“Pleasantly Surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Orlando, Florida
“Pleasantly Surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

After driving 14 hours from Florida to Virginia non stop I was done. I had planned on staying with family but it just didn't pan out so I booked a room just for one night. It was extremely close to my family and very easy to get to as well. It seemed like the hotel was just recently renovated and still somewhat under construction but not overly noticeable. The room was great, very clean and modern. For some silly reason I checked out not realizing it would probably just be easier to stay another two nights. We I decided to check back in they gave me a similar room on a different floor. Not even 10 minutes of being in the room and there were children running up and down the hall making all kind of noise, banging on doors. So I went downstairs and the gentleman at the front desk apologized and said he forgot there was a large family taking most of the rooms on that floor and he would move me immediately. I got my original room back, and I have to say it was one of the most enjoyable stays I have ever had in a hotel recently. The staff was helpful and very polite. I would have rated this hotel a little higher but the breakfast was pretty terrible. Granted it's complimentary but what good is that if it's not exactly edible? Anytime I go back I definitely plan on staying here again. The price was also great, I booked by calling the hotel and got a cheaper price than what was online through different hotel sites.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Tanja H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback for your most recent stay. We are delighted that we met your expectation regarding our newly guest room accommodations. Our renovations of our guest rooms have been completed with the exception of one floor. While many of our guests enjoy our full hot breakfast buffet that is being served according to IHG Holiday Inn Express standards, we sincerely apologize that it was not suitable for your own needs. It is our greatest desire to leave you with a better impression during your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
New Rochelle, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed from Wednesday to Sunday, visiting friends in nearby Springfield. Got our reservations through Priceline and we were very pleased with our stay. Checking in and out was very fast (7pm and 10:30am). Our room faced I95 but it was reasonably quiet. The room was well furnished and included a (quiet) fridge. We did miss an in-room safebox.

The adjacent shopping center was convenient for last-minute shopping and there are many nearby restaurants for dine-in or take out - a bonus for us since we were watching the World Cup matches in our room.

Breakfast was adequate for the room rate and the hotel staff kept things running smoothly despite the number of guests.

We did have a couple of problems (the room keys became demagnetized when kept next to my cellphone; one day we left the room around 1pm and it remained undone) the hotel staff sorted things out very quickly. From what we saw, the hotel has exactly two elevators - too few and at times we had to use the stairs (we stayed at the 2nd floor - exit is to the parking lot).

For the rate we paid, I think that this hotel and services were very good.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Beijing, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

The entire hotel is in need of a facelift. The furniture and carpet is stained or gouged, both in the rooms and common areas. The room I stayed in had a musty smell. The cleaning staff is not managed well as evidenced by the fact that when I returned to my room at 3:30 it had not been cleaned. On the up side, the breakfast bar was well tended and they keep a bowl of apples available around the clock. I will find a new hotel when I am in the DC area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Tanja H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Your feedback is important and we listen to our guests. As our hotel is currently undergoing renovation, we will be able to showcase newly renovated guest rooms, meeting space, public and outside areas very soon. It is a big project and we are not only committed to getting it done but also with as few interruptions and inconveniences to our guests as possible. Our housekeeping staff is usually on the floors cleaning rooms between 8 am - 4:30 pm during the weekdays and between 9 am and 5:30 pm on the weekends. We are happy to accommodate any special requests and specific times during which service is preferred or not desired at all.
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

There is ample parking and it's free - YAY.
There are restaurants and shops right across the street so you don't need to drive - double yay.
The staff is pretty decent in that they all seem pretty nice for the most part too and the rooms are nothing to complain about. It's pretty cheap to stay here and it looks like any other hotel you'd pay a little more to stay at as far as the rooms go but there is a massive catch. The walls seem to be paper thin so everyone in the hall way even talking with "indoor voices" can be heard. There always seems to be kids running up and down the halls without fail at the most absurd times and the slamming of doors is abundant. That's probably everywhere you go though right? Well sure maybe but this hotel is literally right next to a major road and just behind ramps to major highways so the noise from the road is almost non stop and it's SUPER loud. This is one of the noisiest hotels I have ever been to and if you don't have earplugs you will not get any sleep. For the noise level alone, I will never stay here again but that's just because I treasure my sleep and am a very light sleeper so it being as noisy as it is just does not allow for me to get any rest whatsoever. If you can sleep through a hurricane this wouldn't be a bad place for you as everything else seems decent.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear zellywelly,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I appreciate your kind words towards our hotel staff and parking service. However, it is truly regrettable that you were not able to fully enjoy your stay because of the noise levels experienced. I have shared your concern with our hotel management for review and consider improvements where needed.

Though we would have preferred you had a better experience, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts, and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Morris, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

On the second morning the fire alarm was being tested all morning. This was very irritating since we were there until 11:30. Also, the pipes were washed out, and the whole parking lot was under water when we needed to load the car. The breakfast was good, except the orange juice is terrible. It separates immediately and tastes like water and sludge on the bottom of the glass. We did not use the van to take us to the Metro because we had 3 small children. I used part points, part cash and was only able to get double beds. I am a Premiere member and asked for an upgrade. We were on the 9th floor where most of the rooms were being remodeled and furniture replaced. We had to walk around furniture and boxes to get down the hall. The room door was old and repainted, making it stick and hard to open. I don't think that was much of an upgrade. The hotel is right by several interstates intersecting, but the noise was not a problem.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Tanja H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear Ms. Morris,
Thank you for your feedback. We sincerely apologize for not being able to provide you with a more enjoyable experience during your stay with us. There is never a good time for our annual fire alarm system & generator testing and even though there are only a few floors left to be renovated, the 9th floor is one of them, unfortunately. Hopefully, we will see you again sometime traveling through the area and will be able to accommodate you in one of our newly renovated rooms or even a suite as a more suitable upgrade for our very valued IHG Reward Members.
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2014

I stayed at this hotel previously, but this time I was very pleased with the changes. The hotel is renovating its rooms, and I was fortunate to receive one of the renovated once. It looked and felt very nice and modern. Although the bathroom is still on the small side, it looked clean and bright. Everything else was as I expected from this chain and this location. One issue that I noticed upon entering the room was that they forgot to provide large bath towels, but this was corrected.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side that does not face the busy interchange off I-95. That side is too noisy...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Tanja H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us as we continue to improve our interiors, exteriors and customer service skills in an efforts of becoming the number one place to stay in the Springfield Area. We listen to our guests and take action on their behalf.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Friendly staff but the room smelled like cigarette smoke even though it was a non smoking room. AC was also very weak in the room leaving it slightly muggy. The free breakfast was barely edible. The ATM was also broken when I needed cash for a cab that didn't take credit or debit. Coffee was good. I would not recommend staying here unless you have no other choice.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
Dear Buddy F,