“Making another reservation after I'm done with this review.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Staunton
Chesapeake, Virginia
“Making another reservation after I'm done with this review.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

When I was searching for a place to stay, let me tell you it was overwhelming. Some travelers said one thing others said the opposite. The reason I chose this hotel is because when you read the reviews...you will also see where the hotel management is responding back. Talk about impressed...I have never ever seen that after any review from any website. My reviews, as you will see, are straight to the point, honest, and very matter of fact. I came up here to visit my son for his birthday because he is in school at Woodrow Wilson Rehabilitative Center. To everyone who has a family member going to WWRC...this is the place to be! Very close to the school like 2-3 miles. I hope you get to check in with Joyce...she is awesome, professional, very accommodating, and when you arrive she welcomes you warmly. She made me feel as I was a family member of hers arriving for a get together. Best thing was that my son Jacob (18) felt comfortable and not nervous because he was in a new environment. You see Jacob has Autism; he is very high functioning, but gets anxious in new surroundings. THANK YOU JOYCE for being warmhearted, non-judgmental, showing everyone with respect no matter that walks in the door. She so deserves a promotion and a pay raise! As long as she is still helping us, she so deserves it! The hotel overall was very clean, check in area, elevator, and the hallways. And a huge plus is that I didn't have to hear anyone in the room next to me talk to another, listen to their TV instead of mine etc. The rooms are a decent size and our bathroom didn't have a tub. But then I thought to myself, do I really want to sit down in a hotel tub? The shower was so cool inside because it is round inside. Safe with bars and clean and if you like to shower with your significant other there is plenty of room inside, now the area where you do your paperwork; that is a small space, but hopefully you won't be there long. OK don't just see a restaurant and say "Hey, let's eat here." You need to do your research in this department. Stay in the Waynesboro, Staunton area...do not try looking in Charlotte because I found the drive on the Interstate is right in the mountains and you are going both up and down hill. It can be scary for those of you who are not used to driving with truck drivers while you are on a mountain. Driving tip let them have the right lane...if they need to slow down like right then and there, they have what's called a runaway truck ramp and they have to have access to it at all times. Too much braking will cause their brakes to get hot, and then catch on fire. You will see some people using hazard lights while driving. This is a signal to other drivers that they are not going the posted speed limit. This is perfectly legal so please no need to get upset. In VA if you are using your windshield wipers, no matter what speed, you must turn your headlights on.******** Alright....now notes for the management...you need to change the tables in the breakfast area to round ones instead of the square ones you have now. We can barely make it from our table to the breakfast bar without bumping into another guest, another table, or heaven forbid the breakfast lady (BL) who really cleans up the breakfast bar. I really didn't care for her attitude towards other guests and myself. Another guest had spilled some batter on the counter and she then asked for a paper towel so she could get it up...man...the BL couldn't get to that spill fast enough and I heard her say and I quote "No, I will get it up, this way it's done right, and it doesn't (at that time the batter the guest spilled smeared when the (BL) went to wipe it up) see look, just like I said it smears everywhere and makes a big mess...I know how to clean it." I couldn't believe my eyes or ears. Just then, what she had said to me when I first got there clicked. I went to make a Belgium waffle, got the cup, poured the batter, and went to turn the waffle maker...well at least that is what would normally happen. (BL) version. "You use that cup for the batter, and fill it to the line." I said "Yes ma'am, I know how to use the waffle maker, I've done it many times." BL "I don't like it when people spill the batter everywhere or they put too much in, it makes a big mess...do you know how to work that? You turn it around. Hey, did you turn it enough? The timer isn't going...turn it back...try again...this thing is always acting up sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Turn it again....there now the timer is working...maybe you just didn't do it the right way." First of all, I already mentioned that I knew how to work the waffle maker. Second, what she doesn't know is that I have worked at the Omni Hotel in Room Service and Banquet Services...I really do know how to work a waffle iron. Three, I only have 1 Mom and 1 Dad, who sadly are not on this Earth anymore, but they raised 6 kids together and we are just fine. AND, I am a Mom of 3 kids who are 21, 20 and 19. And I did a pretty good job too. I prefer not to have someone hovering over me and constantly questioning me about how to make a waffle. She is an awesome cleaner, I will say that. Things were spotless. Could you possibly just talk with her and mention that we are people, we make messes sometimes...just take a deep breath and wait until we are done before you come over to clean. And possibly could she not stand in the dining area? I was uncomfortable eating, afraid to drop anything. I'd finally just had enough so I quit eating and left...hungry. Finally, I need to let you all know straight up that when guests come to stay at a hotel...we "expect" to have a comfy bed...this includes the mattress...making sure it doesn't smell, hurt your back etc. You PASS that, sheets making sure they are not stained up and they are soft and comfy and that they don't pull out from the bottom or are not even tucked in at the bottom You PASS, pillows now...I myself loved the pillows because I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud and my neck and back didn't hurt in the morning. But I have heard that some guests are not as pleased with the pillows because they are smaller than regular pillows. Solution...guests bring your own pillows...Management have bigger pillows on hand for guests who prefer them. You PASS (in my book.) Now...the covers...Management, please consider getting rid of the "bed spreads" you have as soon as possible! The heater in the room...oh yeah by the way...please put instructions on how to work the heater/ac in the guest book for us. No instructions anywhere. Ok...the heater in the room is very hard to understand or figure out. So you just can't let it run, you get too hot. So it was up and down for me the night I stayed...this could have been avoided if I had more covers. One thin and I mean thin blanket and the bed spread is NOT going to cover it. Oh, hey cover it...funny! LOL. You need to have something plushy and warm. When the A/C is on in the summer, it will keep you from getting a chill at night too. Guests can simply take it off the bed if they get too hot. Trust me when I say this will be the biggest investment for your hotel. So, that should hopefully be it. If management would like to contact me...this should help you GPTKY0622

