“Once, probably not again” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Springfield
IRVINE
“Once, probably not again”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

I have stayed at many times at other hotels in the immediate area of this property, and prefer the two Marriotts, with the Hilton in a distant second. This is an older property and it shows. It doesn't give a warm and fuzzy feeling like newer hotels or more recently renovated properties. It was decent, but nothing to brag about.

The Metro is near but not really close enough to walk, so bring cash to pay for parking and the Metro. I always beat my Metro-dedicated colleagues when I drove into DC from Springfield... but then I had to pay $18/day to park at the Ronald Reagan complex. When they car-pooled with me, we could get in/out even quicker using the HOV lanes.

There are plenty of nearby eateries, including across I-95 at the local mall. Very close to the hotel is a Bob Evans, a Vietnamese restaurant, and a Chinese buffet patronized mostly by Chinese... all three restaurants have consistently good quality. Over by the mall is a small, but delightful Thai restaurant.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2006

We stayed at the HI Express from 09/06-09/11/06. This hotel was not actually my first choice but we were traveling from California for a wedding and a block of rooms had been reserved for people visiting from out of town. To be honest, the hotel exceeded our expectations. I have not had the best of experiences at Holiday Inns, but this on was very clean and the staff was very friendly and helpfull. The head of sales actually helped me with our reservations personally and the manager on duty when we checked in Wednesday afternoon was very kind, patient and helpfull.

Likes: Room was clean, all linens extremely clean, towels fluffy, the pillows were a dream (you could chose between soft and firm and there were at least 8 around the room), the bed was extremely comfortable, the carpet was clean, no bad smells, iron and full size board in room. All electronics in room worked fine. Breakfast provided was much more than expected, 3 different juices, milk, cereal, oatmeal, toast, muffins, cinnamon rolls, waffles, fruit, hard boiled eggs and yogurt. It really helped us save on expenses and was greatly appritiated.

The drive to DC from Springfield is farely short and easy once you get the hang of the freeway system. We had a rental, so I have no opinion on the Metro access, but we found it easy to get to and from the hotel from DC.

Check out was a breeze. I liked that they slipped a breakdown of charges under the door the day we checked out and all I had to do was hand in our room cards. Very, very easy checkout.

Dislikes: Just a few thing, the ice machine was broken on our floor, the mirror in the bathroom had apparently broken away from its brackets and slid down the wall onto the sink, so that it was pushing the whole sink slightly away from the wall. And for some reason, we only had one trash can in the main room. None in the bathroom. Not a huge inconvinience, but weird.

Over all, we thouroughly enjoyed our stay. In fact, we plan on returning to the DC area next year and we will probably stay here again due to our experience. Thanks HI Express for making our first stay in DC enjoyable and comfortable.

• Liked — How clean the room was
  • Disliked — Some minor cosmetic issues with room
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
wa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2006

I was looking for a suburbian hotel that had walking access to the Metro. I called twice and asked about this. I was assured the Metro was a 10 min. walk across the parking lot. Their website even suggests that it is close. Well, it is actually a 10 min. drive through town and then you have to pay to park at the Metro lot, which requires that you buy a special card, etc. In the end, I ended up driving to DC and dealing with parking there.

Other than that, the room was good. The internet worked well. The breakfast was much better than expected.

• Stayed May 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Dayton, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2006

Stayed here with my folks on Aug 4th & 5th, 2006. Got lost on the drive in from Gettysburg - called the hotel and the check in clerk talked us to the hotel. Clean and comfortable room. Best hotel pillows I have EVER seen. Fat & Fluffy! We were on the 9th floor. Interesting view of the highway system. Breakfast ok, nothing fancy, attendants very friendly. Both elevators worked fine. Shuttle to Metro very timely. My 76 year old mother was using a walker with a seat. The driver was very careful to fold it up for her and produce a step stool to make it easer for her to climb in and out of the van. All in all, friendly and about what I expected when I booked.

The only negative thing for our stay was the Metro. Service is being done on the tracks week-ends from now until mid Oct. We planned to get off at Arlington which should have been a straight shot but now you have to get off at the King St. station and catch a different train to get there. Same thing with the return. Getting on at King St on the way back was a stampede. Trains kept coming in and more and more people were getting off and waiting for the train to Springfield- Franconia. It was a zoo, so keep that in mind and build in extra travel time for the Metro to your schedule.

