“A solid conversion of a solid older property” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Springfield
Nashville, Tennessee
“A solid conversion of a solid older property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2005

Holiday Inn Express is my hotel of choice when I'm on the road for business or pleasure because of their consistency at giving a high quality experience without the added nickel and diming of a "full service" hotel chain. This location was converted from a "real" Holiday Inn into an express which provides for some positives and some negatives.

The ground floor of this hotel has no guest rooms, giving them lots of flexible space to work with. The lobby area has a large seating area separate from the continental breakfast room (which is where the bar probably was when this was a Holiday Inn.) Around the corner from the elevators (multiple elevators - a positive compared to most HI Expresses,) there is an Avis car rental desk, and past that a divideable ballroom. A previous reviewer noted that the staff did a great job at breakfast despite the presence of multiple teenagers. My visit was chaperoning a group of teenagers, and they actually set up our breakfast separately (and plentifully) in one of the ballrooms, allowing the non-group guests to have a quiet, efficient breakfast.

The rooms are amply sized with well-kept furnishings. Since there are no ground floor rooms, you quickly escape the noise of the freeway. Although our room faced I-95, it was very quiet. The air conditioner was also quiet. There is a full lineup of cable television channels, and the wireless Internet access worked like a dream.

Re-reading my review so far, I haven't really justified my four-dot rating instead of ranking it "excellent." The negatives that we experienced were small, but still annoying enough to keep me from going the whole "excellent" rating. The lobby area was being re-arranged. I didn't interact with the staff much at all, so I can't vouch for their helpfulness, and maybe that contributes to my lackluster impression. There was also just something subjective about the property's age and layout that just felt tired.

When choosing a hotel in the DC area, don't feel like you have to avoid the Holiday Inn Express - I-95-S Of I-495. Even though it's not a "destination hotel," it's a quality property that gives you a good night's sleep.

• Stayed June 2005

126 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Bermuda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2005

This hotel offers shuttle service to the metro station and close by malls. The rooms are clean and spacious. The whole hotel appearance was clean and updated.

I had problems with the vending machines when I complained to the front desk, they had no problem refunding me and offering me a care package to boot!

I loved this place! - it also offered continental breakfast and the staff were very knowledgable about the area and other restaurants.

I also stayed at one of these chains in N.Y. on Jamaica Ave. they definitely have it right when it comes to customer service.

Thanks for a wonderful stay

Gina Bremar

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2005

We had a real good experience here. The check in was alittle slow, but the people at the desk were friendly. The rooms had a plain decore, but were large, roomy and clean. They all had a couch and desk, which came in handy. the towels were plush. Everything worked. The continental breakfast was larger than most I have had. They had a shuttle to the train metro train station. Everything was good. Would definately go back.

We spent too much time walking through the monuments, but loved it.

• Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2003

Priceline bidding went awry, and I ended up with the Holiday Inn Express in Springfield. I had passed this place many times when it was still a bonafide Holiday Inn. I expected the worst, but was pleasantly surprised! I arrived at midnight to a cheerful, friendly, and helpful Ericka at the front desk. She efficiently checked me in to a nonsmoking room with 2 double beds. The facility itself is old; the hallways to the rooms were dark and a bit dingy (on the second floor). The room was clean and orderly, decorated as one would expect. The bed was clean and comfortable. The pillows, a little thin. The deluxe continental breakfast room was an unexpected pleasure; the staff kept it well-stocked even with a lobby jammed with high schoolers! The 100% guarantee is a nice feature; there was nothing I could complain about!
If you're in the Springfield area, or looking for a decent place within 9 miles of Washington, then this would be the place. All in all, not a bad stay!

• Stayed November 2003, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield? Share your experiences!