“Year after year, a nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #9 of 12 hotels in Springfield
Kingsville, Texas
“Year after year, a nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I have stayed at this property for several times in the past two years always on business. The staff is just awesome! Arriving here is like coming home to mom's. They make you feel very much at home. Despite being next to the interstate, it is actually very quiet, a tribute I think to the build. I am usually in a hurry in the morning, yet, find the HOT breakfast which starts at 0630 hours to be not only tasty but wholesome, and usually get a generous amount to my fill. Perhaps one of the best of the staff is Stacey. I do recall he remembered me after my 1st visit almost two years ago and knows my special needs as I sometimes travel with an elderly parent just to get him away. Stacey is particular to ensure my parent is care for and has the type of accommodations he needs. Housekeep too is particular to ensure we are given special attention. At least one of the restaurants just across in the plaza ensure we receive a 10% discount just for staying at this location. They will take you to and from the Airport without a fuss. The WiFi is also without incident, no disconnects as is common in other hotels. That is most important to me as I spend a lot of time on the net. What I really like is that they seem to actually remember you after the first visit and that really makes me feel like I am where I belong and am most comfortable staying.

Room Tip: upper rooms are best
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Chesapeake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I think too often, traveler’s expectations far exceed the reality of what the travel industry beholds. They have a romantic and jaded sense of what a hotel experience should be like. If one would go to a hotel with realistic expectations, more travelers would be surprised at how nice their stay could be.
When I travelled to Washington, DC on March 2 from Virginia Beach, it was not my intention to stay overnight. I had come to the nation’s capital to see a wonderful play at the Arena Stage Theatre. This trip could not have gone more perfect. The drive to DC was traffic free. I arrived at the Franconia-Springfield Metro where I always spark when going to DC. The train ride into DC was relaxing and smooth.
After an extensive amount of walking, a two-hour play, travel back to the Metro, my sister suggested that I get a room for the night instead of driving back to Virginia Beach. I went on Expedia, and searched for hotels in Springfield, VA near the Metro. While on the Metro I reserved a room at this hotel for the grand total of $87.20. I stood on the platform waiting for the connecting Metro to take me to my car and it was freezing on the platform. I arrived at my car numb but I pressed on to the hotel. Finding this place was not easy. I could see it but could not get to it. I called the hotel and Paolo answered it. This kind gentleman stayed on the phone with me until I arrived at the hotel. When I arrived I told him who I was and I thanked him. The check in was super swift and he assured me that my stay would be a memorable one.
I simply do not have one bad thing to say about this hotel. It was clean, the room had ample room, and the bed was super comfy. The bathroom was clean. I didn’t use the shower because I just crashed on top of the covers and rose in the morning. I stayed until noon check out. The breakfast was great—fresh muffins, apple juice, orange juice, hot coffee, French toast, sausage, scrambled eggs. Maybe the best free hotel breakfast I ever had. The food was replenished at least twice when I was down stairs eating, Tracy made sure I had toothpaste and a toothbrush. He was not only friendly and lively, but he was treating the guest like family. When I told him about Paolo he told me how great he was. When I left he urged me to come back again soon. It was like leaving home for the day.
This will definitely be my go to hotel when I go to DC. I just don’t see the need to pay 100 percent more to say in the city or in a pretentious so called 5 –star hotel with pretentious 3-star service given only to those the pretentious hotel staffs deem worthy to receive it. Whether I am spending $50.00 on a room or 500, I want to be treated like a welcomed guest—nothing more and nothing less. It doesn’t take several hundred dollars to do this—just welcoming and smiling faces like Tracy and Paolo for the weary traveler!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My original booking was non-refundable, but the manager was kind enough to allow a new booking to include my employer discount. The staff was very accommodating to my disabled family member, the rooms looked new, they had great breakfast, and they offered free shuttle service daily until 9pm anywhere within a 2-mile radius. They're in walking distance to several restaurants and stores. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Midwest
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed here 3 nights for the Inauguration and had no complaints. Highlights include a good hot breakfast with plenty of seating in bright spacious area off the lobby, clean common areas and room, lots of free parking, and friendly staff. The hotel is located right off main highways and easy to find. They offer a free shuttle to the Franconia-Springfield Metro stop, which takes about 40 minutes to get to the heart of DC.

The only negative would be the bathroom, which was not only tiny but in need of updating. The room itself had modern linens/decor/furniture, but the bathroom would have been more at home in a Motel 6. But it was clean and functional so I'm not complaining.

I do have to give the management a HUGE thumbs up for one thing: there were groups of field trip children staying as well, and the hotel put them in their own breakfast room away from the main one so there wasn't any congestion, which was well thought out and much appreciated!

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and heard no noise.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Athens, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This hotel may not be the shining star of Holiday Inn's, however it was very acceptable. I found my room to be in serviceable order and at a great price (booked online), The staff was extremely curious and that is something i find critical in a Hotel environment. It is especially convenient location for travelers and gave me a fantastic nights sleep. I would recommend this to travelers passing buy in this area! Thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Barbara H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Marylander44,
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is our goal to make sure that every guest loves our hotel. We hope that you stop by again next time you are in our area.
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

This facility has free abundant parking, a well lit parking lot, and nice front desk staff. The rooms are nothing special, but clean with comfie beds and a good value for the dollar. Location is easy to get back on the freeway, near the intersection of 495 dcbeltway and i95 south. There are lots of shops nearby as well as dinner options and bob Evans around the corner for breakfast. Neighborhood is an industrial park, not great for the morning run, but yuneededto get in the road anyway!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Before deciding to book my 5-night stay here I read almost all of the reviews, so I was expecting a typical Holiday Inn Express experience.
Arriving at the hotel the propery appeared old from the outside, however the premises were clean and pleasant. The check-in was very friendly, I was recognized as a platinum PC member and assigned the type and location of the room I had requested in the reservation. Moreover, Stacey explained in detail how the shuttle and the subway work, how to get to downtown DC, even provided a map and also made some dinner suggestions.
The hotel lobby, hallways and elevators were very run down, the doors to the room badly scratched, dented, bumped, the whole property appeared very, very tired. The room itsself had been updated to some extend. However the worse part was the bathroom, which was tiny, with very limited space to put your things on. Moreoever, the metal parts of the sink were rusty, the tap would not close completely, so there was constant water dripping and the bathtub would drain extremely slowly. There were also quite some problems in the room: on our first day there was no bar soap in the room, on our second day the housekeeping didn't leave any coffee, there was one light bulb missing in the table lamp, the room was only vacumed on our 3rd night and the bed matresses were overused and producing squeeky noises with every move. Contrary to some reviews here the room was not at all soundproof, the noise from the traffic was quite bothersome. We also used the laundry room, which was rather dirty. I also found it somewhat unpleasant that you could enter the hotel from the side door at any time of night. Even though the doors were supposed to be locked at night, they were not.
On the positive side: the complimentary shuttle to the Metro station is great, it is fast and very convenient, every member of the staff is very friendly, polite and professional. It is too bad the hotel is not renewed completely and managed in a better way.
Had I been paying their usual USD 100+ a night rates, I would have been rather angry for choosing this property. As I redeemed my PC points I was OK with staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Barbara H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Slo-Lju, I want to personally thank you for your comments. We value your honesty in telling us what you think about our hotel. Your input gives us the opportunity to improve our product. I was especially concerned about your experience regarding the cleaniliness of our hotel. I can assure you that we will take the appropriate action to rectify this situation. Please do give us the chance to prove to you that we can do better.

Been to Holiday Inn Express Washington DC SW-Springfield? Share your experiences!