Holiday Inn Express, Springfield VA
This is a 10 story hotel in the "mixing bowl" area of Springfield where I-95 intersects with the Beltway and I-395, Backlick & Franconia Roads. It's near the Springfield Mall and there are also many small restuarants in the area. The small pool looked clean and had lounge chairs around it.Free wireless internet, free local phone calls and an expanded continental breakfasat including cereals, fruits, hard boiled eggs, pastries, bagels etc. was included in the price We booked three nights in late July at an internet rate of $125 per night including breakfast.
Check-in time is supposed to be 3 p.m. and when we arrived a little past 2 p.m. we were told our room wouldn't be ready for at least an hour and a half as the hotel was filled the night before and the housekeeping staff was behind. We came back around 5 p.m. and checked-in immediately. There was a table with coffees, soft drinks, freshly baked cookies and candy bars in the lobby and guests were urged to help themselves. Our room had 2 double beds, a large TV, desk, 2 chairs and a lamp. The bathroom was clean, had a hair dryer and was stocked with nice towels, shampoo, conditioner and soap. One of the double beds was sagged in the middle as was uncomfortable but the other bed was fine. The advertised wireless internet wasn't working and a call to the front desk brought a sympathetic but bewildered response that it was working elsewhere in the building. A second call resulted in a phone number to call tech support but the number given by the clerk was wrong. Finally, we found the correct number down in the lobby and called tech support who checked and confirmed that the access on our floor wasn't working. The support person tried but was unable to correct the problem so he told us to tell hotel maintenance to disconnect and then reconnect that access point. Needless to say, when we tried to convey that to the front desk clerk, she didn't have a clue what we were saying. Wireless access in the lobby wasn't working either.
Breakfast the next morning was fine. The hotel was crowded with some large groups and one of the two elevators was out of service causing quite a wait in the early morning when many guests were coming down for breakfast or checking out. Another guest commented that it hadn't been in service the day before either. Since the wireless internet still wasn't working and since we decided we probably weren't going to use the pool, we checked out and went to the nearby Red Roof Inn on Springfield Blvd where we got a similar room minus the free wireless internet, breakfast, pool, hairdryer for almost $50 less per night.
We were disappointed in the problems encountered at the Holiday Inn Express. Though the staff was pleasant and well-intentioned, they were unable to offer solutions. All in all, pluses were the afternoon snacks, always available coffee, nice breakfast and generally clean room. The minuses were the sagging bed, inoperative wireless access, and one inoperative elevator. With those issues, even the internet price we got didn't compensate.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield is a 10 story hotel with newly renovated guest rooms ideally located 13 miles south of Washington, DC at the junction of I-95, I-395, and I-495 Capital Beltway. Our hotel is 11 miles south of Reagan National Airport (DCA) and with our free shuttle servicing the Franconia-Springfield Metro Station the metropolitan area awaits. Local attractions and businesses include: the White House, Smithsonian, Arlington National Cemetery, Mount Vernon, Amtrak Auto Train, Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, SAIC, General Motors, the Pentagon, Fort Belvoir, and Quantico. Shoppers will enjoy Springfield Mall, Tysons Corner Mall, and Potomac Mills.The Springfield Holiday Inn Express features 194 guest rooms with newly upgraded decor, complimentary high-speed Internet access (wireless throughout hotel, wired in select rooms), complimentary breakfast, free parking, and outdoor pool. Allow the professional sales staff at Holiday Inn Express in Springfield to assist you with your next banquet or social function; we can accommodate up to 200 people. Stay Smart with us and enjoy all of the convenience of Washington, without all of the hassle! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, IHG, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, BookIt.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Washington Dc Sw-Springfield Hotel Springfield
- Holiday Inn Express Springfield
- Holiday Inn Springfield
- Springfield Holiday Inn