady by the name of Iris who was just downright rude. We went up to the room long enough to drop off our bags off before we went to dinner. At first glance the room looked fine but when we returned home from dinner to find cockroaches in the bathroom and body hair all through the tub and empty toilet paper rolls on the counters we realized we had made a mistake. Once we pulled the sheets on the bed down we found brown stains on the pillows, red stains on the sheets and the bed felt horrible. We stripped the sheets off and slept on towels after complaining to this obnoxious Iris woman at the front desk who hardly paid attention to us. WE WERE THE ONLY PEOPLE IN THE ROOM! I then questioned Iris how 3 charges of 78.22 were only staying one night. All she could say was correction over and over again. She never explained anything as to why the charges were there all she did was deny everything even when I had the bank statement right in front of her face. Because of this I was hit with an overdraft fee to my account. The policy clearly states that no charges will be in place until you check out yet somehow I was charged almost 250 dollars for ONE NIGHT the night we arrived! The following morning we went into the office to check out and met with "Gandhi" the manager who barely spoke English to attempt to resolve the problem. This was a waste of time and we barely understood a word the man said other than "correction" and it was not his fault to call the bank to resolve the problem. I asked for him to put it in writing that we were only to be charged for one night and that the other two charges should not have been on the room. He wrote: "If any problem, Please call and ask Gandhi (manager). I solve problem. Please check first of Bank and then call me". We cut our losses and left because we did not accomplish anything there and were basically told to take it up with the bank. Overall: dirty, bug infested, loud, Rude and obnoxious "Iris" followed by a 250 dollar bill for one night... Needless to say we will never return and suggest you do not waste your money on this place.

On a more positive note, there is a great place to eat just down the road called Mrs Rowes family restaurant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

I stayed two nights at this motel, and was impressed with the quality of the room, the low price and friendliness of the staff. The location was excellent since it was near a Waffle House, Cracker Barrel, and a liquor store. The room was big and the bed was very comfortable. I really liked the pastel colors of the wallpaper, pink/light purple and light blue. I was surprised to see two sinks in the bathroom, which I have haven't seen at any other hotels/motels that I have stayed at. This motel was very quiet, which is a big plus, since I am a very light sleeper, and need it to get a good night's sleep!!! The only down side was there were several bugs in the room (a stink bug, mosquito, and fly), which isn't unusual since the door opened to the outside, causing insects to fly in the room. I did kill the mosquito, but spared the stink bug and fly from their demise!!! I have bugs in my home, so it's not that a big deal!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

We stayed here on the way down to TN, and on the way back. There were no toiletries in the room at all, the vending machines were empty. The heat had one setting that worked. Hot. The breakfast was bare minimum. I was concerned about the cleanliness of the bedding. The bed spread was removed immediately. I will not stay here again, not worth the money.

• Stayed March 2009
NW USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

Stayed here for 2 nights in a king smoking room. Large room with fridge and microwave, iron, in room coffee. Everything worked, altho when I turned the heater on to dry some things there was that horrible burned dust smell so I turned it off. Also, altho I smoke and it was a smoking room it reeked of tobacco, I think they should address that, there are products available. I didn't complain to the staff about it, so they may have taken care of it if I had.

Poor complimentary breakfast, white bread, muffins, juice. Tiny breakfast space in the office.

OK location just off both freeways, short drive to historic downtown, near to the Frontier Culture Museum. There is a large supermarket very nearby.

• Liked — size of room and ammenities
  • Disliked — smoky smell
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2008

Recently Renovated, the bedspreads looked very nice and I loved that they had both interior and exterior corridors... The rate was very reasonable compared to the other hotels in Staunton. There is a Chili's almost next door. The hotel has all the amenities any traveler is looking for. I would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Cleanlieness and Value
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2007

I needed a place to stay around Staunton, VA so I checked all the major travel sites for the best value. I needed a room for Saturday night, so motel prices averaged ~$70.
I narrowed my search to those places w/ wireless internet, and came upon the Econo Lodge East. The Orbitz price was $65, but I went to the motel's website and booked the room for $55 using the internet user's rate. It's always a good idea to do a broad search using travel sites and then try out the hotel's site once you've decided.

I arrived at 2:30 in the morning and the check-in was quick. I asked for a late checkout and was given an hour extra ('till noon) with no problem. I had a King bed room on the second floor, and it was pleasant enough, the furniture and carpet seemed to have been redone within the last couple of years. A few stains on the carpet, but what motel doesn't have that? No musty smell to the room. The room had a fridge and microwave, iron and ironing board. Most impressive was the speed of the wireless connection, at over 4mb/s.

All in all, I recommend this motel if you are passing through Staunton, VA.

• Liked — Value
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Econo Lodge East? Share your experiences!