“Good for the stay, not for the food” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center

You added Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 Fairway Lane & Country Club Rd, I-81, Exit 225, Rt 275W, Staunton, VA 24401 (Formerly Holiday Inn-Golf & Conf Center Staunton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 15 Hotels in Staunton
Arlington, Virginia
“Good for the stay, not for the food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend conference. I'm not a picky guest, but in an effort to make the most honest review I have the following:

The dinner was provided by the event team of the hotel, and consisted of a salad, then chicken, potatoes, and green beans, and a slice of cake. The salad, beans and potatoes were good, but the chicken was too dry and hard to swallow. The cake was good but there wasn't much to it besides white cake with chocolate frosting.

The room was clean enough, though it only had older style wall temperature units and would only spew out burning hot air or freezing a/c, so we could not get the temp right. The beds were hard but had good sheets/comforters/pillows. The hotel is near the highway, and we had a room facing that, so we got traffic noise all night. Not a huge deal for us, but it might be for someone else.

Breakfast was served by the hotel for our conference, and consisted of eggs from a carton, hash browns, and bacon. The eggs were dry and plain, the hash browns were good, but the bacon wasn't crispy at all. We were still hungry after eating.

The conference was held in one room with a projector, which was perfect for what we needed. I don't think the hotel has enough rooms for a large conference though.

Breakfast the next morning was ordered from the little restaurant they have there, and was decently better than the catered breakfast. My eggs were fresh but drenched in butter/oil that I dabbed off with a napkin.

We also had a few drinks after dinner Friday and Saturday night, and found the prices of alcohol are a little steep for the area. I think our bill was about $40 for a few bottled beers and two glasses of house wine.

Room Tip: Choose one not facing the highway and above the first floor (dogs on lower floors).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Brittanie G,

Thank you for leaving a comprehensive review, highlighting not only the bad but also the good. We would like to apologize for the over all issues you had during your stay and any inconvenience you may have experience. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and guest services are superior and strive to be the best hotel around. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Churchville, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here while getting repairs on home. Very comfortable. Great location. Nice rooms. Pool and bar were excellent. The staff was very attentive to our needs, even to the extent of bringing in a larger refrigerator for our stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed in this property nearly a year ago, maybe more. That part was fine.

Recently I discovered that our card was charged again though we have not been back in that area.

This indicates to me that the place kept our credit card number on file. It's hard to see how this could be an "accidental" charge months after our stay. Beware.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear KiryC,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Now the best hotel on the I81 Va corridor ! The recent upgrades were extensive and very well done.The staff places an obvious emphasis on professionalism and hospitality. Hands down the most friendly hotel staff I have ever encountered.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Silver Spring, MD
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I say "speed trap" because you are a captive traveler along this stretch of Hwy 81 with few choices to stop and are probably beat after a long drive. This is not a destination area. The rooms are way overpriced (189/night) and are poorly insulated for sound. Noises come from adjacent rooms and from banging doors heard up and down the hall. And for this price there is not even a free continental breakfast or a coffee machine in the room. The only positives are it is newly renovated and clean. Keep driving.

Room Tip: Bargain the price down.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Blacksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I've always enjoyed my stays here, but the new upgrades make it better than ever. The restaurant is fresh and new looking, and has a new menu to go with the new look. Absolutely the friendliest staff of any hotel I frequent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Fairfield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

After reading some of the reviews regarding the progress of the renovations at this hotel, I was concerned. I was bringing a group of 20 people to the Staunton area and had stayed at the hotel when it was a Holiday Inn. The staff had been wonderful in the past and the hotel was never in poor condition. So I was surprised to read reviews indicating it was now "Hotel Impossible". I contacted the group sales manager regarding the renovations and she assured me they were moving along quite well. She even gave me weekly updates as to its progress. I decided to go there despite some of the reviews I read. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be an understatement! The staff is fantastic - they kept the bar and restaurant open for us because we were running late. The rooms we had were beautifully done. The portico is complete as are the parking lot and the pool. The only thing remaining to be done appears to be the "common room" where the bar will be located once it is complete. Honestly, I can't say enough about this hotel and its staff. We stayed at another Holiday Inn with comparable amenities the night before and it was not nearly as nice as this hotel. I am sure it will be back under the Holiday Inn banner in no time. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center? Share your experiences!