“Clean, friendly staff” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   146 Main St, Stanardsville, VA 22973   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stanardsville
“Clean, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2012

I stayed at the Lafayette on a business trip, passing through town. The room was impeccably clean and had a lot of character, great hardwood floors. Breakfast in the morning was fantastic and the owner was very gracious and pleasant. I would recommend, and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Ashburn, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

This B&B restaurant/hotel was outstanding in every way. A warm cozy room with a fireplace and a top notch restaurant with great food prepared personally by the Inn Keeper is a fine memory. Breakfast the following morning was made to order. Lots of history and no ghosts. We'll go again.

Room Tip: a wonderful sitting area and fireplace in our room upstairs.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2009

What a wonderful evening we spent in the Tyler suite at the Lafayette Inn. It was huge with two romantic fireplaces, candles, and chocolates and champagne. The decor was exquisite, the bed was a downy field. The bathroom was stocked with everything you might need. And everything was spotless.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2009

My mother and I stayed in the Wilson Room at the Lafayette Inn in April 2009. We originally wanted to book a hotel in Charlottesville, but every place was sold out so we moved up north to Stanardsville. I must say, there isn't much nearby, and it's about 20-30 mins. from Charlottesville, but the drive is fairly easy.

The hosts are very friendly and welcoming. When I phoned to say we'd be late, they were very kind in arranging for us to get the key to our room. As it turns out, we did arrive before they'd left for the evening, and they were very warm in welcoming us.

The Wilson room is upstairs and entered through a private side door. It is perfectly quaint, well decorated, and has a bedroom and small sitting area next to a private bath. We found it very comfortable and cozy. They also provided us with free chocolates and champagne, which my mom and I sipped and nibbled on while watching the 11pm news!

My only complaint is that there were a LOT of hairs on the bathroom floor that clearly didn't belong to either my mom or me. This skeeved me out quite a bit, and I actually got a towel out and cleaned up the floor because it went beyond one or two stray hairs. It was quite a bit of foreign hair. Yuck!!!

Also, be warned that the bed in the Wilson room is VERY creaky and makes a lot of noise even just by rolling over on your side. Of course, for my mom and me, it didn't really matter, but I can imagine it might be a bit noisy if you were on a romantic weekend!

The breakfast in the morning was delightful. The service was prompt and very courteous and friendly.

Overall, it was a nice stay... they just need to be sure the bathrooms are cleaned a bit better.

• Stayed April 2009
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2008

A truly delightful stay. Alan and Kaye Pyles were extremely helpful, genuine folk who know how to run a successful business, even out in the middle of a bucolic town like Standardsville. The name suggests its mediocrity. The cabin we stayed in was part of a converted Confederate arsenal and was brilliantly kept up to really make my girlfriend and I feel as if we were staying in the nineteenth century - though the tiny television made it so we remained grounded to modern technology.

The one flaw with the Lafayette is the awkward check-in area that is directly in front of a swinging kitchen door. We had to wait about ten minutes for someone to help us because the owners and operators were busy assisting the patrons of the adjacent restaurant. Still, it was a lovely stay, and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to spend a night or two in the Charlottesville region. Keep in mind, it is at least 30 minutes from that town, but definitely worth the drive.

• Liked — The price, the food, the owners, the rustic feel
  • Disliked — The awkward check-in, the creepy ghost stories left behind by prior patrons
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fredericksburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2008

My wife and I recently enjoyed wonderful night away from the kids and jobs at the Lafayette Inn. We stayed in the Dicey Cottage and appreciated the privacy. The king size bed was very comfortable and the bedroom was smartly (not overly) furnished. It felt like going back in time, albeit with the benefit of sheets with a much higher threat count. The living room downstairs was very comfortable and let me “just check the scores” of the week’s games on the TV. As other reviews mentioned the cottage is just off the main street of Standardsville, but the light traffic didn’t bother us at all.

We thoroughly enjoyed the Chef’s Tasting menu. The food and the wine pairings were truly outstanding. Our only “complaint” was there was too much food! I had expected little plates with a bite or two. Instead, each offering tended to be half the size of a generous restaurant portion. The country egg rolls and lamb chops were particularly delicious. We decided to skip the final entree, steaks no less, to save room for dessert. Hey, I can grill steaks at home, but neither of us knows how to make bread pudding that would hold a candle to theirs. In hindsight, we should have shared a single portion of a few of the many courses.

My wife got up and ran some of her dinner off the next morning, enjoying a soak in whirlpool after. At breakfast we resumed our gluttony. We had our choice of omelets, waffles, or French toast. We both loved the spinach omelet, but the best part about breakfast was the stone ground grits.

We live a little over an hour away from Lafayette Inn and look forward to returning.

• Liked — The food and wine
  • Disliked — Gas fireplaces had not been serviced for the season yet and thus could not be used.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

The location is fantastic. The food was very good. And the Inn itself is quite charming. But there are some things that should be improved. What we saw of the Inn was beautiful. However, there really is no reception area, which led to a slightly awkward check-in. When we arrived we were asked if we were there for dinner. When we said ‘no, we were checking in’, we were then hurriedly shown to Dicey’s Cottage which is separate from the Inn by about 50 feet (and was exactly what I wanted). For check-out, I simply stood in the hallway until someone came by.

A couple of key highlights for the stay was, one. a small bottle of chilled Moet was next to our bed. That was a wonderful and unexpected touch. Two, the gentleman who took my reservation graciously helped me arrange flowers to be in the room when we arrived. I get the sense that the Inn staff is very good, but we hardly saw anyone.

I did read the previous reviewer’s comments about the cottage not being well cleaned or maintained. Almost all of that appears to have been addressed. The cottage is quaint and neatly decorated. It has a living room, a huge bedroom with king bed and a fireplace, a small kitchenette and a nice bathroom with a jacuzzi tub for two and standup shower. The only real outstanding maintenance items were that several burnt out bulbs (at some point they should address the front walk and refresh the deck, but it is fine for now). A remote control for the TV would have been nice to have.

Yes, Dicey’s Cottage, as is the Inn itself, is on “the main drag” as the previous review pointed out, but despite a couple of trucks going by in the morning it was fine for us. The CD of classical music is still in the player :)

We had dinner and breakfast at the Inn. Dinner was great and the server was a friendly woman who provided the most (and best) staff interaction we had in our brief stay. Breakfast the following morning was a selection of French toast, waffles, three different omelets, or sausage, biscuits and gravy. My wife and I both had the French toast and it was excellent.

Safety wise in Dicey’s Cottage, there was one smoke detector in the upstairs hallway. I would have preferred to see two more: one in the bedroom; and, one in the downstairs living room.

Conservation. There were several notices for saving water and reusing towels. I did not see one compact fluorescent bulb in the Inn or in Dicey’s Cottage.

Conclusion: even at $195 for the night, it was worth the visit. Despite the odd item or two, I would recommend it to a friend. If we are in the area again, we would likely go back for dinner, but try another B&B.

• Liked — Dicey's cottage being separate from the main Inn. The food.
  • Disliked — Inconsidtent staff experience. Burnt out bulbs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Lafayette Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!