“A comfy, cozy and relaxing stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Shenandoah Woods

Shenandoah Woods
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanley
Shenandoah Woods
You added Shenandoah Woods to your Saves list
181 Log Cabin Drive, Stanley, VA 22851   |
Portsmouth, Virginia
“A comfy, cozy and relaxing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I rented a cabin for my 10th wedding anniversary, and I couldn't have found a better place to stay. The cabin we rented, the Fern Bank Cabin, was clean, comfortable and cozy. The owners were extremely friendly, courteous and very responsive to any questions I had (even on a Sunday, I got a swift response to a question I had). The trek up to the cabin is a bit treacherous - I recommend an all-wheel drive vehicle if you have one, but my Scion 2-wheel drive worked well in good weather, although a heavy rain or snow would have easily complicated matters. All in all, it was a memorable weekend in a very quite and secluded spot. I would definitely recommend a stay here, and my wife and I will definitely be returning in the future. My many thanks to Jason and the Cave Family.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Just spent a wonderful weekend at Fern Bank cabin in Luray. The cabin was just what we were looking for: clean, comfortable, plenty of amenities and very secluded. The cabin is surrounded by trees, with no other properties visible from the site, but still provides a gorgeous view of the mountains and valley below from the yard. We especially appreciated enjoying this view from the hot tub on the screened in porch. The house is tastefully decorated and includes a full kitchen, washer and dryer, gas fireplace, jacuzzi tub, gas grill, fire pit and satellite tv. The wifi worked well, mostly. We were able to stream videos but it did cut out occasionally, which is understandable considering you're on top of a mountain! The kitchen included all the supplies you might need to make a meal, including condiments and some spices. The furniture and beds were very comfortable and linens were included. We enjoyed exploring the caverns and town of Luray, about a 20 minute drive from the property. Jason was very prompt at responding to emails and included all the information we might need. He was even kind enough to mail us some items we left behind! Overall we had a great stay and would recommend the cabin to anyone looking for a comfortable and relaxing getaway with a great view!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

A group of friends and I stayed in the Somerset cabin for 4 nights for a birthday getaway. We had a FABULOUS time, and in fact are planning to return again this spring! The cabin is beautiful, spacious, and provides so many amazing amenities. The downstairs theatre was our favorite part (since we are a bunch of movie-loving nerds), but we also enjoyed the large hot tub, fully-equipped kitchen, the abundance of beds and bathrooms, and of course the fire pit in the backyard. (There's also a kids' swingset & jungle gym out back, which would be perfect for a group with children.)

The location is fantastic; there are a couple nice hiking trails near the cabin, and the views of Shenandoah Valley are beautiful. It's a great place to go if you want to be surrounded by nature. One morning we saw several deer casually strolling down the cabin driveway. :) There's also a pond with a picnic shelter (open to all Shenandoah Woods guests) that is an easy 10-minute walk from the cabin. We also visited Luray Caverns, which are only a half-hour drive away!

The owner was super accommodating, friendly and wonderful, and made sure we had everything we needed. It was one of the most relaxing and fun vacations I've had in a while, and I can't wait to go back!

