“"Hotel Open"” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152 Fairway Lane & Country Club Rd, I-81, Exit 225, Rt 275W, Staunton, VA 24401 (Formerly Holiday Inn-Golf & Conf Center Staunton)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #8 of 15 hotels in Staunton
Mount Airy, North Carolina
“"Hotel Open"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

What/Where is the name of this hotel? Oh, there wasn't one. The only sign we saw was "Hotel Open," which was when we knew we were in trouble. My bf and I booked this hotel after planning a trip to the Blackfriar's Playhouse in Staunton. We were so impressed by the $75/night rate, that we decided to book 2 days and spend our day before the play simply lounging by the pool (or pools--one indoor and the other out-- as boasted online). We were so excited to save money AND get away from home for a few days. Boy! We had no idea what we were in for!

When we arrived at the Hotel Disarray, we were told that the hotel was once a Holiday Inn and would be again. Until then, it was just a mess. The front lobby was closed and that area was often covered in seedy lookin' construction workers (I have to wonder where they found these men) who stared us up and down as we got out and drove around. We quickly found out that there was NO complimentary breakfast, which seems to come standard at most hotels today.

The room was not terrible, but the A/C seemed to be set on some type of energy saving setting and we spent both night wallering in bed trying to make the room cooler...with little success. I have NEVER been so hot in a hotel room in my life!

The room had a nice 40 inch (or so) TV, however, it was in front of a mirror, which seemed very strange as if they had not considered where to place such a big TV before purchasing it. The TV also did not come with a HD box, so the picture was grainy. End of the world? No, of course not, but it seemed odd. The list of TV channels was simply on a piece of printer paper.

We enjoyed the free WiFi, however, it did not work the morning of our departure.

Housekeeping was another issue. I could NOT believe how loud these ladies were in the morning! I assume they are used to an empty hotel, so they did not consider how obnoxious their yelling was for people trying to sleep.

Overall, I didn't find the hotel to be very clean either.

On the very small plus side, the bed was quite comfortable, but the pillows were very small. The man working at the front desk was nice and seeing how disappointed we were, gave us two free tickets to eat breakfast in their restaurant one morning.

I would not recommend anyone staying in this hotel until they finish construction. If you simply want a place to sleep and play golf, you might be in luck.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

121 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Months after booking two rooms at this Holiday Inn for my daughter's graduation from college (at $170 per night each room), we were met with little to be cheerful about. First of all, the I-81 sign said "HOTEL OPEN" instead of Holiday Inn, and as soon as we drove up we noticed that the usual registration entrance was roped off and obviously under construction.
Since we had my elderly parents and Dad's bulky oxygen machine, this lack of a proper entrance was a concern-and rightfully so! While unloading over a raised curb not designed for unloading, I tripped on the curb and landed on my ribs and left hand. Still waiting to see if cracked rib from that.
The room was nice and reminded me of staying there before years ago. But housekeeping never brought requested towels. The restaurant that I remembered is closed (never told us about that since reservation booked, nor about construction). The overpriced breakfast buffet was-for the most part-lukewarm at best.
Overall, the bed was very comfortable, but we should have been told that it was no longer Holiday Inn, and the price should have been considerably lower even for graduation weekend.

Room Tip: Be aware of the disarray that this usually nice hotel (when it was Holiday Inn) is now in. Rooms nev...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Virginia Beach, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

For the price of over 165.00/night this was terrible. No one brought towels though requested on day 2. No one cleaned up spilled coffee near an elevator after being reported. It was still there when we left over 24hrs later. The construction created a huge obstale for loading and unloading with no ramp for handicapped to use. The breakfast was overpriced for cold food that was worse quality than most included continental breakfasts provide. The prices were clearly jacked higher than reason for JMU Graduation. No excuse though for such bad service and quality. I am shocked this is a Holiday Inn!!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Midlothian, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012

Stayed here recently during a work trip. Staff was very friendly. No room service or lunch on premises, so that was disappointing. Construction was going on, but it didn't affect the ambiance. Internet was super fast. There were what appeared to be coffee stains on one of my body towels and rust in my trash can...I didn't report it because I didn't feel that it was something to bother the desk with, as I was rarely in the room. Have stayed at many Holiday Inns, Marriott's and Hiltons for work, so I hold hotels to very high standards. Other than the three minor issues, this was a great deal for the price I paid.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
NOVA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

While this hotel is undergoing renovations, the staff do everything they can to make your stay comfortable. We stayed there for a military academy reunion so they were pretty busy but took care of everyone well. Keeping things going smoothly in a hotel requires everyone work together. To do it well with a hotel under renovation is even tougher but this place has great people. And it is a pet friendly hotel! Nice grounds to walk your pup and they provide those special bags you need for your pooch!

Room Tip: request one of the few rooms with a balcony! wish I had known they had them!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Salem
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

We fled another hotel after a horrible night and found this Holiday Inn for less and the accommodations were far superior. The front desk clerk was extremely friendly and since we had a hold on our card from the previous hotel that hadn't cleared we opted to pay in cash which was no problem. (This is an issue at many places in the area). After reading some of the reviews, I gather that a lot of people stayed during the height of the renovation phase. We saw only minimal evidence of the renovation. Most had been completed on our floor (4th). The newly renovated rooms were nicely decorated and clean. The beds were very comfy and each bed had four pillows. The heating and air unit was new and worked well. The bathrooms were refurbished. The bathroom is on the smaller side but plenty of space for one to maneuver. There were two movie channels and plenty of other cable channels to choose from on the 42" flat screen tv. A chair with an ottoman is by the window and made relaxing with my book so much nicer than trying to sit up in the bed. We were on the I-81 side of the hotel and I never heard the traffic. Even standing right at the window you could not hear any traffic. A cup-at-a-time coffemaker is on the vanity. There was a new steam iron and ironing board. The only item I really missed was a refrigerator but it wasn't an absolute necessity and, afterall, I had asked for a basic double so no complaints here. Mulligans pub is just off the lobby so having an after dinner drink and not having to worry about who's driving was nice. The bartender was very good. They also have a very nice indoor pool. The ONLY negative I have tell is the housekeeper started trying to enter the room at 7:30AM and check-out wasn't until noon. There wasn't a "Do Not Disturb" sign so we had to tell them on 6 occasions that we were not ready to leave and we left at 11:00AM! With our own do not disturb sign in hand--we will stay there again! Very nice place.

Room Tip: One side is I-81, looking past the interstate you have beautiful rolling hill views. There are farm...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Marietta, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

i was surprised to find a hoilday inn at an exit with nothing else...huge parking lot with plenty of truck parking..people was very freindly...price was great $70.00...room was big..bed was super comfy..top floor has been recently remodeled,new carpet in room still had old furnishings,paint work wasnt all that good...much construction going on outside lots of (stuff ) piled around....remodel job was not a professional job but could have been worse...bathroom was clean but room itself could have been better..went to lounge ordered the special,pork loin,homemade mashed potatoes and brocolli..it was spectacular and cost $6.99 before 10% discount...real deal on the food...beer was $4.00 no deal on that...all in all the food was great the price was great and the bed was great...but it wasnt as nice as I expected for a Holiday Inn but for the price and great people I would stay there again...

Room Tip: top floor nice and quiet...great food and good company in teh lounge..
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Staunton Conference Center? Share your experiences!