“fabulous get-away!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of William Cox Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stanardsville
William Cox Inn
You added William Cox Inn to your Saves list
455 Touchstone Lane, Stanardsville, VA 22973   |
Richmond, Virginia
“fabulous get-away!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

I can't imagine a better place to go for a romantic interlude or to just plain get-away for a few days. The inn is beautifully appointed and each room is different but all are attractive for differernt reasons. I have stayed in almost all of them and they all have something to recommend them--whether a great view or historical interest.
The inn has been built on the bones of the original farm house, but there is nothing old and moldy. It is one of the most charming places I have ever visited.
If you are lucky enough to eat at the inn, be aware that the innkeeper is an amazing cook. The food is so fresh that you can go out back and see the chickens and greenhouses which provide a lot of it. Don't miss the blue-ribbon bisquits--they actually won the blue ribbon at the fair,To eat them is to understant "melt in your mouth".
But don't worry if it isn't a night when the innkeepers are cooking, there are charming restaurants nearby, or go to nearby Charlottesville if you want something more.
I've been to this inn in all seasons, and I can't really tell you which is best. Fall and Spring allow you to take long walks in the woods or just enjoy the cottage garden around the house. I've been all over the world and this is still one of my favorite places to go.

Room Tip: All rooms are nice, but the ones over the new section and facing the mountain have awesome views. Y...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Crofton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

It's hard to find any place with consistent 5-star reviews, but the William Cox Inn deserves them all and more! Peaceful setting, beautifully appointed rooms, welcoming and gracious hosts -- and breakfasts that break the mold!! We had a very quick visit last weekend, but we will definitely be back again to read more issues of Lapham's Quarterly on the porch, take in the mountain view, walk the 28 acres, and talk more with Janet and Tom! Thank you both for creating such a gem!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

My best friend and I are moms with full-time jobs, husbands, kids, and households to run. We just returned from a lovely weekend at the William Cox Inn where we stayed in the cabin. I cannot say enough about how wonderful the experience was. The house and grounds are spectacular and the cabin is quaint and private...just perfect. Janet and Tom are the most gracious hosts. They even tracked down toiletries for me when I learned I had left all of mine at home! Janet's cooking is extraordinary. Her pumpkin scones, award winning biscuits, and pancakes were my favorites. In addition, the B&B was attentive to every detail, down to the placement of coat hooks, directions to nearby hiking, and historic lanterns. I liked the dining experience, too -- guests eat in one of two dining rooms at private tables. This led to discussion when desired, but privacy when that was our preference. We added on a picnic basket (amazing value!) and a couples massage which was so nice to have at the B&B. I can't rave enough about what a gem this is. Anyone who goes won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Not that this B&B needs another raving review, but I just have to add my two cents. I've stayed at the William Cox Inn twice with a friend, and hope to be back this fall with my boyfriend. It is quite possible the best B&B you will ever stay in. There's a sense of serentity about the place that draws you in and makes it very hard to leave. Beyond the more intangible pluses, the food is spectacular, the rooms are beautiful, the beds are comfortable and the hosts are extremely welcoming.

I obviously can't say enough good things about this place!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012 via mobile

I stayed on a weekend trip to attend a wedding in the area and was amazed at the charm and beauty of this inn. The breakfast was to die for, especially the asparagus and goat cheese frittata made with farm-fresh eggs from the inn 's chickens. Lovely hosts and staff. Want to return again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

We were so thankful to have found this delightful and secluded B&B! Our 3 days in the White Oak room were so peaceful and special. They pay so much attention to details and cleanliness, and have exceptional food. Don't think we could have found better, fresher, or healthier food anywhere! The breakfasts were wonderful and different each of our 3 days. We also carried a picnic meal they made for us one day and it was over the top good. The chocolates at night were very good, too!
Janet and Tom were great hosts, easy to visit with, but not intruding. Sarah seems to be definitely a big part of their success, too. The historic inn is very quaint and lovely, with a beautiful view of the mountains. Easy to get to area attractions and restaurants, although we didn't need to eat again until evening each day! We would definitely recommend the William Cox Inn and will try to visit again!

Room Tip: All rooms seemed wonderful
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
williamsburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2012

Our daughter had to attend a leadership conference at JMU, and my husband and I needed a place to stay for the weekend. We've stayed at Virginia B&Bs before, most of which could have been featured on a show entitled, "Hoarders, Country Bed and Breakfast Style." I loathe B&Bs that are riddled with knick knacks, quilts, and blue ducks. Anyway, the William Cox appeared modern, newer, etc, and that is why we chose it.

Let me say this, the website does not come close to portraying the extent of how amazing this place is. It is not only the house itself (which was built to be a B&B), but the over-the-top service by its owners. From the gourmet, cooked-from-the-garden food, to the top-of-the-line amenities in each room and bathroom, to the spectacular view from the porch, to the endless activities provided to people of all ages, this B&B is an example for every other inn owner to learn from.

We WILL stay here again, probably many more times, because there is absolutely no reason to try another inn in the area. This place has accomplished what most B&B owners only dream of.

PS I thought I had slept in soft sheets before. I hadn't. Not until we slept here.

Room Tip: If you like history, choose the Sumac room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to William Cox Inn? Share your experiences!