“Perfect Place for Your Trip to DC” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Weekend Savings!
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Springfield
Brunswick, Maryland
“Perfect Place for Your Trip to DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

Sometimes it's hard to find a hotel in or near DC. but this one is close and has wonderful wonderful staff! It's clean - has a great breakfast, and is fairly reasonable compared to hotels near it.

It's about to be renovated, also - so this will make the heat and ac more controllable. (Our room was a smidgeon hot, but everything else was more than perfect, so we dealt with it. Older system.)

Stacey was an over the top man at the desk, and blessed us at every turn.

Room Tip: Right off 95!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tipp City, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I had to stay for two weeks for business & completely enjoyed my stay. The staff was very professional and bent over backwards top make my stay pleasant. The room was clean and the housecleaning staff did everything to make me comfortable. The wireless access never failed and was fast, even in the evening when everyone was on it. The breakfasts were always tasty, hot and on time. The only thing I did not like was the lack of an on-site restaurant and bar. But there are great restaurants and watering holes within walking distance. The area is clean and safe. I have nothing but great things to say about this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Newnan, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

We've had great success with this chain so I felt confident making this reservation. We were disappointed. There had obviously been a water damage that was repaired in a very patchy way. The hallways are dark with dirty carpet. The AC is musty and ineffective. the ceiling had water stains. The furniture is extremely scratched and dented. There was some kind of police activity in the parking lot. Wow, by far the worst HI Express I've ever seen. These are usually newer and spotless- not so here. Had it not been late and my room rate non-refundable, we would never have stayed here.

• Stayed October 2013
Tanja H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you so very much for your feedback. On behalf of our entire hotel staff, we do apologize for having failed your expectations on all levels. We take great pride in updating our property in all areas. Due to valuable feedback such as yours, we are able to review our current operations, correct any potential deficiencies and better prepare for our future guests. To avoid missing any potential police activity without our direct involvement, we have increased our management and security coverage.
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia, Usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

My guess saw a mouse in the room 619 on Sunday 9/15, I talked with the General Manager on Monday 9/16, We found a small hole in the tub access door; after that never call me or email back.
For this reason never back to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Tanja H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
As a brand-new General Manager at the Holiday Inn Express Springfield, I am saddened to hear about your experience with previous Hotel Management and the lack of communication with you. However, our records indicate that your complaint was investigated promptly by our contracted Pest Control Service and the room was treated as a precautionary measure. No evidence of any mouse droppings were uncovered.
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

OK, this is the first review I’ve EVER written. I don’t normally have the time to write them, but I feel strongly enough about this one…

9th floor (not sure about others) was not in good shape. I felt like I was staying at a 1-1/2 star hotel. Room smelled musty. No electrical outlets near headboards to use for cell phone (for MY alarm clock). PTAC unit was not consistent. It was either really HOT, or really cold…no matter what temp I would set it to. Pillows and bed were extremely uncomfortable (surprised me, because most Holiday Inns have very comfortable pillows). The bed had high and low spots! I was not given the King bed that I booked, I was given a 2 queen/double bed room (not sure if queens or doubles). I called downstairs and asked why I was not given the King, and he said that I had not requested it in my reservation. I went back to my confirmation and it clearly says “1 King Bed With Sofa Bed Non-smoking Business.” Not sure if that’s a problem with my travel agent website (Egencia) communicating with the hotel or not, but still…why is this happening? Free breakfast ends too early.

Biggest problem for me, was the service I got regarding internet usage for my Apple TV (ATV).
It is ridiculous that I should have to pay for the use of my own Apple TV in the room. Like at most hotels, I called the ISP (internet service provider…in this case, Innflux) to register my ATV so that I could bypass the splash screen (since the ATV has no browser, I can't "accept" the terms and conditions via that method). This is a common procedure that I follow ALL the time. I travel at least 2-3 times/month, and most hotels have no problem with this, and the ISPs know exactly how to "register" the device. It's the same when people want to register their game consoles to play on the internet. VERY common.

So, when I called Innflux, the guy first told me that it was "not possible" to do this. This was just outright lying. Then when I pushed the issue, he said, "well it's possible, but I’m not "authorized" to do it. I said I've done it with Innflux many times before (although they are usually the most difficult to deal with), so why is it a problem now? So, he then puts me on hold, comes back and says, "Well, we have a 'work-around' for you...you can login to our website and you can register your device. However, I have to let you know ahead of time…there is a fee.”

