“Warm southern charm” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 15 hotels in Staunton
San Diego
“Warm southern charm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I am happy I stayed at this hotel. Service was excellent. We had many requests because we were traveling with bikes for a bike tour. They stored our bike boxes for 5 days while we toured and held the boxes for pick-up by UPS after we left. We stayed before and after the bike tour. The staff was friendly and helpful. They always had a smile and went the extra mile. Rooms were clean and comfortable. The front side of the hotel had great views. Breakfast was not bad and they even had some healthy choices which I prefer. I am particular and this met my standards. I was pleasantly surprised. Hotel is a couple of miles from the downtown but it was not a problem. Restaurants and a mall are near-by.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

This hotel is very nice. Very clean, and the room was recently remodelled and it was beautiful. The staff was nice. Cute town, nice location, pretty view out the window. I stayed there with HiltonHHonors points, so it was even nicer being free. But would stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

Staff was very helpful and pleasant. Kids loved the fresh baked cookies and computer in lobby. No pool which was a disappointment for the kids but we weren't really there to swim. Kids and I liked the breakfast bar, but then we like bagels. Husband hated the breakfast but then he is an eggs and bacon sort of guy and swore the eggs were powdered eggs and he says he had enough of that in the Navy. We have friends in the area so we will be coming back to this hotel again. There is a mall and a Red Lobster located across the street from the hotel.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

I was leery of staying here because of the reviews of this Hampton Inn, but I have always had good luck at Hampton Inn and it was free with HHonors points. Upon check-in we were greeted by a very nice woman who turned out to be the assistant GM. She was most helpful. We were booked in a king room but it was the closest to the elevator. This hotel was built in the 80s and they always have loud elevators. We could very clearly hear the elevator from our room so we asked to be moved and were immediately accommodated. We were given another king room, this one the farthest from the elevator (our hotel preferences have that we like to be away from the elevator). The bed was comfy but extremely noisy and squeaky, so much so that both my wife and I woke each other up every time we moved. The TV was great, a flat screen. The wireless Internet connection was good. The sound proofing was horrible. We could hear EVERYTHING in the halls, the other rooms, the elevator (still). I did not get a good night's rest. The bathroom was newly remodeled and quite nice. The breakfast was pretty good. While the staff is great, I don't think I'll stay again because of the noise issues.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

We make a trip up to Staunton every year to see the fall foliage and take in a play at the Blackfriar's. We have stayed at the Hampton Inn for the past (at least) five trips, but this year I do not think we will be paying them a visit.

I called the hotel this morning to ask if the leaves have started to change (because last year we went about a week too early and the leaves were still green), and the receptionist acted as if my inquiry was the strangest thing she had ever heard. All she could manage to say was "well the leaves aren't green anymore". Then silence. I don't know, maybe she thought it was a prank call. I tried to explain to her why I was asking, but she seemed dumb struck. Emphasis on the word "dumb".

Anyway, we always stayed at the Hampton Inn because the service was decent and the rooms are tolerable, but after the treatment I received this morning I will be taking my business to the Stonewall, which I heard looks really nice now that they have renovated. Good ridance to the Hampton Inn.

• Liked — View from the parking lot in the morning... it's the simple things that make me happy...
  • Disliked — Service/Staff
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

On the road for several days, staying mostly in Hampton Inns. Chose this one for distance from starting point in Boston this morning. Lovely little town, beautiful homes. Red Lobster directly across street from hotel, which was good for dinner. Feel we've stayed at this hotel a few years ago - the hotel's appearance on a hill and the nearby Exxon station seem very familiar. The young man at check-in was very helpful. Wifi internet access was up to Hampton Inn standards, very important to us. The room was clean and comfortable. This was our first hotel with a large flat screen TV in the room. Complimentary hot cookies and coffee, as usual. Far enough from the highway so there's no traffic noise. As I write this we haven't had breakfast yet, but the breakfast room looks inviting. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Internet access
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

The hotel is being updated, but our room on the third floor was as nice as any Hampton. It was quiet, newly updated, clean and standard breakfast fare in the morning. Once again, Hampton came through with above the norm in cleanliness and modern room fixtures. Comfy bed with those clean blankets for each new guest.

• Liked — I can count on Hampton Inns to be clean and quiet and comfortable
  • Disliked — Breakfast fare is not particularly healthy, but it is standard for American hotels
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hampton Inn Staunton? Share your experiences!