“Can a Hilton have this Many Hidden Defects?” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
1,000 Bonus Points!
Ranked #5 of 12 hotels in Springfield
Troy, Illinois
“Can a Hilton have this Many Hidden Defects?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Once you find your way to this Springfield, VA Hilton (which can be a challenge in itself from D.C.), one would think that you can relax and enjoy. I was amazed at the difficulty that I had, though, in finding a room with working heat and that was otherwise free of problems upon my evening arrival. Five hours and three rooms later, Maintenance finally located a room for me with working heat -- at 11:00 p.m.!. Other observations during these room tours revealed dents punched in the walls, molding loose from the ceiling, defective bathroom light switch, mis-set programmable thermostat (in a guest room?!), and a defective coffee maker. It was obvious that this hotel had issues -- many not initially visible. I couldn't believe I was in a Hilton -- until I got the bill of course!

Needless to say, no business work got done that first evening. It was even difficult contacting management during my two evening stay to inquire about remedies, as they only arrived at after 10 a.m. each day. Not very user-friendly or comfortable to the business traveler...

Room Tip: Consider other options in the area; or arrive as early as possible to ensure that hopefully better r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
RoomsDivisionManager, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you Robert S. for sharing your experience. I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. Please be assured that your concerns were passed on to me and are being reviewed by my engineers.
I have also called the telephone on file to followup with you. At your earliest convenience feel free to contact me.

Thank you again for bringing these issues to our attention as it is only through guest feedback that we can know where improvements can made.

254 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I'm a Hilton Gold member, so I'm used to being treated well at Hilton properties, but this hotel was especially pleasant. My room was very close to the elevator, which concerned me, but I don't recall hearing a sound from it at all during the two nights I stayed. This is definitely going to be my first choice in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
RoomsDivisionManager, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your 2 day visit! Thank you for choosing the Hilton Springfield and we look forward to having you stay with us again soon!
Stafford, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have chosen the Springfield, VA Hilton for several years due to one person....Renata Gjorgjievska. She and her staff make every person in our group always feel welcome. The service and attention to detail by her make every event the perfect event!!!!

The rooms are exceptionally clean and inviting. Don't start me on the pillows.........want to take them home...........!!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room is a great room!!!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RoomsDivisionManager, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Outstanding! Thank you! Developing relationships and making memories is what it is all about for us!

Thank You again!

See you all next year!
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We booked two connecting rooms, far in advance, so our teen age son could have a room. We arrived and was told that we have two rooms on different floors and that there was nothing that they could do. My wife kept complaining and manager said "ok, we have a room that we can give you next to your room." My wife said what was this all about, why would the other desk person lie to us this whole time." No, response from the manager. When we arrived in our son's room it reeked of cigarette smoke. We asked to change rooms and they did but that room was even worst. I pulled the air conditioner filters out and rinsed them. I then spent an hour with the door open and the air conditioner on full in an effort to air the room out to no avail. When we asked to change rooms again we were told they had nothing else available and that they would send someone up to deal with the smell. A service person arrived and stated that he could smell the smoke from out in the hallway. He proceeded to spray the entire room with febreze which made the situation worst. Now we had a combination of cigarette smoke and febreze. Since our son has asthma we let him take our room with the one king bed and he took his room with the two twin beds. The desk staff was rude. When they first switched us we were at the desk and thanked them, they just looked at us. No you're welcome, no nothing and that was the theme of our stay. When things go wrong it helps to have a friendly staff (we travel all over the world for work and pleasure). We suggested to the manager that she inspect the room herself because we are not the complaining type. She just ignored our suggestion, saying "it's so busy, it's crazy this weekend." How does that statement help us? My son loves to swim so we went to check out the pool. The sun was shinning through the windows on the water and you could see a film on top of it and the filter did not appear to be running, so that was that for the pool idea. "Something has gone very wrong with the Hilton Hotel chain. The rooms were expensive and we thought you get what you pay for. We were there for an event and some of the people stayed at the Holiday Inn and had no complaints. I guess the Hilton is working it's way down and the Holiday in is working it's way up. As we left, my wife and I agreed that in the future we should avoid the Hilton chain at all costs.

Room Tip: If you are a non smoker, inspect room before you pay.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RoomsDivisionManager, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
I sincerely apologize for the poor experience you had with us. I am thoroughly embarrassed that my team did not do more to ensure you had nothing less than a wonderful stay.

If you would, please contact me at your earliest convenience to discuss a few more details.

I assure you this is an isolated incident and it will be investigated to ensure like issues are not repeated.

Thank You for your feedback as it is through guest comments that we are able to identify areas of improvement.
Queenstown, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a very nice hotel, the rooms are nice and great for all I need when travelling but I am a light sleeper. I was given a room across from the elevator and the dinging woke me up from time to time and I could hear the traffic outside. Also, the week that I stayed the electric went out one night and that was another night of restless sleep.
Not all is bad there is a large TV in the room, the wifi is great and it is nice having Houlihans so close.

Room Tip: not close to the elevator
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RoomsDivisionManager, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Springfield, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback. Your comment will be shared with our staff.

We look forward to exceeding your expectations on a future visit!
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

What you see is not at all what you get.
From the outside of the hotel it obvious it is an older building, however once you go inside you will be pleasantly surprised.
Modern decor, great staff and accommodations.
Outside of the fact that there was no microwave anywhere for guest use I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Outstanding! It is a pleasure to provide service that is rewarded by repeat guest like you. We value your feedback. By the time you come back to visit us, we will have a microwave in our public area available to all guest!

Thank you so much for choosing Hilton Springfield!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

Got a great price on this room. It was very comfortable, location was pretty good (short drive to metro). Staff was very very nice here. Its an older building, but the interior has been nicely redone. Would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! Glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to have you visit again and again!

Been to Hilton Springfield? Share your experiences!