• Liked — Easy access to Metro, restaraunts nearby
  • Disliked — air conditioner blower was a little noisy
  • Tips/Secrets — Be aware of the service being done on the Metro line here through Mid Oct.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Malverne, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

Holiday Inn Express, Springfield VA

This is a 10 story hotel in the "mixing bowl" area of Springfield where I-95 intersects with the Beltway and I-395, Backlick & Franconia Roads. It's near the Springfield Mall and there are also many small restuarants in the area. The small pool looked clean and had lounge chairs around it.Free wireless internet, free local phone calls and an expanded continental breakfasat including cereals, fruits, hard boiled eggs, pastries, bagels etc. was included in the price We booked three nights in late July at an internet rate of $125 per night including breakfast.

Check-in time is supposed to be 3 p.m. and when we arrived a little past 2 p.m. we were told our room wouldn't be ready for at least an hour and a half as the hotel was filled the night before and the housekeeping staff was behind. We came back around 5 p.m. and checked-in immediately. There was a table with coffees, soft drinks, freshly baked cookies and candy bars in the lobby and guests were urged to help themselves. Our room had 2 double beds, a large TV, desk, 2 chairs and a lamp. The bathroom was clean, had a hair dryer and was stocked with nice towels, shampoo, conditioner and soap. One of the double beds was sagged in the middle as was uncomfortable but the other bed was fine. The advertised wireless internet wasn't working and a call to the front desk brought a sympathetic but bewildered response that it was working elsewhere in the building. A second call resulted in a phone number to call tech support but the number given by the clerk was wrong. Finally, we found the correct number down in the lobby and called tech support who checked and confirmed that the access on our floor wasn't working. The support person tried but was unable to correct the problem so he told us to tell hotel maintenance to disconnect and then reconnect that access point. Needless to say, when we tried to convey that to the front desk clerk, she didn't have a clue what we were saying. Wireless access in the lobby wasn't working either.

Breakfast the next morning was fine. The hotel was crowded with some large groups and one of the two elevators was out of service causing quite a wait in the early morning when many guests were coming down for breakfast or checking out. Another guest commented that it hadn't been in service the day before either. Since the wireless internet still wasn't working and since we decided we probably weren't going to use the pool, we checked out and went to the nearby Red Roof Inn on Springfield Blvd where we got a similar room minus the free wireless internet, breakfast, pool, hairdryer for almost $50 less per night.

We were disappointed in the problems encountered at the Holiday Inn Express. Though the staff was pleasant and well-intentioned, they were unable to offer solutions. All in all, pluses were the afternoon snacks, always available coffee, nice breakfast and generally clean room. The minuses were the sagging bed, inoperative wireless access, and one inoperative elevator. With those issues, even the internet price we got didn't compensate.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

Loved the new Holiday Inn bedding. The much touted shower was just ok. Not a lot of water pressure. The staff could not have been nicer. The HI is in a great location and has a shuttle to the metro. There are a lot of inexpensive, good ethnic restaurants within walking distance. Wireless and a computer in the lobby.

Stayed June 2006
Locust Grove, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

I chose to stay at this hotel because of all the good reviews I readh here on Tripadvisor. I was attending an intensive 8 day training class, which meant I was in class 12 hours/day, and studying at night. I needed a room that didn't have many disturbances, could be made VERY dark, and was in a location convenient to my training class.

It was everything I expected. The staff were VERY friendly and courteous. While I could hear some of the noise from I-95, my A/C unit, while not loud, mostly cancelled it out. The bed was comfortable, albeit a tad bit noisy. I found the overall feel of the room to be very warm and homely.

The biggest plus for me during my stay was the wireless internet access. I couldn't find anything anywhere about internet access for this hotel, other than the internet connected computer that was mentioned in earlier reveiws. So I called them, asked, and was pleased to find they had wireless networking set up. That gave me the opportunity to go out to the 'net and get study guides that I needed for my class.

There were many families staying at the hotel. Many were visiting DC and used the shuttle to Metro. I also saw families every day in the lobby watching the television and playing games wth each other in the breakfast area.

Speaking of breakfast, I only used it the first day. Once I got to my training class I found they had a very nice spread, so I ate breakfast at class every day. Holiday Inn's Continental breakfast was very nice. Donuts, pastry, croissants, cereal, juices, and coffee. Simple, but nice.

I'd stay here again. Overall it was very enjoyable. If you're coming to visit us in DC, keep Holiday Inn Express in Springfield in mind.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield? Share your experiences!