FYI, I also stayed at the both the Fern Bank and Brumback cabins several years ago with family, and would happily recommend either of those if you are traveling with a smaller group; those cabins were clean, cozy, and inviting as well. Fern Bank in particular is a great location if you want to "get away from it all", since it's higher up on the mountain and more removed from the other cabins.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Our family stayed in the beautiful Somerset cabin. The accommodations included a hot tub, amazing theater, a pool table, a fully stocked kitchen and five huge bedrooms, each with its' own private bath. The cabin has an amazing sound system and beautiful mountain views. Our family had a wondeful time, making a fire in the fire pit and roasting marshmellows, relaxing in the hot tub, shooting pool and watching movies in the theater seats! We will be back. Great experience!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the "Brumback House" for a two days. Our stay at Brumback House was simply amazing, the owner was very nice and provided excellent hospitality. The cabin is a two bedroom fully equipped with everything. My husband and I fell in love with the fireplace so much we didn't go upstairs to sleep, we used the pull out sofa instead. It's such a nice and quiet place to be. Not too far from the cabin is a recreational area that has a pond which made the entire stay amazing. We got to experienced a winter wonderland so beautiful and bright. We participated in outdoor activities a lot like mountain climbing and hiking up and sliding down the mountain since it's located in the backyard. We loved the stay so much that we extended our stay for another night. I love that place so much that we plan on going back to celebrate new years if they aren't booked. Recommend this to all the die hard travelers out there like ourselves! This place was so incredibly amazing got my friends calling them to book a family vacation as well! Don't waste your time on searching else where.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Nassau, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I hate to have to write this negative review as I have visited the Shenandoah Woods, Kalmia cabin in the past and had nothing but positive things to say to friends/family. Last week I had reservations to stay at the Kalmia cabin for 5 nights and was appalled by the condition of the cabin. We arrived in the evening to find the cabin in what we initially thought was clean condition, but as we started looking around we saw some very alarming signs of a bug infestation and an unclean cabin. As we went up to the loft we saw at least 100+ stink bugs, some dead, some alive. This was a shock !!! Either way they were not cleaned up and it appeared there were plenty of others still alive. It seemed strange being the owner was just there cleaning and didn't bother to clean up any of the dead bugs upstairs. Not only that, the bed was not even made upstairs which means the sheets, etc. were not washed and were apparently left over from the previous guests. Looking downstairs we started seeing more and more stink bugs crawling around, some on the curtains, on the bed comforter, on the couch, pretty much everywhere. The porch was also infested. As I mentioned the bed upstairs in the loft was not made as it looked like someone had slept there at some point. It is apparent the owner did not bother to go up there and make the bed or clean up the 100's of stink bugs found up there. I then had to assume the bed sheets downstairs were also not washed after the last guests and sure enough that seemed to be the case as we found underwear tangled in the sheets as we stripped the bed to wash them. We also found leftover dirty towels on the couch and in the laundry. When I contacted the owner of the issues and the problems encountered he did not attempt to rectify them. Bottom line, all of the issues, dead bugs left behind (as well as live ones), the dirty towels on the couch, unmade bed and other beds where the sheets were not even washed after the last guests and of course the leftover underwear is beyond unacceptable. I'm not sure what happened to this place as I stayed there just about a year before without issue and had a great time and it was clean. I now understand there is a stink bug problem in this area, but that doesn't excuse the condition and pure disregard this cabin was left in for us to deal with. It is unprofessional and inconsiderate. After the owner arrived to give my money back we packed up everything and left that night and now had to find a new place to stay, basically ruining the 5 days of vacation/relaxation we had planned after driving 375 miles to get there. Very disappointed in the entire experience and sorry to say we can never stay with Shenandoah Woods again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
reading
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

my husband and i stayed at shenadoah woods in the itsy bitsy cabin for a long weekend. Shenandoah woods consists of separate cabins of varying sizes that are for rent. They have a small pond and a pavilion. They have a canoe for guests and one can also fish in the pond. Our cabin was very small but had everything you needed and was very clean. The bathroom, shower and the cabin in general felt new and did not show any wear and tear. It included clean white towels and linens. Our particular cabin had a futon which became a full bed but the mattress was a little thin and a thicker one would be a more comfortable sleep. We also would have preferred glass plates instead of plastic just for sanitary issues. the cabins are positioned that you do not see other cabins and we appreciated the setting deep in the woods. After looking at the other options in Luray we were very glad we stayed here. Most of the options in Luray are over priced for less then adequate accommodations or are sitting directly on 211. We had initially called the hillside motel but they never bothered to return our call. We noted that the hillside parking lot was empty and the place looked liked it needed some tlc so unsure if it is even in operation. If we return to the area we would stay here again. Felt the cabin was priced right for what it offered and it was well maintained

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Shenandoah Woods? Share your experiences!