“Holiday Inn Express I95/495 better than expected” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Holiday Inn Express I95/495 better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2006

Loved the new Holiday Inn bedding. The much touted shower was just ok. Not a lot of water pressure. The staff could not have been nicer. The HI is in a great location and has a shuttle to the metro. There are a lot of inexpensive, good ethnic restaurants within walking distance. Wireless and a computer in the lobby.

Stayed June 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Locust Grove, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2006

I chose to stay at this hotel because of all the good reviews I readh here on Tripadvisor. I was attending an intensive 8 day training class, which meant I was in class 12 hours/day, and studying at night. I needed a room that didn't have many disturbances, could be made VERY dark, and was in a location convenient to my training class.

It was everything I expected. The staff were VERY friendly and courteous. While I could hear some of the noise from I-95, my A/C unit, while not loud, mostly cancelled it out. The bed was comfortable, albeit a tad bit noisy. I found the overall feel of the room to be very warm and homely.

The biggest plus for me during my stay was the wireless internet access. I couldn't find anything anywhere about internet access for this hotel, other than the internet connected computer that was mentioned in earlier reveiws. So I called them, asked, and was pleased to find they had wireless networking set up. That gave me the opportunity to go out to the 'net and get study guides that I needed for my class.

There were many families staying at the hotel. Many were visiting DC and used the shuttle to Metro. I also saw families every day in the lobby watching the television and playing games wth each other in the breakfast area.

Speaking of breakfast, I only used it the first day. Once I got to my training class I found they had a very nice spread, so I ate breakfast at class every day. Holiday Inn's Continental breakfast was very nice. Donuts, pastry, croissants, cereal, juices, and coffee. Simple, but nice.

I'd stay here again. Overall it was very enjoyable. If you're coming to visit us in DC, keep Holiday Inn Express in Springfield in mind.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

I stayed with a friend for 3 nights at the end of March and we LOVED the hotel. Ok, so the soft furnishings in the rooms are a bit dated but that seemed to add to the charm of the place. The curtains were blackout and the beds comfortable which is all that matters!
Our room was huge and we had a big picture window overlooking all the highways that intertwined outside. The view was strangely relaxing and thanks to proper double glazing, (see my review of The Americana Inn in New York for April 2006) the traffic noise wasn't an issue.
The staff were all very friendly and were very helpful with any questions we had.
The choice for breakfast was great and there was always loads. We didn't have lunch at all during our 3 day visit as we just ate A LOT at breakfast instead!
We were also very impressed with all the thoughtful extras:
The free shuttle to and from the Metro at Franconia is a genius idea. All you have to do is 'phone the Hotel when you get off the train and someone comes and picks you up. You can also book it to get to the Metro by asking at reception. We never had to wait longer than 10 minutes for the shuttle (It's about 10 minutes by car to the Hotel so too far to walk really). The shuttle stops at 9.30pm each evening and if you miss the deadline there is a taxi rank across the street in the commuter's car park.
There is a computer set up in the reception area with free internet access. This was really useful for downloading photos from my camera each day and there wasn't a problem with plugging in memory sticks and cameras or saving photos to the desktop which you can't do at most internet cafes!
There is an information sheet put in the lifts each evening with the next day's weather forecast.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to tourists as it's so relaxing being away from the city each night. The Metro takes about half an hour into Washington from Franconia and a lot of it runs above ground so you can see a bit of the surrounding area. I am planning on staying at this hotel again next time I visit DC.

• Stayed March 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2005

I would give this hotel a B+/A-. We had to reserve a 2 double smoking room because no nonsmoking rooms were available. I called the hotel direct and told them that we MUST have a room w/ 2 double beds and that if a 2 double nonsmoking became available to put us down for that room. I was told that there would be no problem. When we arrive, they gave away our 2 double smoking room and gave us a king w/ sofa bedroom. We were told that no other rooms would be available for the night. However, on the second day after talking to 2 staff members we were able to get a 2 double nonsmoking. We were there for 4 nights, so we had the room we wanted for 3 nights. Housekeeping did get the room ready very quickly for us however. In the second room we had a lamp with no lightbulb and the television was getting horrible reception. We went to the desk about the bulb and was told, "We can't get that for your right now, sorry." I was not impressed. We told the desk about the problems the following morning and they were taken care of, which made us very happy. They have a wonderful continental breakfast, be sure to take advantage of it. They have a fair sized pool which is nice for families after a long day but it was very cold. Most staff was very warm and friendly. The hotel does show it's age, but for the most parl it is very nice. Stay here if you want to save money on your vacation. Take advantage of the free shuttle to the metro and take that to downtown DC. The bottom line: For the price you pay this place is wonderful. Give it a go, you will love it! Just tell the desk right away if you have any problems. Have Fun!
PS: They have excellent showers!

• Stayed June 2005
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Holiday Inn Express is my hotel of choice when I'm on the road for business or pleasure because of their consistency at giving a high quality experience without the added nickel and diming of a "full service" hotel chain. This location was converted from a "real" Holiday Inn into an express which provides for some positives and some negatives.

The ground floor of this hotel has no guest rooms, giving them lots of flexible space to work with. The lobby area has a large seating area separate from the continental breakfast room (which is where the bar probably was when this was a Holiday Inn.) Around the corner from the elevators (multiple elevators - a positive compared to most HI Expresses,) there is an Avis car rental desk, and past that a divideable ballroom. A previous reviewer noted that the staff did a great job at breakfast despite the presence of multiple teenagers. My visit was chaperoning a group of teenagers, and they actually set up our breakfast separately (and plentifully) in one of the ballrooms, allowing the non-group guests to have a quiet, efficient breakfast.

The rooms are amply sized with well-kept furnishings. Since there are no ground floor rooms, you quickly escape the noise of the freeway. Although our room faced I-95, it was very quiet. The air conditioner was also quiet. There is a full lineup of cable television channels, and the wireless Internet access worked like a dream.

Re-reading my review so far, I haven't really justified my four-dot rating instead of ranking it "excellent." The negatives that we experienced were small, but still annoying enough to keep me from going the whole "excellent" rating. The lobby area was being re-arranged. I didn't interact with the staff much at all, so I can't vouch for their helpfulness, and maybe that contributes to my lackluster impression. There was also just something subjective about the property's age and layout that just felt tired.

When choosing a hotel in the DC area, don't feel like you have to avoid the Holiday Inn Express - I-95-S Of I-495. Even though it's not a "destination hotel," it's a quality property that gives you a good night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2005
Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2005

This hotel offers shuttle service to the metro station and close by malls. The rooms are clean and spacious. The whole hotel appearance was clean and updated.

I had problems with the vending machines when I complained to the front desk, they had no problem refunding me and offering me a care package to boot!

I loved this place! - it also offered continental breakfast and the staff were very knowledgable about the area and other restaurants.

I also stayed at one of these chains in N.Y. on Jamaica Ave. they definitely have it right when it comes to customer service.

Thanks for a wonderful stay

Gina Bremar

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2005

We had a real good experience here. The check in was alittle slow, but the people at the desk were friendly. The rooms had a plain decore, but were large, roomy and clean. They all had a couch and desk, which came in handy. the towels were plush. Everything worked. The continental breakfast was larger than most I have had. They had a shuttle to the train metro train station. Everything was good. Would definately go back.

We spent too much time walking through the monuments, but loved it.

• Stayed April 2005

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield? Share your experiences!