This is not a "work-around!" This is HOTEL POLICY, it's not a technical difficulty. It is completely offensive for Innflux to try to blame this on the hardware/software configuration. Like I said, I've done it many times before (even WITH Innflux). When this has come up before, the hotel actually didn't even know that this was the way they had it set up with Innflux. Apparently it’s sort of buried into their contract language with the ISP. Most hotels would fix the issue when brought to their attention...but again, it's the HOTEL's choice whether or not they want to allow their guests to have the ability to use their device in the rooms free of charge.

Meanwhile, the guy downstairs at the hotel, basically says there's nothing he can do (don’t get me wrong, he was very cordial and tried to help as best he can, but his hands were tied). Innflux then CALLS ME BACK, and says, "We're going to do you a favor and allow it 'this time.'" REALLY???! So, what happened to the "not possible" excuse?? B.S! So, then I’m thinking…well, I’ll go ahead and use it since they’re “doing me the favor.” He connects me…within about 15 seconds (simple, huh?). THEN, apparently Innflux is set up to where either Airplay or Homesharing is not possible on their system! OK, no. This prevents me from using my remote control on my phone, which is necessary to operate the ATV! Again…I’ve done it all over the country. Then he admits that, well they can, but it’s for “my security” that they don’t allow it! Ok, which excuse is correct? Is it not possible, or is it that they don’t allow it for my security?? Once again…B.S. Apple TV allows you to create a PIN to prevent unwanted access to your own device. I DO THIS AT MANY OTHER HOTELS, so don’t tell me it’s not possible. And don’t worry about whether I am using my own PIN or not…that’s MY choice.

Bottom line, they intentionally tried to make excuses, when the issue is simply a hotel internet usage policy. JUST ADMIT IT. That's what ticked me off, is that no one would admit the real issue.

Mistakes happen…it’s how you deal with the mistake that matters. However, if the hotel INTENTIONALLY puts this policy into place, then I will just find one of the many other hotels that are happy for me to stay there and watch my own device.

Oh, and by the way, since I couldn’t watch my Apple TV, I turned on the hotel TV, and it kept cutting in and out. It would work for a few minutes, then it would splash on the screen…“signal not available” or something like that. Then about 10 minutes later, it would work again…then not. And, of course they couldn’t do anything about it “until tomorrow.”

Jeez. I won’t be staying there again…nor will I ever stay at a hotel that uses Innflux again. Again, I’m not fussing at the front desk attendant, he was very nice and tried to help.

Room Tip: 9th floor was not very comfy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mary Joy A, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear Me-DallasTX,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your last stay. Here at the Holiday Inn Express Springfield we provide Complimentary High Speed Internet access to our all guests. We were not aware that guests who use Apple TV were having issues logging on to wireless network. I am happy to report that we have worked out a solution to this problem with our vendor and future guests will not have issues logging on to our network with Apple TV or any other “browser-less” device.
I sincerely apologize for the problem and thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Mishawaka, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express mostly for the location. It was between the DC Metro area and my nephew's house (who we were visiting) in McLean, VA. It was right off the Beltway, only a couple of miles from the Springfield Metro station and enough restaurants in the area to suffice. They also had a shuttle service that will take you to the Metro to go into DC. So, it was very convenient. I'm an IHG platinum member and have stayed at many, many different Holiday Inn owned properties and this one is certainly dated, but it was kept up and relatively clean. They were going through a renovation during our stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful, though. You will get many large groups staying at the hotel (youth sports teams, etc...) or groups renting out the banquet hall downstairs, but we didn't have any noise issues with either. Just expect that during the summer season, especially.

The breakfast was very busy every day, so don't go down right before it closes and expect to get much. There was a nice variety, but you should be there at least 1/2 hour before they close it down. When groups are at the hotel, the pool can be pretty busy, too.

The rooms were what I expected - nothing great, but nothing awful. We were on a family vacation and stayed for four nights, so for the value and it's location, it was fine. Just don't have tremendously high expectations for the facility, but the friendly staff made up for those deficiencies.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mary Joy A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear DJC313,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. To better manage our breakfast, we serve tour groups breakfast in our private banquet rooms away from our regular breakfast area. This helps our tour groups to stick to their busy schedule and reduce wait times for our other guests. There may be times we get busy and we work hard to ensure that guests coming down till closing time are served adequately. Thank you again your valuable feedback and we hope we see again sometime soon.
Wichita, Kansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had a room with king size bed, bed was comfortable and I slept good, nice having choice of pillows, firm and soft. The room was clean and smelled nice. The staff was friendly and courteous. I was staying on business and didn't use any of the amenities. Only complaint is location, to get back to the highway you need to drive around the area a little to get to the intersection for access back to the highway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear cpudoc23,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. It is very nice to know that you have slept well. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be. Thank you for staying and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again on your next future visit.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield? Share your experiences!