“A very good hotel with some problems” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Staunton
Earth
“A very good hotel with some problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

The Pros first:
Our room was comfortable, with a comfortable bed.
The shower was comfortable.
The room was clean and quiet.
Breakfast was good.

Now the problems:

The bathroom was small and there was not enough space on the counter around the sink. Every guest has a toiletry case that he needs to put next to the sink. There must be enough room for 2 toiletry cases, otherwise where is the second person supposed to put his/her toiletry case?

There was a bed lamp only on one side of the bed, why? How is the second person supposed to read in bed or to turn on the light at dark?

There was only a very small variety of TV channels.

The bathroom's door was squeaky, so every time one of us went to bathroom at night - the other one waked up. Why? It doesn't take more than 2 minutes to lubricate a door's axes.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Joan R, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
In reviewing your comments we will be addressing those issues as we are in the process of updating our guest rooms. The size of the bathroom will not change but it will be totally renovated. We do offer 26 TV channes and are in the process of increasing the options with suggestions from our guests.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Newnan, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This is a limited frills motel that is clean and comfortable. They offer a nice continental breakfast that is attentively stocked by a friendly hotel employee. The bathroom is small but clean. No complaints. Quiet and conveniently located close to the interstate.

Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your comments. It is always good to hear any employee made an inpression on our guest. Please do keep us in mind on furture visits to this area.
San Diego, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in late September. The hotel was clean, as was the room, and it was not expensive. I didn't appreciate the smokers just outside the front entry and having to walk through their smoke. The room was crowded with 2 beds. The only seating was on the beds. The room lighting was done very well. The bathroom was tiny with the toilet and shower in one area, with a pocket door closure. There was no hook to hang a towel or clothing on. The sink and were in an adjacent area and vanity had about 8 inches of counter on each side of the sink, but part of that was taken up with a coffee maker. There was almost no place to put toiletry items, much less a face towel or cloth. The breakfast area had very limited seating, considering the number of guest rooms. There were a variety of food choices, but many were prepackaged and needed to be heated in the microwave. This hotel is close to the Interstate highway, but not close to the center of town or restaurants.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Joan R, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It sounds like you were looking for a far larger room and bath area than Sleep Inns provide. I do agree about smokers and would like no smoking on the entire prioperty. You mentioned a hook in the bathroom there is one on the left wall as you step out of the shower.
The breakfast area is small but the food items are those required by Choice hotels and we actually have far more than is required.
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The staff were exceedingly friendly and the room was clean however the a/c unit needs to be cleaned or replaced. We put the fan on without the heat or A/C because the temperature (in October) was reasonably perfect however the room filled with a stale stench that made me sick.

A nice touch was leaving a small rubber ducky for us to keep as a souvenir. Except for the fan, it was a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for you comments. The issue with the AC having an odor. Our AC's are cleaned but when you initally turn on the AC with heat for the first time there is an odor which never happens again once the unit stays on heat,
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

I only stayed here one night but the staff was very welcoming and the room was neat and clean. The only issue I had was the thin walls. I could hear someone getting ice at 4:30am and I could easily hear noise from the adjacent room at 5:00am. If the walls were a little thicker, I would have only positive things to say about the hotel. Since I was awake so early because of my neighbors, I checked out before I could sample the continental breakfast so I can't comment on it.

Room Tip: I requested, and was given, a room in a quiet location. However, the ice machine was located nearby...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your comments. I do understand about the noise factor. Buildings are not built these days with the concrete walls and totally noise proof. I was happy all other areas made you stay more enjoyable
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Styed there on Saturday night October 19, 2013 and was disappointed.
Staines on the chair at the desk in our room, rust on the base of the shower door, only two baggage carts to handle a large number of people checking out in the morning, and worst of all, the false advertisement of the continental breakfast. Eggs, only hard boiled, grits, if you warm the water and pour the grits into the water from a package, sausage biscuite, a frozen egg, cheese bagle, Only 5 tables in a very cramped what you would call a dinning room? Oh, I forgot. I asked for a 7:30 am wake up call,
DID NOT GET THE CALL. That is why I bring my own alarm clock.
For the price, it is not worth the stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Joan R, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
I am very sorry you found so many things unsatisfactory. A stain on the desk chair and any rust is unacceptable. However you comments about the continental breakfast were a little disturbing, especially accusing us of false advertising. A continental breakfast consists of coffee, juice and danish therfore anything else served is a plus. We are not a restaurant so some of you comments were unfound. Since I do not know who I am speaking to I cannot check our records in regards to your wake up call. Again I am sorry you did not find you stay more pleasant and will address the issues with the proper department.
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We were traveling through from NY to the smoky mountains and choose this for the easy on and off the highway and from reviews from trip advisor. There was a large bus of people who stayed the same night we did so breakfast was pretty hectic with so many people. The lady doing the breakfast did a great job of keeping the food stocked and still remained smiling. I was impressed we did not have to wait for anything even though we would have understood

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Joan R, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We pride ourselves on offering our guest the best experience possible. I'm sure it was a little hectic in the breakfast room with a bus. I am happy to hear our staff was efficiently handling the situation and appreciate your understanding.
I hope you will keep us in mind on future visits to Va and hopfully without a bus tour.

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!