Room Tip: Make sure to ask about the view from the window...if you are really concerned about it. We were on a...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank snoopyfan6200
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thanks for your review of the Sleep Inn Staunton. I am pleased you found most of the aspects of your stay enjoyable.
I do read and respond to all TripAdvisor comments because what better way to learn what we are doing right or wrong than to hear it from our guests.
I will take your comments and talk with the hotel General Manager about any changes we can implement. I am sorry for the manner in which the breakfast lady (BL) spoke to you. I am sure she did not mean it in a negative way. She was just trying to make sure spillage didn't occur and your waffle was cooked to perfection and not under cooked or burned. I will speak with her about better ways to communicate this to her guests.
Thank you again for staying with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice place to stop right off the highway. We had a pet friendly room and there was a slight smell of pet. The beds were comfortable but the numerous pillows were very soft! Staff was friendly and breakfast was free.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Stephanie C
garyDLIvp, at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Sleep Inn Staunton.
I am pleased your stay was enjoyable, We look forward to serving you again in the future. Please continue to pass along your comments as you travel for others to read and for hotel management to review. The comments of our guests are an important measure of our service and offerings.
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stop here regularly on our way north and back and we really like this hotel. It's right next to I-81 and there's a Cracker Barrel and a Texas-style steakhouse within 1/4 mile of the hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable and their breakfast is complimentary and excellent; definitely one of the better free breakfasts available.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lisanne D
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us regularly as you travel I-81 North and South. The Sleep Inn is conveniently located at exit #222 and offers several restaurants nearby. I am pleased you found your stay to be comfortable, your room clean, and the breakfast to be appetizing.
We look forward to having you visit our hotel in the future.
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

After a long day of travel this motel provided a very restful, pleasant night. Our room was tidy, very fresh, had a small fridge and a very comfortable king bed with lots of pillows. The lobby staff was cheerful and there was a 24-hour coffee station (including decaf) which in the morning provided coffee for an unusually fine breakfast buffet. In addition to pastries, bagels, toast, make-your-own waffles and sausage biscuits (all rather heavy for me) there were hard-boiled eggs, cereals, yogurt, fresh fruit and fruit salad. This was the most comfortable, well-provisioned, convenient motel we have encountered in many years of travel, and at a bargain rate. A+ in my book.

Room Tip: All pet rooms are on the first floor, so taking your pet in is easy. We were in room 114 which had a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KCounts
garyDLIvp, VP of Operations at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Thank you for your comments.
I am pleased you found your room to be clean and comfortable and you enjoyed the lobby coffee bar and morning breakfast. Our location is a very easy on-off from I-81 and I-64 with several restaurants nearby.
We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Peterborough
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stopped here for one night on our way from Ontario to Myrtle Beach. This hotel was convenient, clean and great value for the money. The bed was comfortable. The free breakfast was more than enough to start off our day. Staff was friendly and helpful. Would not hesitate to recommend this to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen M
Joan R, Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. Our staff strives to offer the best customer service possible and we do know how important a clean room is to our guests as well as a good breakfast. Please remember us on your next trip to VA.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

My girlfriend and I stopped here on our way down to South Carolina. We chose this place because of the great reviews. We were NOT pleased. It was not very clean and there were mice in the room. We immediately left and demanded a refund which the man at the counter was happy to oblige.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Dougwein
Joan R, General Manager at Sleep Inn, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
I am very sorry that a mouse was in your room at the time you checked in. The hotel is not infested. it is a rare occurance during the early winter and not a common problem. As of today we we have resolved the problem. We do not want our guests in any way inconvenienced, especially by what you experienced.
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This hotel is lovely; the beds are super comfortable; the staff goes above and beyond! Continental breakfast was ample and the breakfast clerk was there to help and be friendly. Check-in was warm and friendly and the clerk used my name repeatedly. She even called me to make certain my room was fine. Her service was beyond my expectations and the whole experience was a wonderful oasis off Interstate 81!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
I am very happy you found your stay at our Sleep inn so pleasant We strive to offer the best customer service possible.. Also our front desk staff does and excellent job of treating our guests with the upmost professionalism.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Staunton
BEST WESTERN Staunton Inn
Comfort Inn
#9 of 16 in Staunton
4.0 of 5 stars 232 reviews
Stonewall Jackson Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Sleep Inn? Share your experiences!